Hitman Mock 2.0 Pre Combine

Steeler Hitman

I am confused as heck about all of the Steelers pick. Please feel free to clarify this. They should have a total of eight (8) picks.  They get the 49'ers 5th in the McDonald trade. They lost their 6th with a trade with TB for JJ Wilcox. The NFL awarded a 5th round comp pick and the NFL awarded them a 6th round pick instead of a 7th for the trade with the Giants for Ross Cockrell last year.

1. Uchenna Nwosu OLB USC 6'2 245 - - I didn't see my board falling this way, but in my mind the top DL's, ILB's and safeties are all off my board at #28.  The BPA and also fits a need is Nwosu.  Yes, the Steelers have invested heavily at OLB and I am personally not crazy about this, but he is insurance and helps us get tougher and more versatile on the edge.  He is raw and projects as a better pro than he was in college ( I know we said the same about Bud and Jarvis too). He has a motor which is a huge positive and he would pair well and give quite an OLB rotation with Bud and TJ. I would have loved to get Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne at DL.  My ILB studs are all gone as well....No Smith, no Evans, and no Edmunds at ILB.  Safety prospects James, Fitzpatrick, Elliot, Harrison, and Reid are also gone.

CtARB00UkAAkNmS.jpg

2. Skai Moore ILB South Carolina 6'2 220 - - A very athletic and quick ILB who excels in pass coverage. He has 14 career INT's in four seasons as an ILB.  He helps in being able to cover RB's and TE's.  While he will get caught inside in the running game at times and is smallish for our defensive scheme.  I have been watching some SCU games with Skai playing and I am liking what I see so far. He is a high character guy and former team captain. I think his skills translate well to the NFL level.  My two concerns he had a herniated disk and his weight.  Although he could probably pack on another 10 - 15 pounds of muscle over the next few years naturally.    He seems to have recovered well from the disk injury. I believe the Steelers will sign a veteran ILB to start and I could see a player like Skai still having an impact on passing downs and in the Nickel. He is not Ryan Shazier, but a player who can replace him on passing downs and may actually be a little better and more natural in that role than even Ryan was.

skai-moore-int1-515x350.jpg

3.Kazir White SS WVU  6'2 215 - - Cross in style as a more athletic version of Cam Chancellor and a slightly less versatile and athletic Sean Davis. He strengthens the middle of the defense and gives us a solid tackling safety with some intimidation and coverage skills. He is a player that I see being a better and even more productive pro than he was in college. I have watched him play and I like what he could bring to our defense. He is not the rangy type of free safety everyone covets, but his versatility and ability to tackle make him a solid fit in the Nickel when the Steelers go three safeties.

WVU-Football-Kyzir-White.jpg

5 A. 49'ers Pick - - BJ Hill NG/DT NC State 6'4 315 - - No doubt the Steelers need to get bigger and tougher in the middle.  Hill has the size to play some NG and is still able to flex inside at DT and provide some girth and allow Hargraves to penetrate. 

usa-today-8178529.0.jpg

5 B. Steelers Pick - - Jordan Whitehead FS Pittsburgh 5'10 195 - - I had him in my last mock as well.  He had some discipline issues in college, but many young guys do.  Because of this, a very good player who has the potential to excel in pass coverage falls to the Steelers. Along with Davis and White, he would form a very young, athletic and versatile group of safeties.  Whitehead has the range to play FS and could be one the best center fielders that the Steelers have had since Darin Perry.  Whitehead is a much better athlete than Perry was.

Johnell+Barnes+Jordan+Whitehead+Pittsbur

5 C. Comp Pick - - Greg Stroman CB/PR VA Tech 6' 180 - - I like his punt return ability.  He has the ability to flip the field and give the team more than simply a clean fair catch on punts.  Will make his living as special teamer and that is alright. He would not need to worry about playing CB at this time as he would be the PR and gunner.

th?id=OIP.4FXSpoMcaTV0ZOvJ4UJxiQEsCo&pid

6. Giants pick - - Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State 6'5 215 - - Big target who will try to compete for a roster spot as a #5 or #6 WR

Scott.jpg

7 B. Steelers Pick - -  Brian Allen C Michigan State 6'5 305 - - Insurance should BJ go and a good player to develop as well.

brian-allen-michigan-state-spartans-sign

I am not as crazy about this one as the last, but it seems a little more realistic as well. Thoughts?

Position wise I like and understand it. Two things about the 1st rounder though

1. Don't think Nwosu has great value at 28 honestly, could probably be had 60 IMO

2. I would be shocked if 5 safeties go before our pick

I know it's a mock, but I think trading back from 28 at that point would be our best option. Surely someone would have slid if 5 safeties went off 

Overall I would give it a B-

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

1. Uchenna Nwosu OLB USC 6'2 245 - - I didn't see my board falling this way, but in my mind the top DL's, ILB's and safeties are all off my board at #28.  The BPA and also fits a need is Nwosu.  Yes, the Steelers have invested heavily at OLB and I am personally not crazy about this, but he is insurance and helps us get tougher and more versatile on the edge.  He is raw and projects as a better pro than he was in college ( I know we said the same about Bud and Jarvis too). He has a motor which is a huge positive and he would pair well and give quite an OLB rotation with Bud and TJ. I would have loved to get Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne at DL.  My ILB studs are all gone as well....No Smith, no Evans, and no Edmunds at ILB.  Safety prospects James, Fitzpatrick, Elliot, Harrison, and Reid are also gone.

If Leighton Vander Esch is available at 28, there is no way the Steelers pass him up.  He's the best ILB in the draft IMO so I'm praying he falls to 28.

Also, its highly unlikely all those safeties will be gone before the Steelers pick.  If they are gone, then that means some stud nobody saw falling (like Marcus Davenport or Arden Key) will be available at 28.  Which I don't see that happening.  There's a good chance that the only safeties gone by 28 are Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

3 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

Position wise I like and understand it. Two things about the 1st rounder though

1. Don't think Nwosu has great value at 28 honestly, could probably be had 60 IMO

2. I would be shocked if 5 safeties go before our pick

I know it's a mock, but I think trading back from 28 at that point would be our best option. Surely someone would have slid if 5 safeties went off 

Overall I would give it a B-

Thanks for the feedback. I think I overthought the first round. I agree because as I stated, I struggled with the pick there. I was tempted to do some trades. Falling back in the first and trying to package a two fives to move up in the forth.  Safeties are usually not that much of a priority, but with the amount of talent, I rolled the dice and thought there may be a run on them.

3 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I like the first 2 picks if they are bumped back a round.

I would agree, but picking at 28th you are faced with taking the player or missing the player the next round. I took them assuming most of who I wanted got snatched up beforehand.

3 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I also like Nwosu as an ILB, not a 3-4 OLB.

Interesting. I could see that with his body type, but not sure how instinctive he would be for that. If you recall, many people said that about James Harrison as well early in his career.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

If Leighton Vander Esch is available at 28, there is no way the Steelers pass him up.  He's the best ILB in the draft IMO so I'm praying he falls to 28.

Also, its highly unlikely all those safeties will be gone before the Steelers pick.  If they are gone, then that means some stud nobody saw falling (like Marcus Davenport or Arden Key) will be available at 28.  Which I don't see that happening.  There's a good chance that the only safeties gone by 28 are Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

I see that Esch is rising and I actually assumed he was drafted as well. Although I forgot to add him. I am not sure he is the best ILB in the draft, but I see he is gaining some early draft love from some of the so-called experts. I do thank you for your input on him in your previous mock.

They are mocks and hard to predict at this point without Combine, Pro Days and all the juicy info that comes out about players. I did the best I could with the scenario that I played in my head.  This is actually why I usually don't like doing mocks early. I am stepping out and at least trying this year.

From a positional standpoint, I love it.   We should be investing as many available resources into fixing our defense as possible.   Our offense is already easily SB caliber, especially if we retain both Bell and Vance McDonald.      HOWEVER, I do seriously doubt we dont draft a single offensive player to round 6.   I would be completely fine with it....but it seems highly unlikely.  

And as Peezy said, Nwosu is NOT an OLB/pass rusher in our defense.    He is strictly an ILB.    Could be a good blitzer from the ILB position, but he will never be a pure pass rusher.    We need two ILBs, so it could still work, but if youre looking for an edge rusher, this isnt the guy.

15 hours ago, VanS said:

If Leighton Vander Esch is available at 28, there is no way the Steelers pass him up. He's the best ILB in the draft IMO so I'm praying he falls to 28.

1.   Ive heard people say the Steelers will never pass up certain players that they ended up passing on without hesitation....sometimes twice....in the same draft.  So thats just wishful thinking.

2. Him being the best ILB in the draft is purely your opinion.  You are more than entitled to that opinion, but its not a fact.   Wouldnt even be on my draft board, personally.     I see nothing special about him whatsoever.   Reminds me of Stewart Bradley.       Obviously thats just MY opinion.....but I dont think he is a surefire bet to be a first rounder at all.   I hope he tests really well at the combine and some team (that isnt us) reaches on him.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

From a positional standpoint, I love it.   We should be investing as many available resources into fixing our defense as possible.   Our offense is already easily SB caliber, especially if we retain both Bell and Vance McDonald.      HOWEVER, I do seriously doubt we don't draft a single offensive player to round 6.   I would be completely fine with it....but it seems highly unlikely.  

Realistically you are probably right. I don't know how the players fall and what the teams draft focus will be after addressing the obvious.  I see most offensive picks as luxury picks this year.  The OL is deep and I like some guys on the roster currently like Fiedler and Friend. I think they re-sign Bell, so RB is not a need. Personally, I would be happy with Connor and Ridley backing up Bell. I like the WR's. The possibility here may be a slot type of guy since Eli got hurt. I like our trio of TE's. Vance is pretty good if he can stay healthy.  Outlaw is up and down, but still improving. The X-man is improving as well and is a good cap value. Unless a scenario happens where by some miracle a franchise QB plummets, I say no to a QB right now as well with Dobbs and Landry.

And as Peezy said, Nwosu is NOT an OLB/pass rusher in our defense.    He is strictly an ILB.    Could be a good blitzer from the ILB position, but he will never be a pure pass rusher.    We need two ILBs, so it could still work, but if you're looking for an edge rusher, this isn't the guy.

I struggled with making the pick and honestly it just didn't feel right for me. However, I did see some good things from what I saw of him which is why I did it as well. If we draft an OLB, he had better be someone who can rush from the edge (and drop in coverage, but that's another discussion). O.oI am glad that everyone gave me their input on him as I don't know a whole lot about him.  I do like Skai very much. I think he would be an excellent fit and role player as we did LJ Fort last year.  This guy can drop extremely well.

1.   Ive heard people say the Steelers will never pass up certain players that they ended up passing on without hesitation....sometimes twice....in the same draft.  So that's just wishful thinking.

Never a truer statement. Seems like every year so one says, "No way so and so last past whoever....unfortunately and inevitably, more often than not, they do.

2. Him being the best ILB in the draft is purely your opinion.  You are more than entitled to that opinion, but its not a fact.   Wouldn't even be on my draft board, personally.     I see nothing special about him whatsoever.   Reminds me of Stewart Bradley.       Obviously that's just MY opinion.....but I don't think he is a surefire bet to be a first rounder at all.   I hope he tests really well at the combine and some team (that isn't us) reaches on him.

He is catching fire in the mocks and on many draft boards. We have seen this happen a million times too. I don't know enough about him. From what I have seen so far, he moves very well. Not sure that his play recognition/diagnosis is as quick as his legs.  Like a lot of guys that I have seen so far, he is not great at getting off of blockers from the limited stuff I have seen. Just  a quick assessment, not thorough or complete.  He does look like he could play in the NFL, but like you I am not sure that he looks like #1 from what I've seen so far and definitely not the #1 ILB in my ratings.

Archived