Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Is anyone else getting just at least a little bit excited about Kevin White?  Hearing how fast he looks on the field right now?  I know its a long way to go to the opener, but White's skillset that got him drafted is a perfect fit for this offense.  Im looking at Kevin White like a powerball ticket right now.  The money is already spent you are just waiting to see the results.  If it doesn't work out, no big deal, but if it does its going to pay BIG.

I hope he succeeds.  He seems a nice guy from a good family.  Be a good year to do it.  

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I hope he succeeds.  He seems a nice guy from a good family.  Be a good year to do it.  

I’m here for the copious amounts of dot connecting combined with unwarranted panic if we pick White’s brother in the middle rounds next week. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, G08 said:

Got wood.  You like Bears entirely too much.  Good for White.  He spoke with reporters other day and sounded depressed especially when they asked him about not getting his option picked up..  Kind of bittersweet for Bears as an org. if he does turn into stud in his last year.  But no way they could reasonably pick up that 5th year option given his history.  Even if he steps in and gets 800 yards this year at 20 ypc who is going to give him big money with his injury history?  No one.  He will get a series of 1 or 2 year deals, if any, from here on out.  

They play psychological games by running Daniels and Smith with 2nd and 3rd teams.   Everyone has to earn their position and all that.  Not sure how effective they are.  Those guys are starting.  GM knows it, ,coaches know it, fans know it and players know it.

What did Glennon do to earn starting job last year?  He sucked in practice, pre season and games.  He was promised job and highly paid and that was that.   He had to play his way out of it in real games.  (One of) Dumbest thing Bears ever did was let Glennon take 1000's of practice reps that should have gone to MT.   

What has Hronnis Grassu done to earn first team snaps?  Nothing.  He is simply taking them to send a message to Daniel's not to be complacent. 

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What has Hronnis Grassu done to earn first team snaps?  Nothing.  He is simply taking them to send a message to Daniel's not to be complacent.

Grasu isn't getting first team reps, he's getting 2nd team reps at OC with Daniels to his left at LG.

Rookie James Daniels continues to get reps at guard with the No. 2 offense and at center with the 3’s. Hroniss Grasu is getting his shot at center in an offense coordinated by his old college coach, Mark Helfrich… 

I guess it didn't say Grasu is getting first team reps.  But that sentence read quickly gives that impression.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Even if he steps in and gets 800 yards this year at 20 ypc who is going to give him big money with his injury history?  No one. 

I don’t know that I agree with this. I suppose it depends on what you’d term to be “big money”. If he puts up 40/800 as you suggest he’s probably getting Paul Richardson money IMO. By the time we actually get to the start of FA the demand always far exceeds the supply. 

If White does go for 800 yards this season he will be the #2 WR on this team...maybe even the #2 in over targets...I doubt we would let him walk if he starts paying up to his obvious skill set...if White does reach his potential this receiving core with Robinson as the #1...Miller in the slot...Gabriel as a joker as well as Cohen getting some reps there will be pretty unstoppable...that's before you add in Burton & Shaheen who could also both come up big.

Given that Nagy's plan appears to have White playing at the "Y" position behind ARob unless he's injured I can't see any practical way White will get 800 yards receiving.  IMHO the objective should be to use him and Gabriel as deep threats and on slants they can break open for long gains.  Essentially that's all of what was asked of him at WVU and it's about all that should be expected from him now. 

If he can't even come close to repeating his college success doing what he did well there what are the chances he learns the NFL Route Tree well enough to ever become a complete receiver?  Nagy is preaching "Baby Steps" as far as guys learning the offense goes and I think they should apply that same idea with White.  Keep his role simple and allow him to succeed and regain his confidence.

We can worry about whether or not to bring him back later.  At the moment he's no more than a #4 WR.

In White's defense reportedly his leg injuries were so severe that he had to relearn how to walk and run again - twice.  You can see how that would be frustrating and depressing.

I kinda recall the Houston/Bears game from some years back and contrast between Fuller and White.  I think White messed up a stick route, which is a 2 way read route and basically didn't get looked at again.  Conversely, Houston's Fuller had a big game that day running just 9 routes(go/fly), slants, hitches and screens.   He just had to run fast and catch the ball.  No thinking.  

I said at time that's blueprint for exactly what Bears should have doing with White.   Just do easy routes with a stud inexperienced athletic WR until he gets it.   If you want you can even have those routes be easy option pre-snap reads for a newbie based on position of CB and signal from QB when you get cover 3 or other run heavy D look with single deep safety.   If he is off so far than its a hitch or smoke or slant or screen.  If its press than it's a Go/Post/back shoulder or Slant.   If he has outside leverage than its slant.  If he has inside leverage its Go or Fade to the outside.   If it's inbetween depthwise it can be a screen or whatever was called.   It's enough to keep a defense honest in all aspects and isn't rocket science.  I've seen 13 year olds who can do it.   If guy is athletic enough that is all he really ever has to do anyway.      

Reading a LB/Safety/Nickel mid-route is hard and takes 100's of reps even for smart guys.  Hard to do without live reps.   Some guys learn read routes in college and some in high school and college, those that don't need those reps.  In places like FL and much of South they learn it in high school in Spring and Fall with 1000s of live reps.  You can't just throw a guy into it even if he has learned it on paper.

• 1 month later...

Been watching a ton of tape on Sam Beal. Coming away extremely impressed and I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute using next years 3rd to draft him next week. Groom him to take over for Prince in a year or two. 

I know a lot of people will scoff at not having a 2nd OR 3rd next year but it’s not a package, we’re getting players for each of those picks. Just a year early. 

Imagine coming away with Roquan Smith, James Daniels, Anthony Miller, and Sam Beal in the same draft class...?. Talk about ELITE.

3 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Been watching a ton of tape on Sam Beal. Coming away extremely impressed and I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute using next years 3rd to draft him next week. Groom him to take over for Prince in a year or two. 

I know a lot of people will scoff at not having a 2nd OR 3rd next year but it’s not a package, we’re getting players for each of those picks. Just a year early. 

Imagine coming away with Roquan Smith, James Daniels, Anthony Miller, and Sam Beal in the same draft class...?. Talk about ELITE.

I haven't the time to check him out myself, but I've read good things. If you're right in your grading, I wouldn't mind that pick up, either. Really, why not? 

• 3 weeks later...

Howdi all, back after a long hiatus. This is not really thread worthy but worth watching over the next few months and season. Khalil Mack is holding out for a new deal and his camp may press for better than Von Miller money. Gruden has been quoted as saying it may come down to a tough decision of letting him go next off season if this round of negotiations does not bear fruit. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/Khalil-Mack-holdout-addressed-by-Jon-Gruden-ahead-of-training-camp-119971257/

Another person who unquestionably can't be happy about Mack's holdout is Raiders coach Jon Gruden. On Friday, at his fan appreciation event, Gruden spoke with ESPN's Paul Gutierrez about Mack's current holdout and didn't give much reason for optimism, stating that he's going to keep his fingers crossed.

"That might be the toughest decision I have to figure out right now. We’re not the only team that’s faced with that. It’s tough. It’s part of this business and we’ll just keep our fingers crossed." Gruden told Gutierrez.

It's obviously not a good sign, and while Gruden surely knows where things stand with negotiations, hopefully, he's just keeping the information close to the vest.

The last rumblings we heard relating to Mack and anything about his contract came from Joel Corry of CBS Sports who stated the Raiders may be having "sticker shock" about the size of a potential deal.

Archived