Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

Here’s my input on a potential Jordan Howard trade rumors:

His value is maybe a third rounder at best. Definitely not higher. So he can be moved to recoup a third in a 1:1 trade (Howard for a third). I totally get that move even if it’s not a popular one.

The other scenario that’s being talked about is #8 plus Howard to move up. This makes no sense when any team ahead of the Bears could just a) take Saquon (a better receiver and pass protector than Howard) if they’re picking high enough, or b) land a better player at their current spot and then draft a RB from this loaded class in a later round.

5 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Here’s my input on a potential Jordan Howard trade rumors:

His value is maybe a third rounder at best. Definitely not higher. So he can be moved to recoup a third in a 1:1 trade (Howard for a third). I totally get that move even if it’s not a popular one.

The other scenario that’s being talked about is #8 plus Howard to move up. This makes no sense when any team ahead of the Bears could just a) take Saquon (a better receiver and pass protector than Howard) if they’re picking high enough, or b) land a better player at their current spot and then draft a RB from this loaded class in a later round.

If your Indy and you can net a Pro Bowl RB and still likely have a shot at Nelson at 8 has to be about as ideal of scenario for the Colts as there is. 

1 hour ago, bkokot said:

I think a RB like Howard is what offenses like this are usually missing.  Teams that are great at the big play usually seem to have more trouble than they should converting on 3rd and short.

To me, knowing that we can hand it to Howard and he will fall forward for a yard is clutch.  I agree that he's not someone that you pay in the long term, but I think if we lost him in the future in FA, I'd want to draft a similar player to replace him.

Interesting point of view, I see where you’re coming from. I think Howard’s lack of explosiveness, lack of versatility, and his ineptness catching the ball is concerning in Nagys offense. I’d be shocked if Howard was here past 2019.

6 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

If your Indy and you can net a Pro Bowl RB and still likely have a shot at Nelson at 8 has to be about as ideal of scenario for the Colts as there is. 

Yeah but Indi can also take Nelson at 6 and potentially get Guice/Michel/Jones at 35.

I'd have to imagine the deal would be Howard + #8 to grab either #4 or #6 and take Barkley.... 

First, I'm skeptical that's enough to move up to #4, where I expect Barkley should go.. And I can't say I'd be willing to pay more than that. I also see absolutely zero scenarios where it makes sense to do that kind of trade anytime before ou trade partner is already on the clock, with our desired pick on the board... so I can't really believe this is something that's actually happening...  Just a weird story to come up again about a possible Howard deal. 

That being said, given the lack of one real stand out elite prospect in our range.... And my belief that Barkley is the best player of this entire draft, as well as a perfect scheme fit, I'm actually in favor of us trying to do this deal if he's on the board at 4 or 6. It'd suck to see Howard go after two pretty amazing years, but I would at least understand the reasoning. That being said, it'd be a massive career risk for Pace... Because not only does Trubisky have to hit, but Barkley then has to come in and outperform Jordan freaking Howard's career elsewhere.. and Jordan has been a proven commodity /pro bowl level runner in both of his two years... I'd admire the balls that kind of move takes, but damn would he be playing with fire. 

10 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Interesting point of view, I see where you’re coming from. I think Howard’s lack of explosiveness, lack of versatility, and his ineptness catching the ball is concerning in Nagys offense. I’d be shocked if Howard was here past 2019.

FWIW, the Eagles run a derivative of this offense and their top targeted RB in the passing game was Wendell Smallwood with 18.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd have to imagine the deal would be Howard + #8 to grab either #4 or #6 and take Barkley.... 

First, I'm skeptical that's enough to move up to #4, where I expect Barkley should go.. And I can't say I'd be willing to pay more than that. I also see absolutely zero scenarios where it makes sense to do that kind of trade anytime before ou trade partner is already on the clock, with our desired pick on the board... so I can't really believe this is something that's actually happening...  Just a weird story to come up again about a possible Howard deal. 

That being said, given the lack of one real stand out elite prospect in our range.... And my belief that Barkley is the best player of this entire draft, as well as a perfect scheme fit, I'm actually in favor of us trying to do this deal if he's on the board at 4 or 6. It'd suck to see Howard go after two pretty amazing years, but I would at least understand the reasoning. That being said, it'd be a massive career risk for Pace... Because not only does Trubisky have to hit, but Barkley then has to come in and outperform Jordan freaking Howard's career elsewhere.. and Jordan has been a proven commodity /pro bowl level runner in both of his two years... I'd admire the balls that kind of move takes, but damn would he be playing with fire. 

I have to disagree here. We can't be a 100% certain that Saquan Barkley will be an elite player in the NFL. We can be assured that Howard will be 100% good-to-great RB for us next year. Plus even if Barkely is elite we will have 5 years of play tops. I would much rather make this move to get Chubb and then draft a RB in the second or third. 

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I have to disagree here. We can't be a 100% certain that Saquan Barkley will be an elite player in the NFL. We can be assured that Howard will be 100% good-to-great RB for us next year. Plus even if Barkely is elite we will have 5 years of play tops. I would much rather make this move to get Chubb and then draft a RB in the second or third. 

I don't think Chubb is good enough to justify this kind of a deal.... Barkley looks like the next Barry Sanders and you probably have to be buying that kind of a generational talent to even consider dumping a very good /nearly elite Howard for him. 

Chubb on the other hand feels like a better fit as a 4-3 end, and honestly at best start good NFL starter. Imo he's just a big fish in a very small edge pond this year rather than an elite talent himself. Personally I think Landry would end up having a better overall career with us at OLB than Chubb would, and even then as much as I like Landry, I think he's a good maybe even very good, but not elite talent. 

Apparently the Bears offered Malcolm Butler a 3/$30m deal

RT @MySportsUpdate: New #Titans CB Malcolm butler says he had three offers in free agency.

#Bears: 3 years, $30M

#Titans: 5 years, $61M

#Texans: 1-year, $ undisclosed

Matt Patricia and the #Lions reached out but never made an offer. Butler eventually signed with Tennessee.

Just now, TankWilliams said:

I would have been happy with 3 years 30 million on Butler.  I think titans overpaid.  Glad we didn't panic and throw a big offer at him.

This is right around what Bears ended up paying for Amukamara, 3 years $27M.  I think Butler is good but I don;t think he's that much better than Prince.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love videos like that. I’d agree about White despite the like 2 seconds of him lol. Noticed #99 Lynch in the same frame as Fuller, so he’s clearly working with the starters. He did have 6 sacks under Vic as a rookie.... how many rookies would come in and produce 6+ sacks? Maybe 2 in Chubb/Davenport? He’s a guy that we might be sleeping on that’s gunna have a much more prominent role than some of us think...

Archived