Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

45 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First of all guys get cut all the time that has nothing to do with FA 2nd of all, the tagging period has just begin, and to the best of my knowledge NO ONE has actually been tagged yet.  There is a 2 week tagging period so we will actually know a lot more at the conclusion of the combine who is and isnt available.  Secondly Mike Glennon didnt work out no one is disputing that.  But Mike Glennon was the #1 available QB on the market last year. He was going to get $18M from somebody bc that is AVERAGE starter money at the position.  Thats right they didnt think Mike Glennon was super awesome.  They thought he could be an average, or in analytics terms replacement level qb to allow them to develop a young qb that everybody knew they were going to be drafting.  As such they built an out after 1 year bc thats all they wanted from him. They got probably 6-10 less games out of glennon as a starter than they expected.  It doesnt absolve them bc it was clearly a bad signing but we have to look at reality and not just perception. Finally lets clear something up.  Josh Sitton was not cut.  His contract had ended but the Bears had a team option to resign him for 1 year at $8M guaranteed.  They declined the option.  For those complaining about declining the option now versus cutting him before the season after they have the "bird in the hand" is here, had that happened you now have $8M in dead money and still no Josh Sitton.  What benefit is there? Sometimes when you are building an organization you make a move that makes the team worse short term but is better for the long term.  Pace is trying to build a top end franchise from the ground up here you cant do that by stagnating player development with an aging player making too much money plugging the position.  I cant remember who but somebody once said if youre not getting better youre getting worse.  Thats what this is really about.

You say " Sometimes when you are building an organization you make a move that makes the team worse short term but is better for the long term " but frankly we've been living the ****ty-in-the-short-term lie for a while as Bears fans and it's getting old.  I undestand what the money tells you to do, but they don't have 2 starting guards now, the FA options are not great (although probably better than WR or OLB) and they only have 7 draft picks.

Where is their starting guard going to come from?

What is the price they will pay for getting him and what could they have done with those resources?

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

You say " Sometimes when you are building an organization you make a move that makes the team worse short term but is better for the long term " but frankly we've been living the ****ty-in-the-short-term lie for a while as Bears fans and it's getting old.  I undestand what the money tells you to do, but they don't have 2 starting guards now, the FA options are not great (although probably better than WR or OLB) and they only have 7 draft picks.

What is the price they will pay for getting him and what could they have done with those resources?

Oh man I'm turning into Windy without the research...

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

This is what happens when you are a fan bc until news breaks we have no idea.  Its about trusting the process.  Ryan Pace has demonstrated to me that he has a long term plan and vision for this team and it coincides with mine.  They have a potential starter in Eric Kush, although hes coming back from injury. They may have decided to draft Quentin Nelson.  They may have a handshake deal with one of the FAs.  Again we dont know anything.  And truthfully none of it matters, bc the bears decided not to overpay an aging declining player and that is smart team management.  Its a good decision regardless of who the replacement is.  Whether the replacement is a good decision will be up for debate when we know who that is.

Jeremiah Attaochu has been a bust/injured quite a bit but he's young (just turned 25) and has intriguing measurables.

Kony Ealy is another name (just turned 26)

Trent Murphy (just turned 27)

Alex Okafor (just turned 27)

Julius Peppers (not going to happen)

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Bears release both Quentin Demps and Pernell McPhee...

Now what are they waiting for with Glennon...lol

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/373677/bears-release-pernell-mcphee-quintin-demps?ls=roto:NFL:topheadlines

Feels as tho something is coming...either via trade or we are going to go balls to the wall in free agency...

All 3 of the releases make sense.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Jeremiah Attaochu has been a bust/injured quite a bit but he's young (just turned 25) and has intriguing measurables.

Kony Ealy is another name (just turned 26)

Trent Murphy (just turned 27)

Alex Okafor (just turned 27)

Julius Peppers (not going to happen)

I was all for Kony Ealy at #14 in 2014, so now I’ll double down: Kony Ealy or bust.

1. Can play outside or inside

2. Should have been Super Bowl MVP

3. Has a really cool name

Archived