Cowboys DRAFT: Ridley vs. Kirk

Super4

Who would be a better option in Dallas?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be a better option in Dallas?

• Calvin Ridley
    • Christian Kirk

I was having a discussion with a couple people at work about this and I'm wondering what you all think here.  Assuming under this scenario that Calvin Ridley (who I don't believe will be on the board still) and Christian Kirk were available at #19 for the Dallas Cowboys, and they were looking to take a WR at that pick, who should the Cowboys take as it would be a better fit in their offense?  I'm of the firm belief that most if not all people feel that Ridley is the better draft prospect, but I think Christian Kirk would do wonders for the Cowboys offense.

7 hours ago, Super4 said:

I'm of the firm belief that most if not all people feel that Ridley is the better draft prospect, but I think Christian Kirk would do wonders for the Cowboys offense.

I'm one of those that do think Ridley is the better player but I'm naturally curious as to why you think Kirk would be a better fit for the Cowboys than Ridley would? Do you think that his particular skill set is more aligned with what the Cowboys do offensively or what? I don't know enough about the Cowboys ' scheme to say one way or the other and I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I do. That's why I'm asking.

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm one of those that do think Ridley is the better player but I'm naturally curious as to why you think Kirk would be a better fit for the Cowboys than Ridley would? Do you think that his particular skill set is more aligned with what the Cowboys do offensively or what? I don't know enough about the Cowboys ' scheme to say one way or the other and I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I do. That's why I'm asking.

I appreciate the honest response.  I also agree that, at a glance Ridley would appear to be the better WR overall, but situationally Kirk would fit better into what the Cowboys do.  I guess the term I would use, since the organization has been throwing it around lately is, more "Dak friendly".

Kirk's skillset for the short and intermediate routes, and YAC ability is better than Ridley in my opinion (it's still close) and that's exactly what the Cowboys I believe are moving more towards.  He's a dynamic player with the ball in his hands and can turn a 5 to15 yard pass into a 30-40 yard gain consistently.  I think we're going to cut Cole Beasley and give Switzer more and more plaing time in Cole's place, and having a guy like Kirk completely opens up the field since he also has the ability to blow by defenders and take the top off of a defense.

Do I think coming out of school he's better than Ridley?  No, but it's close.  Do I think he's thrive in the Cowboys offense more than Ridley?  Without a doubt.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not to be that guy but shouldnt this be in the Cowboys forum? 

Also i think Ridley would do just fine in Big D

It would be if it was... "Hey should the Cowboys just go with [insert player name] at #19?  My question was comparing who'd be a better fit?  Would it belong soley in the Dolphins forum if I said.. "Who'd be a better coach in today's football?  Shula or Johnson?" 

Also, thanks for your riveting input.

11 hours ago, Super4 said:

I appreciate the honest response.  I also agree that, at a glance Ridley would appear to be the better WR overall, but situationally Kirk would fit better into what the Cowboys do.  I guess the term I would use, since the organization has been throwing it around lately is, more "Dak friendly".

Kirk's skillset for the short and intermediate routes, and YAC ability is better than Ridley in my opinion (it's still close) and that's exactly what the Cowboys I believe are moving more towards.  He's a dynamic player with the ball in his hands and can turn a 5 to15 yard pass into a 30-40 yard gain consistently.  I think we're going to cut Cole Beasley and give Switzer more and more plaing time in Cole's place, and having a guy like Kirk completely opens up the field since he also has the ability to blow by defenders and take the top off of a defense.

Do I think coming out of school he's better than Ridley?  No, but it's close.  Do I think he's thrive in the Cowboys offense more than Ridley?  Without a doubt.

Thanks for the clarity. I guess you and I have very different opinions on Kirk and what his abilities are limited too. IMO he's strictly a slot receiver(albeit a VERY god one) with the upside to become a very good outside #2 in the right system IF he is paired with another legit target. Based on the scenario that you provided, it be more suitable to draft Kirk to replace Beasley in the slot IMHO. But then again, if your confident in Switzer then why would you draft Kirk at all? 

Unless you believe that Kirk can be a #1 receiver right out the gate. Which again is something I disagree with.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:30 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Unless you believe that Kirk can be a #1 receiver right out the gate. Which again is something I disagree with.

And I think this is where this disconnect is.  I do honestly believe he can be a #1 in this league, and even moreso, at the very least we can get the same production out of him that we get from Dez and for a cheaper pricetag.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, Super4 said:

It would be if it was... "Hey should the Cowboys just go with [insert player name] at #19?  My question was comparing who'd be a better fit?  Would it belong soley in the Dolphins forum if I said.. "Who'd be a better coach in today's football?  Shula or Johnson?" 

Also, thanks for your riveting input.

Not going to pretend to know much about either player, but this would be a better fit in the NFL Draft forum than NFL comparisons seeing as both of these players are entering the draft.

Or yeah, the Cowboys forum would work better as well. NFL comparisons is for present and past NFL players moreso than future players.

Archived