Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

• 2 weeks later...

Could new pitching coach Derek Johnson have fixed Robert Stephenson?  Bob Steve has been our best reliever to start the year.  6.1 IP, 1.42 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, 8 K vs 1 BB.  Granted, it's early, but he's looking much more confident on the mound and hitting his spots for the first time since Low A.

I'm surprised.  I thought the only way that he would be successful is to be put in the rotation and sent out there every 5 days with no extra stress on him. He did so poorly with the erratic use as a reliever last year,  I didn't believe he had the mental makeup.  Glad to see him pitching with confidence. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Senzel is back from injury and has been assigned to AAA.  I assume he gets a week or two there to act as another bit of spring training and we see him up playing CF then.  The clock is ticking for Scott Schebler to get going if he still wants to get consistent at bats.  He showed some signs of life after his 1 for 20 start for about 5 games but is 1 for his last 15.

After the disastrous 1-8 start, the Reds are now 8-5 over their last 13 games.  A good win over the Braves last night, it'd be big to win this series against a team most see as a contender in the NL.  Bob Steve was clutch yet again bailing out Gray when it fell apart with back to back Ks.  Gray was great until the 6th, but they don't only count your good innings.  He's still been very good on the year though.

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

It was bound top happen eventually.  Feel a little bad for Schebler.  Okay player,  horrible start probably doomed him.

Long term the odds were stacked against him.  He got a shot though, that's more than a lot of guys get.  Josh VanMeter and Brian O'Grady are murdering baseballs down in AAA right now (both are over 1.150 OPS for the year so far) but aren't on the 40 man and may not get that shot.  Schebler just didn't get it done.

• 1 month later...

Nick Lodolo started his pro career last night with a scoreless inning with 2 K's.  Gave up a single but then that guy was caught stealing.  His innings will be limited after a full season at TCU, i'd expect about 40 IP the rest of the season for him after around 100 IP in the college season.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st