Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

In his first 14.1 IP as a pro, Nick Lodolo has 26 K's and 0 BB.  Made his first start in Low A Dayton last Thursday, threw 3 IP, gave up 1 run with 5 K.  Sat 93-95, slider was good, threw a couple changeups in his 43 pitches.

23 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Nice start to his career.  Hopefully he and Hunter Greene are impact starters for us in a couple of years. 

Any guesses on trades we might make?  Not seeing much out there that makes sense for us to add.

I doubt we're buyers no matter what the talking heads on the Reds might say.  We can't put together a string of wins without immediately going on a losing streak right after.

Only think I've heard rumblings about is a few teams might be looking at Tanner Roark.  He wouldn't bring too much in a return as a mid to back rotation starter that is a rental, but something is better than nothing.  Especially since Wood is finally pitching so the Reds likely don't miss much if they trade Roark.

Sounds like we might be more likely to extend Puig 3-4 years than trade him.

Wood has been hurt so his trade value is nil right now even with him coming back last weekend finally.

Gennett has been hurt and VanMeter might have stolen his spot anyway, so I doubt anyone wants the Scooter.

Raisel Iglesias is having the worst year of his career so far, so that would be selling low.

No reason to trade Garrett, he's young, good, and controlled for 3 more years at a non prohibitive cost.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone was interested in Jose Iglesias, but I haven't heard anything.  He's hit well this year and is one of the best defensive SS in the bigs.

I could see adding a pitcher with controllable years with something built around India and Mahle, but that guy would have to be available. Seems more of an offseason move to be honest.

Adding offense would be great,  but I think we should be able to do that internally. We're awfully streaky. We could trade Puig and still have depth to field a potent line up.

Regardless,  I think Roark looks like a good get for some team needing rotation depth.  The return probably won't be overwhelming, but I wouldn't trade for a guy that's just organizational depth.

I expected a Puig extension early in the year,  but it seems less likely now.  I would be ok with trading him, but need something better than the pick we are likely to get in the offseason if he walks. I'd be happy to see Ervin and van Meter have a more direct route to playing time. 

A legitimate contender would have to have an injury for Scooter or Jose Iglesias to be traded.  We wouldn't get much for either.

Raisel Iglesias looks like someone that is tradable.  He's doing that pouty "they're not using me right" thing which I can do without. He'd have to bring in  some nice prospects though,  regardless of his record this year. 

No one else really makes sense to trade off.

I expect Roark to be traded,  50/50 on Puig and about 10% on Raisel. I don't see any other moves as likely.

Eh, i'm ok with the deal.  Taylor Trammell has been playing through some injuries but even so, has been sub .700 OPS in AA this year and played all of 5.1 innings in CF, being relegated to LF the rest of the time.  That tells me the Reds see him as a LF.  Even with uber talented defender Jose Siri in the same outfield, you make time for Trammell in CF if you think he can play there and shift Siri to RF at least part of the time.

Puig's going to the highest bidder this offseason, whether that's us or someone else.

Scott Moss is likely org depth or a AAAA starter, so not too worried there.

Castillo, Gray, Bauer is a nice 1-2-3 for 2020.  If we could resign Roark on a reasonable 1-2 year deal I wouldn't be against that.  Lodolo could possibly start next year in AA.  To get the pitching, some times you have to pay the price.

I don't mind trading Trammel in a vacuum,  just a little worried about our organizational depth. I was not impressed prior to the trade and thought moving Puig might improve it. It's not the sort of deal I was expecting is likely my biggest issue. 

It also adds to an already strong rotation. Disco has pitched really well recently, I am unsure who the odd man out is. Maybe Wood or Roark are moved.  It will be interesting.  Hopefully the guys that get increased PT bring it the rest of the season. I think our lineup can be strong even without Puig. 

Lodolo's first 18.1 IP as a pro, 0 walks.  I like that.  I'd say he is likely our top prospect now and will start 2020 in either High A Daytona, or maybe AA Chattanooga if he looks real good in spring training.  I'd like to see him add about 10 lbs of muscle in the offseaon.  He's 6'6" and right around 200 lbs.  Some added muscle on a large frame might make his fastball sit more 95-96 and touch a little higher as opposed to sitting 93-95 and touching a little higher.  He hit 97 with the Reds in one of the games, not sure if he ever hit 98.

I've been down a bit on our farm system,  as there don't appear to be any elite prospects,  but there really is a lot to like.  Hunter Greene is super talented despite his injury, Lodolo has been excellent so far and despite his struggles,  I still think Santillan is a solid major league starter in the near future. 

India,  while not looking like a superstar,  appears to be a guy that can hold down 2nd or 3rd base for a long time. 

Stephenson looks likely  to be an above average catcher in the majors.  There are also about 5 guys who are able to play major league caliber defense in center.  Surely one or two will be offensively useful. 

Then there are scores of other guys that might put it together and excel. Really,  the system is just lacking that elite prospect to get excited about,  but there is a lot to like and look forward to. 

The counterpoint to that though, is who expected to be getting significant contributions in 2019 from Josh VanMeter and Aristides Aquino?  Elite prospects are fun, but they are few and far between.  Teams that can get good value and production out of their mid tier prospects are getting value too.

Can't complain about Aquino.  Hopefully this is real.  Not sure that we can get to the playoffs this year,  but should make it interesting,  despite this skid. 

As much as I love Barney,  if contending is in the cards for next year,  an upgrade at catcher is a must. Whether that's through trade or fa I guess we'll see. The bullpen is also in need of at least one outside arm, but I do think there is legitimate help coming out of the minor leagues. 

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st