Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

I have to say, I did NOT see the Reds going after Moose, especially to play 2B.  The downside is that he's barely played 2B in his career (something like 40 games last year is it) so he's likely not going to be much of a defender there, but then again, neither was Scooter.  Also only a career .310 OBP, although he did do solid there last year at .329.  On the upside the last three years he had 38, 28, and 35 HR, and he's doesn't strike out that much (only 2 years in his career over 100 K, the highest being 124).  Supposed to be a tremendous character and clubhouse guy, which would fit in well with what was a very positive clubhouse last year even amidst a middling type of year.

I'm sure it will change, but here's my early early early projected 25 man opening day roster/lineup:

1. Nick Senzel, CF
2. Joey Votto, 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez, 3B
4. Mike Moustakas, 2B
5. Aristides Aquino, RF
6. Jesse Winker, LF
7. Freddy Galvis, SS
8. Tucker Barnhart, C

BN: Phillip Ervin, OF
BN: Josh VanMeter, 2B/3B/LF/RF
BN: Travis Jankowski, CF
BN: Kyle Farmer, C/1B/3B/2B/LF
BN: Curt Casali, C

1. Luis Castillo
2. Sonny Gray
3. Trevor Bauer
4. Anthony Desclafani
5. Tyler Mahle

LR: Sal Romano
MR: Jose De Leon
MR: Joel Kuhnel
MR: Cody Reed
MR: Robert Stephenson
MR: Michael Lorenzen
SU: Amir Garrett
CL: Raisel Iglesias

Reds supposedly offering Zack Wheeler $100+ million over 5 years.  Scary injury history 2015-mid 2017, but the last two seasons he's thrown 182 and 195 IP.  Could be the type of guy who could really thrive pitching under Derek Johnson and could potentially make the Reds a scary rotation.  Turns 30 at the end of May so a 5 year deal only takes him through his age 33-34 season.  Phillies are the other big bidder and have deeper pockets, but i'd still be happy if the Reds won out and took the risk.  They are going for it, and doing it in a way to where they aren't bleeding the farm dry.

Edited by THE DUKE

I'm good with a free agent starter. I think there are better options there than at position players,  at least as far as upgrades go. It also gives us some security in the rotation and flexibility with what to do with our 2 pending  free agent pitchers. 

But then I'd stand pat, and see if any trades during the season make sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd rather trade Senzel than Lodolo.  If it takes both, then pass.  I'd also have it be contingent on an extension with Lindor much the same way we acquired Sonny Gray.  7 years, $200 million, give him an opt out after 4 if he wants it?  

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd rather trade Senzel than Lodolo.  If it takes both, then pass.  I'd also have it be contingent on an extension with Lindor much the same way we acquired Sonny Gray.  7 years, $200 million, give him an opt out after 4 if he wants it?  

I'd hate to give up either of them, but would do it assuming no other top level talent goes too. And an extension would be great,  but I think if he was signing that number,  Cleveland would keep him.

• 2 weeks later...

The Reds signed Shogo out of Japan who can play any of the 3 OF spots.  Not an ideal CF, but probably at least as good as Choo was there in GABP, and likely better than Choo.  The Reds are supposedly still in on Ozuna as well, which makes me think they might still make a push for Lindor in a deal centered around Senzel

1. Shogo, CF
  2. Votto, 1B
  3. Lindor, SS
  4. Suarez, 3B
  5. Moose, 2B
  6. Ozuna or Aquino, RF
  7. Winker/Ervin, LF
  8. Barnhart, C

That could be a damn potent lineup.  Winker getting the bulk of the time in LF with Ervin starting against left handed pitchers.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Rumor I heard is that the Indians wanted Senzel and Lodolo plus a couple other lesser pieces for Lindor and the Reds balked at including Lodolo.  Word is now that we are talking with the Dodgers about Corey Seager.

Nothing wrong with the Indians asking for as much as they can.  He's a great player. Would prefer to get Seager if it meant giving up less. Still not convinced that we don't move Bauer in a trade like that,  either to la directly or to a third team that sends prospects to the Dodgers.

Nick Lodolo listed as MLB Pipeline's 5th best LHSP prospect in baseball.  30 K vs 0 BB in 18.1 IP in his debut after the draft after 100+ IP at TCU in the college season, so he should be ready for a full workload.  Depending on how he looks in spring training he'll start in either High A Daytona (most likely) or possibly in AA Chattanooga if he looks really good.  They also seem to think he has projection left, even after sitting 92-95 last year.  Was listed at 6'6" and 190 lbs in the draft, is listed as 6'6" and 202 lbs now.  If he fills out to about 220 over the next couple years, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up as a guy who sits 95-96 with the fastball.  He turns 22 next month.

Reds only had 2 top 100 prospects in the Baseball America top 100.  Hunter Greene at 76 and Nick Lodolo at 77. Greene should return to the mound around June or so more than likely and hopefully he can pitch about 80-90 injury free innings this year after TJS.  If he can hit that threshold, then he could go to 120-130 IP in 2021 and then 150-160 by 2022, which would put him on track for a full season of innings in 2023 if they take his return cautious.  He's still only 20 years old, so you don't have to rush him up.

Lodolo threw 120+ IP last year between college and his pro debut, so he should be good for a full minor league season on 150-160 IP this year.  Not out of the realm of possibility we see him in Cincinnati this year in a best case development scenario AND the Reds are a playoff contender.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st