Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

A lot of Twitter buzz today about the Reds talking with Castellanos.  Seems to be between the Reds and Rangers.

1. Nick Senzel, CF
  2. Shogo Akiyama, RF
  3. Eugenio Suarez, 3B
  4. Mike Moustakas, 2B
  5. Nick Castellanos, LF
  6. Joey Votto, 1B
  7. Freddy Galvis, SS
  8. Tucker Barnhart, C

BN: Jesse Winker, LF/1B
BN: Phil Ervin, OF
BN: Josh VanMeter, Util
BN: Travis Jankowski, OF
BN: Curt Casali, C

Or the dream lineup:

1. Shogo Akiyama, CF
  2. Francisco Lindor/Corey Seager, SS
  3. Eugenio Suarez, 3B
  4. Mike Moustakas, 2B
  5. Nick Castellanos, RF
  6. Joey Votto, 1B
  7. Jesse Winker/Phil Ervin platoon, LF
  8. Tucker Barnhart, C
Edited by THE DUKE

47 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Would be an interesting signing. Much more of a sure thing than any of the current outfielders. 

He doesn't even turn 28 until March.  Ideally sign him to a 3-4 year deal and have him for his prime.  Castellanos is a 30 HR guy in GABP.

• Like 1

Reds sign Castellanos to the same 4 year $64 million deal Moose got.  As of this moment the projected 26 man roster looks like what I have above, but there are rumors the Reds are shopping Senzel for a SS according to John Heyman.  Lindor, Seager, and Correa have all been rumored as available this winter.

20 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Curious to see what moves come next. Hopefully,  it's not Senzel for Correa. Between  Correa's health and potentially inflated performance,  I'm not giving Senzel for him.

The rumor mill suggests the Reds might be targeting Corey Seager with Dodgers having Gavin Lux in the pipeline to take over at SS.  Injury history is concerning, but he has a career .853 OPS playing in a big home park in LA.  Imagine a Seager/Suarez/Moose/Castellanos 2-5.

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd sadly make that move. Turning Senzel into a short stop either by trading him for one or just putting him there and living with the defense seen like our best options.

The Reds played him about 2 games at SS in his minor league career and then never again.  I'd take that as a pretty strong hint about what they think about him playing SS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Reds played him about 2 games at SS in his minor league career and then never again.  I'd take that as a pretty strong hint about what they think about him playing SS

It's very unlikely to happen, but I don't think it is a huge stretch for him currently and I would rather live with that than lose him along with other prospects in a bad deal.

Reds are reported close to signing RHRP Pedro Strop.  Was pretty meh last year with a near 5 ERA, but had a sub 3 ERA for about 5-6 years in a row before that.  He'll be 35 this season, which isn't that old when it comes to relievers.  His peripherals weren't all that bad last year, so hopefully he regressed to the mean and is a RP with a 3 something ERA at least this year.

1 year, 1.85 million.  Can get pushed up to $3.5 if he hits all his incentives.  Good deal, and small enough he can just be released if last year was the start of his regression.  Hopefully he bounces back and makes the Reds pen a strength this year.

• 3 weeks later...

The Athletic running some rumors about some sort of 3 team deal that would send Wil Myers to the Red Sox, Nick Senzel to the Padres, and unknown player(s) to the Reds.  I'm sure this is just some writer fantasizing where the Reds get back 4 crappy players and give up Senzel, but thought it worth mentioning.  Unless Mackenzie Gore is coming back in that trade, no thanks.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

The Athletic running some rumors about some sort of 3 team deal that would send Wil Myers to the Red Sox, Nick Senzel to the Padres, and unknown player(s) to the Reds.  I'm sure this is just some writer fantasizing where the Reds get back 4 crappy players and give up Senzel, but thought it worth mentioning.  Unless Mackenzie Gore is coming back in that trade, no thanks.

I don't get trading Senzel for prospects,  which was my best guess as to what we would get. Doubt there is much to this "rumor"

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st