Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

I think the roster is starting to get pretty set outside of who is the 7th man in the bullpen.  I don't think they go to an 8 man pen unless they can trade Kemp

1. Jesse Winker, LF
2. Joey Votto, 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez, 3B
4. Scooter Gennett, 2B
5. Yasiel Puig, RF
6. Nick Senzel, CF
7. Jose Peraza, SS
8. Tucker Barnhart, C

BN: Kyle Farmer, C (sent down once Curt Casali is healthy, unless Farmer produces enough in his chances)
BN: Matt Kemp, LF
BN: Scott Schebler, CF/RF
BN: Jose Iglesias, SS/2B
BN: Dereck Dietrich, 3B/1B/LF/RF/2B

1. Sonny Gray
2. Luis Castillo
3. Alex Wood
4. Tanner Roark
5. Anthony Desclafani

LR: Robert Stephenson (Could be Sal Romano, I just don't think they give up on Bob Steve yet, Romano here is Stephenson starts the year on the DL)
MR: Zach Duke
MR: Michael Lorenzen (CF/PH)
MR: David Hernandez
MR: Jared Hughes
SU: Amir Garrett
CL: Raisel Iglesias

Only real question mark to me is who is the last reliever.  I think it's Bob Steve if he is healthy.  Too much arm talent to give up on yet.  If he bombs yet again, you can always DFA him later.  Mahle, Reed, and Sims are all starting in AAA.  I think all 3 make a start at some point in the year for the big club.  If Romano is in AAA I think he starts there, if in the bigs, likely in the bullpen where I think he ends up long term anyway with his lack of a third pitch.  Could be a very good power reliever.  Vlad Gutierrez I think starts in the AAA rotation, but Santillan will start in AA again I think.  He's made nice steady progress on a nice steady promotional schedule.  No need to change that up.  Get him 60-80 IP in AA, then move him up middle of the year.  Whether he gets a shot at the start of next year or mid season next year depends on if 3 of Disco, Mahle, Reed, Sims, Bob Steve, Romano, Vlad Gut, or any Free Agent or Trade SP can hold down rotation spots to start 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Wood likely to start the season on the DL with back issues.  He's been a solid producer in his career, but he has also been injury prone.  I imagine Tyler Mahle is first in line to get the 5th spot in the rotation, although the Reds might start the year with 4 starters and 8 relievers until the 5th starter is needed, which likely isn't until April 6th, the 9th game of the year.

Sonny Gray looked very good in his first start of the spring.  Worked fastball, curve, cutter, and changeup and was throwing strikes and missing bats.

• 2 weeks later...

Scooter Gennett heard the dreaded "pop" in his leg.  I'm guessing ACL.  Sounds like Senzel's time in minor league camp might be all of one day.  No walks or home runs for Senzel in the spring, but he's shown ability to do both throughout his minor league career.

So I see the bloggers are all outraged that Senzel isn't going to come back to play second on opening day.  It doesn't bother me really.  If the plan is for him to play center, then let him get used to it.  They have multiple guys that can play the middle infield up already.  Stick to the plan.

A little different than I thought, but it looks like this will be the opening day roster:

1. Jesse Winker, LF
2. Joey Votto, 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez, 3B
4. Yasiel Puig, RF
5. Scott Schebler, CF
6. Jose Peraza, 2B
7. Jose Iglesias, SS
8. Tucker Barnhart, C

BN: Matt Kemp, LF
BN: Derek Dietrich, Util
BN: Curt Casali, C
BN: Kyle Farmer, Util

1. Luis Castillo
2. Sonny Gray
3. Tanner Roark
4. Anthony Desclafani
5. Tyler Mahle

LR: Michael Lorenzen
MR: Wandy Peralta
MR: Robert Stephenson
MR: Zack Duke
MR: David Hernandez
MR: Jared Hughes
SU: Amir Garrett
CL: Raisel Iglesias

DL: Scooter Gennett (60 day), Alex Wood (15 day), Alex Blandino (60 day)
DFA: Matt Wisler

Outside change Wisler makes it over Peralta, but I think they keep 3 lefties.  The assumption is that in mid April, Senzel is back up to play 2B, Peraza moves back to SS, Iglesias back to the bench, and Farmer back to AAA.  Jose Iglesias has 15 games to show he deservers more time in a starting role.  Same thing with Schebler really.  Neither of them can afford to get out to a slow start with the fan base banging the drum to bring up Senzel.  The hyperbolic overreaction in the media to Senzel being sent down is kind of hilarious though.

46 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I guess I am surprised that they have Mahle up as the fifth starter. I haven't looked closely at the schedule,  but I know in most seasons,  a fifth starter isn't needed for the first couple times through.  

They could have waited until April 6th to use a 5th starter, but it sounds like they want to go with extra rest as opposed to keeping 1-4 on a fixed 5 day schedule.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st