Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

• 2 weeks later...

There are options, but none of the minor league ones are proven, and the MLB ones have issues:

Scooter Gennett is a bad defensive 2B.  Not below average, bad.  Benefitted greatly from the juiced balls too.
Jose Peraza is moving to SS
Dilson Herrera has had eleventy billion shoulder injuries
Alex Blandino has some promise there, walks a ton, started to hit more in 2017, but has struggled adjusting in the upper levels
Shed Long just got to AA and struggled there in 2017, will start there in 2018

Plus Suarez is a BAMF and played great defense at 3B in 2017.  If we can work out an extension this offseason, I'd be happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the Jared Hughes signing.  Reliable middle inning ground ball pitcher for GABP.  Won't need to rely on rookies and 2nd year guys as much.  The young guys have some talent, but you don't want too many at once.  Iglesias, Lorenzen, Peralta, and Hughes have 4 of the 7 spots pretty much wrapped up.  For the last 3, it'll be a spring training battle between Ariel Hernandez, Austin Brice, Kevin Shackleford, Jackson Stephens, Zack Weiss, Jimmy Herget, Barrett Astin, Kyle Crockett, Joe Mantiply, Rafael De Paula, and Kevin Quakenbush.  I think Crockett has a good shot at making it as he'd be a 2nd lefty, and his only real competition is Mantiply (barring them putting Finnegan, Reed, or Garrett in the bullpen, which I don't think they will do as of yet).  Opening day we will probably have an 8 man pen and only 4 SP on the roster until the 5th SP is needed, either Stephenson or Romano.  My best guess at the opening day pitching staff is:

Luis Castillo
Homer Bailey
Anthony Desclafani
Brandon Finnegan

Kevin Shackleford
Kyle Crockett
Zack Weiss
Austin Brice
Wandy Peralta
Jared Hughes
Michael Lorenzen
Raisel Iglesias

Then when a 5th starter is needed, one of Brice, Weiss, or Shackleford gets optioned for Robert Stephenson.  If Ariel Hernandez can take another step with his control, he'll make it, but that's a dicey proposition.  Stephens could make a good long man in the bullpen, and given the depth in AAA, I think his days as a starter are numbered.  Odds are one of Bailey, Disco, or Finnegan re-injures themselves and Sal Romano is in the rotation as well, but it's impossible to tell which one.

12 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I like his sentiment.  I want my guys to stay on the team til they retire too.  But he needs to pay up for a backup outfielder, because that's all Billy has been.

Billy's value is going to go down a cliff once his speed starts to slip, and really, speed is the first thing to go.  He'll still be fast in his 30's, but he isn't a good enough hitter to be anything other than elite defensively and on the basepaths.  I also guarantee that BHam isn't going to stay here as a backup if someone else gives him a chance to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Reds sign David Hernandez to a 2 year $5 mil deal.  Building the bullpen up with cheap reliable vets.  Could work, especially if we get more from the starting pitching this year.

CL: Iglesias
SU: Lorenzen
MR: Peralta
MR: Hughes
MR: Hernandez

That's 5 slots pretty much wrapped up with some good arms competing for 2-3 more spots depending on if they go with a short bench or not.

Reds picked up another minor league free agent pitcher in Jeff Manship.  He was a productive MLB reliever in 2015-2016 before deciding to try to be a SP in 2017 in Korea.  He was effective there, but his K rate dropped in a starting role.  He likely fills out the AAA bullpen with the chance of a shot if he produces there.

A good lengthy article by Dayton Dragons media director Tom Nichols, including a lot of good info on Hunter Greene.

https://www.milb.com/dragons/news/10-dragons-baseball-thoughts-prior-to-spring-training/c-266021402

The Dragons (Low A) team should have a lot of good talent on it this year.  Here's a stab at what I think the roster might be:

1. Andy Segulio, RF
2. Jeter Downs, SS
3. Stuart Fairchild, CF
4. Miles Gordon, LF
5. Montrelle Marshall, 1B
6. Jose Garcia, 2B
7. Leandro Santana, 3B
8. Hendrik Clementina, C
9. Satch McElroy, DH/OF

BN: Mark Koloszvary, C
BN: Alejo Lopez, MIF
BN: JD Salmon-Williams, OF
BN: Francis Azcona, IF

1. Hunter Greene
2. Packy Naughton
3. Matt Blandino
4. Tyler Mondile
5. Ryan Olson

LR: Jhon De Jesus
MR: Cory Thompson
MR: Luis Alecis
MR: Miguel Aguilar
MR: Moises Nova
MR: Connor Bennett
CL: Dauri Moreta

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Price came out and said that during spring training that Nick Senzel will be playing SS and 3B, which is a development from over the winter when the plan seemed to be that he'd be playing more 2B than anything.  Senzel showed up to Goodyear a month early and has been working extensively at SS with Reds instructors.  They must have liked what they have seen so far to pretty much scrap the idea of playing him at 2B.  They can always go back to it later (he did play 2B 2 years at Tennessee), but if Peraza doesn't hit to start the year he'll be looking over his shoulder at one of the best hitters in the minors.

I think it's pretty perfect. We don't have a true prospect at aaa right now for short and that might be the position of greatest need in the majors. And it definitely seems like there is potential there for him to play there, at least early in his career.

I didn't see your previous post on the Dragon's lineup. Do you really think they move Garcia off short so soon?

5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I think it's pretty perfect. We don't have a true prospect at aaa right now for short and that might be the position of greatest need in the majors. And it definitely seems like there is potential there for him to play there, at least early in his career.

I didn't see your previous post on the Dragon's lineup. Do you really think they move Garcia off short so soon?

If both Downs and Garcia end up in Dayton, then I think both will play some SS, some 2B, and some DH.  From what I've read, Downs is the better bet to stick at SS, but there have been conflicting reports on both of them.  That's why we play the game, see what's real and what's BS.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st