Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

Reds got India signed (amount unknown, but it has to be underslot by a solid chunk, $500k-$750k), Mike Siani signed for $2 million, and we were able to get 14th rd pick Michael Byrne signed.  I hope they keep Byrne in a relief role and don't try to make him a starter.  I think he could develop best into the role just like he was used at Florida.  A high leverage reliever capable of going up to 4 IP if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

The Reds drafted Mike Siani in round 4 of the MLB draft this year but gave him a $2 million bonus which was comparable to the top of the Competitive Balance A slot right after round 1.  He was a 1st round projected pick heading into this year before he had some issues hitting this spring with a new swing.  In his first 14 games as a pro in the higher level rookie Appalachian League he has put up a .339/.439/.536 line with more walks than strikeouts.  He was also regarded as maybe the best defensive CF in the draft class with plus speed, a plus arm (was going to be a 2 way player CF/LHP if he went to Virginia), and potentially double plus defense in CF.  He's already made several spectacular plays in CF in his first handful of games.  I expect he'll play in Greenville the rest of this year and start of 2019 in Low A Dayton.  The Reds may have found another gem in the mold of Taylor Trammell, but with better defense by using their draft pool wisely (Jonathan India signed for well under slot and the Reds used all of their 5% over pool limit before draft pick penalties would occur).

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The Reds drafted Mike Siani in round 4 of the MLB draft this year but gave him a $2 million bonus which was comparable to the top of the Competitive Balance A slot right after round 1.  He was a 1st round projected pick heading into this year before he had some issues hitting this spring with a new swing.  In his first 14 games as a pro in the higher level rookie Appalachian League he has put up a .339/.439/.536 line with more walks than strikeouts.  He was also regarded as maybe the best defensive CF in the draft class with plus speed, a plus arm (was going to be a 2 way player CF/LHP if he went to Virginia), and potentially double plus defense in CF.  He's already made several spectacular plays in CF in his first handful of games.  I expect he'll play in Greenville the rest of this year and start of 2019 in Low A Dayton.  The Reds may have found another gem in the mold of Taylor Trammell, but with better defense by using their draft pool wisely (Jonathan India signed for well under slot and the Reds used all of their 5% over pool limit before draft pick penalties would occur).

I didn't realize it took so much to get Siani signed.  I liked him a good bit pre-draft.  

Don't mind getting Sims as a possible turn around guy, but it makes me worry the Reds won't try to upgrade at SP this offseason, when they really need a proven legitimate arm.  Options for 2019:

Homer Bailey (blech, please no)
Luis Castillo
Anthony Desclafani
Tyler Mahle
Sal Romano
Robert Stephenson
Luke Sims
Keury Mella
Cody Reed
Jose Lopez

Out of that, if i'm the GM/Manager, this is my opening day starting 5

Luis Castillo
Tyler Mahle
Anthony Desclafani
Robert Stephenson
Sal Romano

Then in AAA I have Keury Mella, Luke Sims, Tony Santillan, Vlad Gutierrez, and Cody Reed.  Santillan maybe starts back in AA since he has limited experience there and will only be 22 next year, and go with Jose Lopez as a starter still, although if he has a shot to make it, it's probably as a reliever.

Nick Senzel - Finger issue, out for the year
Hunter Greene - UCL injury, out for the year, probably going to need TJS
Taylor Trammell - Ran into a wall last night, left game, no updates yet
Jesse Winker - Shoulder surgery

Reds rookies and top prospects dropping like flies.  Somebody get Tony Santillan and Jonathan India into protective custody

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I wish  with  Votto on the dl we had Gennett at first and Herrera at 2 every game.

Agreed, we need to see what Dilson has and if he's worth keeping on the 40 man roster.  I think he will be, but there's no reason to be getting Brandon Dixon starts over Dilly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Agreed, we need to see what Dilson has and if he's worth keeping on the 40 man roster.  I think he will be, but there's no reason to be getting Brandon Dixon starts over Dilly.

I do like Dixon too, but we know what he is. Herrera looks like a legitimate major league starter when  healthy and there is definite all  star potential  there in my mind.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't think we make a trade.  I think we throw 4 years, $90 million at Dallas Keuchel

I feel like we should do both.  Sign a  higher end pitcher and build a trade package around maybe Mahle and Senzel. Go into next year with the  rotation of:

1 trade target

2 FA target 

3 Castillo 

4 Disco 

5 Bailey

When Bailey falters look to whatever youthful options we have. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st