Cincinnati Reds Thread - The novelty of spring training is gone

THE DUKE

23 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Can't complain about Aquino.  Hopefully this is real.  Not sure that we can get to the playoffs this year,  but should make it interesting,  despite this skid. 

As much as I love Barney,  if contending is in the cards for next year,  an upgrade at catcher is a must. Whether that's through trade or fa I guess we'll see. The bullpen is also in need of at least one outside arm, but I do think there is legitimate help coming out of the minor leagues. 

Former 1st rd pick Tyler Stephenson is in AA now with an OPS right around .800 (league average is about .670 in the Southern League).  He's just 22 years old and his first couple years were slowed by injury.  The power hasn't been there yet, but he's 6'4" 225 lbs and the raw power is there.  A little more maturity and getting to use the MLB ball will certainly help the power, which is one of the last things to show from a demanding position like catcher.

I do like  Stephenson,  but I am not  convinced that he is ready to be a big contributor next season.  So do we use him in a trade? I guess it depends on what we get back. Hard to make a real speculation there. Ideally,  we add a guy that is on a shorter deal so we have a contributor next season,  but Stephenson is not blocked long term. 

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I do like  Stephenson,  but I am not  convinced that he is ready to be a big contributor next season.  So do we use him in a trade? I guess it depends on what we get back. Hard to make a real speculation there. Ideally,  we add a guy that is on a shorter deal so we have a contributor next season,  but Stephenson is not blocked long term. 

Yasmani Grandal took a 1 year high dollar deal this season with the Brewers, so maybe throw a couple million over what the Brewers are paying him now on another 1 year deal?

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yasmani Grandal took a 1 year high dollar deal this season with the Brewers, so maybe throw a couple million over what the Brewers are paying him now on another 1 year deal?

They've got a mutual option for next season but he'd be pretty ideal for a  season or two. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, Slateman said:

What happened to Jose Peraza this year? Was he hurt or has he simply regressed? 

He got moved off short due to an injury to the starting second baseman and the top backup being an elite fielder.  He started out poorly and lost that position.  He's never recovered.  So regressed I suppose is the answer.

Why do I think we have a good lineup, but constantly have low scoring games?  Where are my Aquino dingers?

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Beck Bristow said:

He got moved off short due to an injury to the starting second baseman and the top backup being an elite fielder.  He started out poorly and lost that position.  He's never recovered.  So regressed I suppose is the answer.

Why do I think we have a good lineup, but constantly have low scoring games?  Where are my Aquino dingers?

Is he going to be kept around in an attempt to salvage him? Possible non-tender candidate?

• 3 weeks later...

Peraza's minor gains in plate discipline over the past couple years all went bye bye this year and he swung at everything.  When he's in that mode, he hits for less power as well because he's more concerned with manipulating the bat to make contact vs just driving the ball.  He won't be non-tendered, but he's pretty much a utility infielder on the bench at this point.  Can play CF in a pinch.

Team president "Richard" Williams said once again that the team will be looking to increase payroll next year over this year, and this year was one of the highest payrolls the team has ever had, along with a LOT of money coming off the books this year.  I know they won't do it, but I'd love to see them offer Rendon 5 years, $150 million, none of it being deferred.  Add his bat the 3 slot and playing 2B and the lineup comes together a lot better.

Solid improvement this season, up to 75 wins, so they realistically need to jump another 10 wins just to be in the hunt for a wildcard next year.  They actually had a +10 run differential this year, so statistically they should improve some if the luck evens out a little bit, but they still need to add a couple good players.

2019 1st rd pick Nick Lodolo looked fantastic and could possibly start 2020 in AA.  Hunter Greene will likely be back around June 2020 and can hopefully get 75-80 IP in next year.  Tyler Stephenson really turned it on in AA the second half of 2019 and ended the year with almost an .800 OPS, which was about 100 points over league average, along with his defense being ranked the best at catcher in the Southern league.  He should start 2020 in AAA.  Down years from Jonathan India and Tony Santillan, but the talent is still there if they can put it together.  Jose Garcia showed a lot of power and plus defense at shortstop in A+, he'll start 2020 in AA.

I think the all or nothing approach had a  lot to do with Turner Ward, and perhaps why he's not with us anymore.  Peraza could bounce back,  but for the first time,  he comes into a season not penciled in as a starter.

I like our lineup as is, but clearly there needs to be an upgrade somewhere.  

Winker LF

Senzel CF

Aquino RF

Suarez 3B

Galvis SS

Van Meter 2B

Votto 1B

Barnhart C

I like everyone in that lineup,  as well as the reserves, but Suarez is the only one that I consider elite.  Also,  Votto is going to retire a Red, so he's not going anywhere.  I think all of those outfielders have all star potential,  yet it's far from certain. 

I saw we were supposedly in on Grandal,  which makes sense, although I don't know if we offer the years with  Stephenson likely one stop away.  

Rendon is a great player,  I'd be delighted with him at 2nd.  

I kind of want to trade Bauer and sign a pitcher.  Our farm system is a little scary right now and if we need to trade for something,  it would cost some guys like lodolo that would be untouchable if we had a deeper system. 

Hard to trade a pitcher when  Mahle was so inconsistent as well as  Santillan (or insert any of our other young pitchers here)  I'm not sure we have a 5th starter that can be trusted.   

Anyway,  my current offseason: Sign Grandal,  Rendon,  Zach Wheeler and trade Bauer. Figure out your marginal pitching depth for the fifth spot plus the bullpen. Maybe add a  bullpen piece if the right guy is available. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rendon will be 30 next season, but i'd still offer him a 5 year, $165 million deal to play 2B

Assuming we don't get Rendon (which we probably won't) then offer Grandal something like 2 years, $40 million.  Be the man this year with Barnhart as the secondary and then in 2021 Stephenson can take over the secondary role before taking over the starters job in 2022.

You must be drinking hard liquor straight from the bottle if you think we're signing Rendon, Grandal, Wheeler, and trading Bauer.

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

Johnnie Walker special edition song of ice and song of fire both went on sale today. 

Rendon we probably won't even call on, and Wheeler may end up costing more than I initially thought.  Grandal is an upgrade though.  Can we trade for Lindor or  Mookie Betts instead? 

Might as well pick up Trout while we're at it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Might as well pick up Trout while we're at it.

Sure, if I had heard he might get moved this offseason,  he would have been the first guy I listed.

Thinking about trading for one of those guys is what makes me want to move Bauer.  Does Greene/Lodolo, India,  Tyler Stephenson and Nick Senzel even start a conversation there? Can we do better than that? 

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - The novelty of spring training is gone