Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

THE DUKE

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I won't have my focus on baseball until hockey is over. Right now,  that, college basketball and my kids' sports are all I have time for.  

Also,  I am shocked Trevor Bauer has won me over. 

https://www.bardown.com/trevor-bauer-was-calling-out-his-own-pitches-in-order-to-troll-the-astros-1.1451662

I'm always drowned by my kids sports, you just find the time when you can.  College basketball will hold me over through this month.

• 2 months later...

This could be the end of pitcher at bats, but at least the Reds are actually in a position to benefit this year with Moose, Suarez, Votto, Castellanos, and Winker all looking for at bats between 1B, 2B, 3B, and LF.  Maybe throw Senzel in that mix if they want Shogo to play some CF.

• 1 month later...

The Reds took Austin Hendrick, a high school RF from Pennsylvania.  Very reminiscent of the Jay Bruce pick, might have the best power in the draft, strong arm, good athlete, question is how much he'll hit.  I like the pick because it's an upside pick and a lefty to boot.  I hope we get another power hitting prep guy today to groom at 1B to take over for Votto in 4 years.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm curious to see if the Reds make an attempt to keep Bauer after this year.  Bauer's stated desire of going on one year deals for the rest of his career (if true) actually helps a small market try to keep a top pitcher as they aren't tied to a mega contract for 6-7-8 years, so if they have to overpay for a year at $25 million or something, it doesn't cripple an entire competitive window.  Gray, Castillo, and Bauer can pitch with anyone when they are on, and if the Reds aneminc offense can come to life just a little bit, weirder things have happened.

44 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm curious to see if the Reds make an attempt to keep Bauer after this year.  Bauer's stated desire of going on one year deals for the rest of his career (if true) actually helps a small market try to keep a top pitcher as they aren't tied to a mega contract for 6-7-8 years, so if they have to overpay for a year at $25 million or something, it doesn't cripple an entire competitive window.  Gray, Castillo, and Bauer can pitch with anyone when they are on, and if the Reds aneminc offense can come to life just a little bit, weirder things have happened.

You are definitely a scary team in that first round especially.  The offense only needs to do a little bit to win 2 of 3 with Bauer/Castillo/Gray.

43 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I assume they will try, but i don't see a discount happening and clubs with more money will be just as motivated to make a one year deal for a massive amount. 

You're probably right, but hopefully it helps this is where he is at now and is fairly comfortable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st