RTP ---- Riding The Pine

wcblack34

One possibility is Stephen Weatherly.

I was looking back at some games from last year. When Robison missed a game due to injury, it was Weatherly who stepped into that 3rd down role inside. I've been a little hesitant in projecting his longterm upside, but as a guy who stood up and rushed in college, that may be a role he could slide into more often.

Bigger roles - I'll be Captain Obvious, but Jaleel Johnson, Stephen Weatherly, and Tashawn Bower on defense and Stacy Coley on offense (as he may get a greater opportunity at WR if Wright is cut and as a returner since Jerick will be gone).

Lesser roles - Everson Griffen...I think he will begin to rotated out more frequently.  I don't think it means he means less, but that he will be able to take lesser snaps now that he's 30, and that they will rotate Weatherly and Bower in more frequently.  

Mackensie Alexander is an obvious name but he played less than 33% of the total snaps this last year per pro football reference. He's going to have to take a major leap based on how the roster is currently constructed.

I don't expect David Morgan to RTP as much this coming year.  

If Berger retires, I guess he'll RTP a lot more. Which leads me to believe that Rashod Hill would have a better chance to not RTP. 

On defense, I actually think Linval Joseph may RTP a bit more to keep him a bit more fresh. I think that means that we'll push to resign Shamar Stephen and count on him to RTP less. 

Regardless of whether Terrence Newman retires, I expect him to RTP a bit more, while Alexander will RTP a bit less. 

I believe that Jaleel Johnson and Isidora will still be riding the pine for the most part. The hope is that they'll be able to get into the game when the starters in front of them are spending time with the trainers.

For Jaleel, riding the pine for a full 16 games is a nice step forward. He didn't get to do that much his rookie year as he was inactive for many games so didn't see much pine or field.

Isidora was even inactive in the two playoff games after the offensive line had suffered losses. He'll be lucky to be riding the pine next year. It is possible that he'll not make the 53 man roster. Hid time on the field did not inspire confidence.

It would be great if either of these guys showed something more next year. I don't know what people base their hopes for them being a helpful piece on the field next year. Is it blind optimism? Or what is it based upon? I am in favor of optimism with these players but for now these guys need to be concentrating on making the team and not being a detriment on the field when they get out there. I did like what I saw from Jaleel when he was on the field; I can hope for him without feeling like it is blind optimism but my hope is more that he'll be riding the pine more and inactive less.

My guesses are in line with the other guesses about which players will be riding the pine more/less. Not sure about Rudolph or Sendejo riding the pine more speculation. I can see it but it seems Vikigns fans have been expecting these two (especially Sendejo) to be replaced before.

Archived