War's pre-combine mock

warfelg

I'm operating under 3 assumptions:

1 - Mitchell and Wilcox are cut

2 - Bell is resigned

3 - We won't be moving off our picks

Round 1 - Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama -

Image result for Rashaan evans

I think we go here early.  We know enough about this guy that's it's not really much to talk about at this point.

Round 2 - DeShon Elliott S Texas -

Image result for deshon Elliott

Tall, rangy, plays the ball in the air but can still make some impact blows.  Has SS/FS versatility.  Anticipates well.  Good at reading QB's.  Questions on hip mobility and were his INT's luck or skill.

Round 3 - Ja'von Rolland-Jones DE/OLB Arkansas State -

Image result for ja'von rolland jones

Great burst.  Active heavy hands, bends well.  Great array of weapons and reads OT's really well.  Able to use his speed to create power.  35% of his NCAA tackles were TFL or Sacks.  10 career FF's.  On the "small" size (6'2" 250).

Round 5 (SF) - Poona Ford NT Texas -

Image result for poona ford

Short and squat at 6' 310 lbs.  Powerful.  Don't confuse for lack of athletic ability.  Demands blockers due to his stoutness.  Has ability to move sideline to sideline while occupying blockers.  Biggest part of UT's 6th ranked run defense.

Round 5 - Brandon Facyson CB/S VT -

Image result for brandon facyson

He's had injury problems throughout his college career.  But I still take a risk on him because he's a good player with the ability to wipe out opposing WR's.  I list him as a S because I think playing FS would do wonders for his career getting him in more space.

Round 5 (comp) - Chris Worley LB OSU -

Image result for chris worley

We need to take 1 OSU guy a draft right?  Anyways, this guy isn't as good as Shazier, but he's quite the player.  Athletic.  His issues tend to be in the mental side of things against the run.  Get's whipped out in some run downs.

Round 7 (NYG) - Quadree Handerson WR Pitt -

Image result for quadree henderson

He's a small guy, but also a stud return man.  He can take PR duties off Browns hands and we wouldn't miss the explosion.  Also can return kicks, and I wouldn't mind him taking the ball from 5 yards deep in the EZ.  He can be a smaller shifty guy with deep speed to throw in the slot at times.

Round 7 - Frank Ragnow OC Arkansas -

Image result for frank ragnow

Backup level player for the OL.  Going to be a swing interior guy.  Need someone to take that spot when Foster moves on and Finney steps in.

Sign me up for this class! I think your 5th -7th round picks (as are most picks in those rounds) are more potential based than actual pro ready talent based but there's nothing wrong with that. Worley is a project LB with great potential. I actually really like Henderson as a potential full time return man and Eli Rogers replacement.

Ford isn't the most athletic NT available but he has enough to matter. His ability to clog the hole is something we haven't really had since Hampton. I think he could develop into a mid to late season starter or at the very least heavy rotational player for a team. Wouldn't mind it being us.

I do believe Rollands only real downsize is his size. But people said the same thing about Ryan Shazier (not comparing the 2). His size will be what drops him in the draft he isn't as polished as some of the more clamored prospects but when have the Steelers ever concerned themselves with glamour?

I honestly don't know much about the late round DB. When it comes to Elliot he is one of my preferred S prospects and if you've paid attention to me at all lately you already know how I feel about Evans.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Ford isn't the most athletic NT available but he has enough to matter. His ability to clog the hole is something we haven't really had since Hampton. I think he could develop into a mid to late season starter or at the very least heavy rotational player for a team. Wouldn't mind it being us.

Ford literally looks like Big Snack.  Literally.  Slap the 98 on him and you won't know the difference.  BTW have you seen Hampton lately?  He's slimmer.  Not skinny but a little thinner.  3 bills instead of 4.

7 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Nitpicking but I don’t see them waiting to pick an offensive player til the 6th as realistic...trust me I know the defense needs plenty of help but just the way the Steelers operate.

Not the way my board fell.  Defense was there with the value.

Good draft War.  Evans in the 1st makes a ton of sense for obvious reasons.   Had never seen Rollan-Jones before.  Like what I see so far.  Impressive wingspan it looks like.  I'm a big fan of Worley, if we got him at the back of the 5th, that would be an absolute steal.   Facyson is a good mid-late pick as CB, but in no way see him as a FS.  His tackling is not his strength.  Haven't really studied Elliot much, but I hear good things.   

Archived