Off-season/draft day trades

NudeTayne

Schobert's real value.   

21 members have voted

1. 1. If we can get 2nd round value for Schobert, do we flip him?

• No. He's already a Pro Bowler and will continue to improve. He's just a child!
    • Yes. Let's flip him before the rest of the league figures out his favorite USA Network program is JAG.

With all the excitement beginning with tags and roster dumps, I figured now would be a fun time to speculate on who might come here, what it would take and if it would be a good move for the Browns.  What starter upgrades are there who might be available at a reasonable price? 

I'll start with the latest speculation floating around for mine: 

Marcus Peters CB, Kansas City - I have no idea why he would be in the block other than that they see his huge contract on the horizon. Since we have all the cap room and he is both young and proven, I'd love to get him if the trade price is right. Since his contract will be huge, I believe we may be able to offer a high second and possibly a little change. Peters is favorite corner in the league and definitely top-10 IMO. He would walk in as CB1.

Tyrann Mathieu CB/FS, Arizona - His name is being floated around for cap/Budda Baker reasons. I see him fitting perfectly with Peppers and playing elite free safety and/or nickel corner, depending. Since he had a big injury in 2016 and is being paid a lot, I could see the price being around 64 overall. I'd think hard on that. He looked healthy last year a nd survived the season. Also, the FS draft class is a bit flimsy. Do we do something like #4 for #15, Mathieu and 2019 1st? I am strongly considering it as we'd also be getting a 2019 1st from a team with a new coach, rookie quarterback and no more Mathieu, one year older Fitz etc.

Vinny Curry DE, Philly: The Eagles are in very poor cap shape and will likely be cutting bait with several players. He might be just what we need as our third DE. He is being talked about as being expendable due to other DE depth. In general, I'd be happy to vulture scraps from any stacked, cap-strapped team. Maybe a 4-5th round pick? 

Whatcha'all think? And who else might be worth trading for? Anyone we could/should trade? Coddy K? 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Marcus Peters CB, Kansas City - I have no idea why he would be in the block other than that they see his huge contract on the horizon. Since we have all the cap room and he is both young and proven, I'd love to get him if the trade price is right. Since his contract will be huge, I believe we may be able to offer a high second and possibly a little change. Peters is favorite corner in the league and definitely top-10 IMO. He would walk in as CB1.

Are they that bad off, cap wise, they can’t resign a top shelf corner?

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That's what I thought immediately. Weird huh, yet it was being floated around a day or two ago in here a nd now it's on the possible trade candidate list on the main NFL site. They are also without much in the way of picks so maybe something like 2.3 & 4.1 get it done. I'd honestly do that trade if it were up to me. He has an option after this year too, though I'd sign him now to show good faith. It'd be a huge six year deal. And I do think he's that much better than Butler, Fuller and Johnson who are no slouches. What do you think about Schobert in the poll? 

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

That's what I thought immediately. Weird huh, yet it was being floated around a day or two ago in here a nd now it's on the possible trade candidate list on the main NFL site. They are also without much in the way of picks so maybe something like 2.3 & 4.1 get it done. I'd honestly do that trade if it were up to me. He has an option after this year too, though I'd sign him now to show good faith. It'd be a huge six year deal. And I do think he's that much better than Butler, Fuller and Johnson who are no slouches. What do you think about Schobert in the poll? 

What kind of idiot put them in that cap hell and traded all their picks away????  I kid, I kid....

I wouldn’t trade Schobert, bird in the hand and all that.

Peters would be nice.  Excellent player who has one more cheap year on his deal, so we SHOULD be able to sign him to a long term deal at a somewhat decent price, potentially tagged after this year if we can't.  Is he a RFA after this year?  I never even know how to know who will be URFA or RFA.  Not to mention he would fill our biggest need other than QB.  

Signing Pryor would be good.  Good WR depth would be nice to have for once.  

There are other quality DBs hitting the market from what I can gather.  I would love to beef up in that department adding a couple quality vets, and another in the draft somewhere in the top 65.  

Unless of course we are going with a crappy vet QB and drafting a QB at 1, in which case I do not want to go after or trade for any top dollar free agents unless they play WR or OL

4 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Unless of course we are going with a crappy vet QB and drafting a QB at 1, in which case I do not want to go after or trade for any top dollar free agents unless they play WR or OL

A true analytics guy probably would only go for the OL.

6 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Peters would be nice. 

And worth the price.

Better DL play, which I firmly believe we will get, will make our DB better.

Better DBs will amplify that.

I voted yes on Schobert because we shouldn't be playing 3 LBs as much as we do and Kirksey/Collins are both locked up long term. A 2nd would let us grab another CB/FS/RB/etc. in a loaded class at those positions.

I vote hard no on Apple. Dude is a locker room cancer like nobody else I can think of in the league right now.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I voted yes on Schobert because we shouldn't be playing 3 LBs as much as we do and Kirksey/Collins are both locked up long term. A 2nd would let us grab another CB/FS/RB/etc. in a loaded class at those positions.

I vote hard no on Apple. Dude is a locker room cancer like nobody else I can think of in the league right now.

Yeah absolutely a no for Eli Apple, I wouldn’t even put in a claim if he got cut so definitely not trading for him

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

12.6mil right now, 68.5mil in 2019, and 91mil in 2020.

We easily have the space and next year our biggest FA are Allen Bailey, Demetrius West, Dee Ford (maybe), Spencer Ware, Mitch Morse, Chris Conley, and David Amerson.

I can see us paying Morse and maybe Conley. The rest are potential comp pick guys or will be on the cheaper side. We'll have the cap to re-sign our 2020 FA class which has Peters, Chris Jones, Ragland, Fuller, Hill, and a couple others.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:
6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What kind of idiot put them in that cap hell and traded all their picks away????

Our idiot, now.

Wish Sashi were here to keep the cap in good order.

There has been a lot of crap said about the cap management. We have one year of cap hell (this one). As I posted above, it opens up rather quickly the next couple of years even prior to any moves Veach has made. I fully believe Dorsey got Mahomes with the intent of trading Alex this year to give us room for the one year that we are against the cap.

I wouldn't trade Shobert for a 2nd. He is athletic enough to play any LB position without looking bad. Even if we use our LBers less we need someone in case of an injury and he and Kirksey played every snap so there is some durability there.

Peters has some football character issues but yeah I'd take him for an early 2nd and a 3rd, he is pretty dang good.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Apparently, yes.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/09/chiefs-have-opened-up-loads-of-cap-space-with-recent-moves/

Still, there has to be something more to his availability.

Read somewhere that ownership wants him out 

If I recall, Peters slipped a little in the first because of character concerns, possible drug issues, Im not sure. I just remember hearing he might have gone top 5 without the off the field issues. Might be why ownership wants to drop a top flight corner 2 years from possible FA. Something to consider.

Schobert is the 3 best things you can get from a player: young, talented, and cheap. So, no. Just no.

Archived