2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Defensive Line

swede700

I would like, at this stage, to expand the conversation currently in the Prospects thread to more specific positions, especially with the Combine occurring next week.  I  

The first position I'd like people to discuss, which could be an important position to look for in the draft, is defensive tackle (both 3-tech and NT).  Right now, the only healthy 3-tech currently under contract for the Vikings with any experience is 2nd-year DT Jaleel Johnson, as current starter Tom Johnson is a free agent.  And as far as the NT, Linval is locked in, but his backup, Shamar Stephen, is a free agent,. so that's another spot they could look to fill late in the draft or in UDFA.  If they don't bring either Stephen or Johnson back, it could be dire straits at the DT position, because the only other players, Dylan Bradley and Cashaud Lyons, are real young or have little to no experience.

Based upon descriptions I've seen in various places, these are some of the names that I believe could be good fits for the team.

Maurice Hurst, Michigan - While he's a little on the short side, he appears to be a quick-twitch guy that would fit in very well in an aggressive Zimmer defense.

Taven Bryan, Florida - Athletically gifted, but raw on technique...the Zimmer specialty.  

RJ McIntosh, Miami - Inconsistent and even more raw than Bryan, but he is young and has good upside.

Kentavius Street, NC State - He's another guy a little on the short side like Hurst, but could be a rotational guy that could play both DE/DT in Zimmer's scheme. 

Nathan Shepard, Fort Hays State - Imposing physically and is a good athlete, but an older prospect who is still fairly raw, so doesn't necessarily fit the mold of a Spielman pick.

What are your thoughts on these guys?  Anyone else that you think would be a good fit for the Zim Reapers?

Hurst is still my #1 fit for this defense. If he is falling, I am absolutely running to the podium with the pick, that is if somehow one of the top QB’s don’t fall.

Brayn has been really pushing my buttons. Like it was said before, he is raw. He looks so great in some games against weaker players because he can just bully them. The next game, he struggles and is completely wiped out from the game.

MckIntoch and Street both in my eyes are just going to end up as 3-4 ends. I don’t see them as a fit playing 3 tech in this defense. Enough times they will have to eat up multiple blockers and they will struggle with that. 

another name I would truly love to add to this conversation is Harrison Phillips out of Stanford. He was forced to play out of position and was asked to be a nose tackle because of his ability to take up blocks. I still think this is a name you will see more often when the combine comes around. Mean, strong, and athletic. I think he is a great fit for this defense.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

can we include DE in this too? If we have a thread for every position that is going to take the whole front page

DL, LB, DB

QB, Skill (WR, RB, TE), OL

I can certainly keep the number of threads to a minimum, and since DE is not a high need for the team, they could certainly be discussed, as the DEs that will be options for the Vikings will likely be from the middle rounds onto UDFAs.  I think most of the discussion will revolve around the DTs, though.  

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

another name I would truly love to add to this conversation is Harrison Phillips out of Stanford. He was forced to play out of position and was asked to be a nose tackle because of his ability to take up blocks. I still think this is a name you will see more often when the combine comes around. Mean, strong, and athletic. I think he is a great fit for this defense.

I kind of waffled on including him and did end up not doing so because of his limitations athletically.    He may have limited upside physically, which isn't a typical Zimmer draftee.  

Phillips is a 3x state champ wrestler, should run around a 4.8 and can do the splits on command.

Playing out of position was his biggest flaw. Constantly asked to just eat up blocks, and constantly taking double teams, while continuing to put up over 100 tackles and over 7 sacks.

Playing nose tackle, asked to stop the run. That is not what he was special at. If you look at him on 3rd down situations where they take him out and into a more of a 3 tech spot, he looked the part. Penetration and causing the QB to move.

My major things I noticed he needed work on was his feet. He does a little bit to much of a side step and it catches him off balance and ends up on the ground, which surprises me being the wrestler he was. That’s one thing that can be fixed.

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

What athletically as a 3 tech is he limited on? 

He's not a tremendously athletic interior lineman...his physical traits are not ideal for the position, but he does have tremendous work ethic, so he has been productive.  It just seems to me that he may be good, but he potentially also may not be the ideal player for a Zimmer defense at where he's expected to go in the draft.

I'm certainly not an expert, and haven't viewed any tape or anything, so I'm just basing my opinion on the various analyses that I've read.  

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Phillips is a 3x state champ wrestler, should run around a 4.8 and can do the splits on command.

Playing out of position was his biggest flaw. Constantly asked to just eat up blocks, and constantly taking double teams, while continuing to put up over 100 tackles and over 7 sacks.

Playing nose tackle, asked to stop the run. That is not what he was special at. If you look at him on 3rd down situations where they take him out and into a more of a 3 tech spot, he looked the part. Penetration and causing the QB to move.

My major things I noticed he needed work on was his feet. He does a little bit to much of a side step and it catches him off balance and ends up on the ground, which surprises me being the wrestler he was. That’s one thing that can be fixed.

One draft site has him pegged him to go in rounds 2-4.  Do you think he will be drafted earlier?  He certainly has been productive; if he lasts until our 3rd round pick he would be a steal.

26 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

One draft site has him pegged him to go in rounds 2-4.  Do you think he will be drafted earlier?  He certainly has been productive; if he lasts until our 3rd round pick he would be a steal.

In my last mock I had him going to us. Have a 2nd round grade on him.... I’ve seen him in the 1st all the way to the 3rd. Will be an interesting guy to watch

If, by some remote chance, Hurst and Bryan are still on the board, who’s your choice. 

My immediate reaction is to take Hurst because of what he’ll likely be able to do from day one, but that potential of Bryan and what he could be in a year or two, especially with Zimmer and Patterson, is hard to pass up. 

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If, by some remote chance, Hurst and Bryan are still on the board, who’s your choice. 

My immediate reaction is to take Hurst because of what he’ll likely be able to do from day one, but that potential of Bryan and what he could be in a year or two, especially with Zimmer and Patterson, is hard to pass up. 

Who are good NFL comparisons for both Hurst and Bryan?

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

For me it’s still Hurst. For the immediate future he would fit in well. I still see plenty of room for improvement with him too, and it is coachable things. 

It is close tho. Bryan is fun to watch when he is on his game.

Archived