2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Defensive Line

swede700

1 hour ago, marshpit23 said:

Who are good NFL comparisons for both Hurst and Bryan?

Hurst is very similar to Sharrif Floyd. Very similar. 

Bryan, I don’t know who he compares to. I hate to make comparisons to such elite players, but he really is a lot like JJ Watt. I can’t think of another player with that size (6’4” 290), athleticism, and motor. But while Bryan has good strength, he’s not as strong as Watt, and he’s nowhere near as developed from a technical perspective. But as prospects, they’re similar. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hurst is very similar to Sharrif Floyd. Very similar. 

Bryan, I don’t know who he compares to. I hate to make comparisons to such elite players, but he really is a lot like JJ Watt. I can’t think of another player with that size (6’4” 290), athleticism, and motor. But while Bryan has good strength, he’s not as strong as Watt, and he’s nowhere near as developed from a technical perspective. But as prospects, they’re similar. 

Basically was going to answer with the exact same thing. I never expect Bryan to come up to even the level of Watt, but he just fits that mold. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Basically was going to answer with the exact same thing. I never expect Bryan to come up to even the level of Watt, but he just fits that mold. 

Watt as a prospect never showed anything close to what he’s actually become. Before the combine, like Bryan, Watt was considered a late 1st round guy. Many people had Robert Quinn and Cameron Jordan ahead of him, and some even had Kerrigan in front. But Watt flat out dominated the combine and showed off athleticism that hadn’t really been seen on tape. He climbed draft boards quickly. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bryan make a similar climb if he comes in and shows off at the combine. 

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If, by some remote chance, Hurst and Bryan are still on the board, who’s your choice. 

My immediate reaction is to take Hurst because of what he’ll likely be able to do from day one, but that potential of Bryan and what he could be in a year or two, especially with Zimmer and Patterson, is hard to pass up. 

That is a tough call for me, but I actually think I lean toward Bryan, because I believe his upside is significantly higher than Hurst and with Patterson as our D-Line coach, he has the ability to develop that talent.  I'd certainly take either one, but I give the slight lean to Bryan.  

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

6-5 with <33" arms doesn't seem great for a DT. Bad for leverage

Tell that to this man... just shy of 6'5 with exactly 33" arms, and small (9") hands.

w640-a8f498a1ab22ea6c9000a9652e4ae5ca.jp

59 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Spielman said while evaluating DE’s they are looking for players who can also play on the inside.

keep an eye out for these guys. 

He also made it sound on KFAN that this is a fairly high priority.

BTW I called this awhile back.

6 minutes ago, Klomp said:

He also made it sound on KFAN that this is a fairly high priority.

BTW I called this awhile back.

Good call, really doesn’t surprise me. Griffen is getting slightly warn. We need some sort of a pass rush help. Can’t depend on a former 7th and UDFA that really haven’t shown much 

Everyone tries to look for traits and patterns with how the Vikings draft. 

If we’ve learned anything, it’s very obvious that Spielman/Zimmer value versatility. 

Maybe we’ll find the player that Scott Crichton was supposed to be. 

Archived