2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Defensive Line

swede700

3 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

A 4.6 from someone who is 315 LBs is, while completely unprecedented, a great sign of explosiveness.

If this kid somehow were to run that fast and jump a 38 vert, I'd buy the band wagon even tho I have no clue who he is.

Edit: a quick google search revealed I'm a little late here.  Hall already had his pro day.

Numbers were:

308 lbs and "just over 6 ft"

38" vert

116 broad

36 reps on bench

And no official 40 but reports from scouts were between the high 4.6's and the low 4.7's

For a reference, here's Aaron Donalds combine numbers

Only 6 feet tall and 308 lbs???  Sounds like a porker.   But, to be able to run  a 4.6 he must have a very strong lower body (legs like tree stumps).  Being that short, he won't be able to knock down many pass attempts.  His jumping indicates he's pretty athletic for being so heavy for a relatively short guy.   

3 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Only 6 feet tall and 308 lbs???  Sounds like a porker.   But, to be able to run  a 4.6 he must have a very strong lower body (legs like tree stumps).  Being that short, he won't be able to knock down many pass attempts.  His jumping indicates he's pretty athletic for being so heavy for a relatively short guy.   

He has blocked 14 kicks in his college career, so I would assume he could knock down a couple passes.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

How so? He shouldn't makery money? Not sure I understand.

Kiper has been accused multiple times by players, and insiders alike, that his big boards have been influenced by agents paying to get their clients a higher ranking. 

2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

He has blocked 14 kicks in his college career, so I would assume he could knock down a couple passes.

Pretty impressive for a player only 6 feet tall.  I guess if he were 6' 5" tall, 308 lb, and so fast, and such a good jumper, he'd go Top 5 in the draft.

6 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Pretty impressive for a player only 6 feet tall.  I guess if he were 6' 5" tall, 308 lb, and so fast, and such a good jumper, he'd go Top 5 in the draft.

As someone else pointed out, his numbers compare pretty well to Aaron Donald. I have never watched him, but just looking at his athleticism and production it's interesting he isn't getting more looks. I guess he's an undersized small school guy, but still. Anyone that has watched him have some more insight?

11 hours ago, vikestyle said:

As someone else pointed out, his numbers compare pretty well to Aaron Donald. I have never watched him, but just looking at his athleticism and production it's interesting he isn't getting more looks. I guess he's an undersized small school guy, but still. Anyone that has watched him have some more insight?

I watched him a little and I'll say this for sure, the athleticism is apparent.

He is very explosive off the line, he moves well and is very strong.

However from what I saw, he needs to be better with his hands, lots of work to be done there. He was a tough study tho because in the games I watched (only two) he was asked to play out of position. In 2016 he played exclusively as an edge player, which is just absurd, and I the 2017 game he played mostly as a 1 tech.

Long story short, there is definitely something there, but he needs some coaching and personally i think he should probably play around more of a 285-290 weight given his height 

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm a big Harold Landry DE fan if he is there & OL prospects Williams, MM, Daniels, Wynn are all gone. 

I agree on being a Landry fan. Would be interesting to see how we would use him.

Smaller than the typical DE we would target, he is more of an OLB in a 3-4. But we did think the same thing with Barr. 

His specialty is far and beyond rushing the QB tho.

Can’t find anything online yet from Justus for the ForcePlayers ranking but I’m guessing Rasheem Green will qualify since Everson Griffen did:

Griffen: 6’03” 3/8, 273 pounds, 32 5/8” arms, 4.66  40 (1.65 10 yard split), 7.25 3-cone, 4.36 shuttle, 32 bench, 34” VJ, 115” BJ

Green:  6’04” 2/8, 275 pounds, 33 3/4” arms, 4.73  40 (1.65 10 yard split), 7.24 3-cone, 4.39 shuttle, 23 bench, 32.5” VJ, 118” BJ

Practically identical size, speed, agility, and explosion. Griffen has a stronger upper body but Green has longer arms. 

Green will be 20 on draft day. Don’t see any concerns about his character, effort or health. Played 3-tech DT and DE, a lot of his sacks come rushing from the DT position in blitz packages that are similar to the Vikings 3rd down scheme. His highlight reel is mostly him beating IOL one on one, including going through Billy Price for a sack. The one thing I don’t see him doing is winning around the corner as a true edge rusher, but he’s got the athleticism to be able to do that if he’s asked to.

I think upgrading / replacing Robison is the biggest need on the defense — I have more confidence in Jaleel Johnson as a DT3 and Alexander/Newman as CB 3/4 than Robison as DE3 / nickel DT this year. If they can get Green somewhere in round 2, that’d be great. 

19 hours ago, Krauser said:

Can’t find anything online yet from Justus for the ForcePlayers ranking but I’m guessing Rasheem Green will qualify since Everson Griffen did:

Griffen: 6’03” 3/8, 273 pounds, 32 5/8” arms, 4.66  40 (1.65 10 yard split), 7.25 3-cone, 4.36 shuttle, 32 bench, 34” VJ, 115” BJ

Green:  6’04” 2/8, 275 pounds, 33 3/4” arms, 4.73  40 (1.65 10 yard split), 7.24 3-cone, 4.39 shuttle, 23 bench, 32.5” VJ, 118” BJ

Practically identical size, speed, agility, and explosion. Griffen has a stronger upper body but Green has longer arms. 

Green will be 20 on draft day. Don’t see any concerns about his character, effort or health. Played 3-tech DT and DE, a lot of his sacks come rushing from the DT position in blitz packages that are similar to the Vikings 3rd down scheme. His highlight reel is mostly him beating IOL one on one, including going through Billy Price for a sack. The one thing I don’t see him doing is winning around the corner as a true edge rusher, but he’s got the athleticism to be able to do that if he’s asked to.

I think upgrading / replacing Robison is the biggest need on the defense — I have more confidence in Jaleel Johnson as a DT3 and Alexander/Newman as CB 3/4 than Robison as DE3 / nickel DT this year. If they can get Green somewhere in round 2, that’d be great. 

I agree, nicely said. Replacing Robison and potentially Hunter is the top remaining prority on the defense. I'd put DE right up there as a top need with RG/RT. 

If that player can be found by round two, I'd be content. 

However, it will make the DE group crowded, which could push Robison or one of the younger DEs (Bower, Weatherly) off the roster. Weatherly had trade interest last year I thought I remember reading, so maybe he's shopped around on draft day if a DE is selected early.

I don’t expect Weatherly to contribute much at this point. He got a few opportunities last year and really struggled.

I have higher hopes for Bower, who I think could be a part of the regular DE rotation if he improves his run defense (awareness, mainly). If not, he might still be able to play some snaps as an edge rusher on passing downs. 

If they draft a DE on day 2, I think they should keep Robison, who’s useful experienced depth even if he’s not a difference maker at his age, and expect the rookie to win those DE/DT snaps gradually as the year goes on. Keep one more developmental project DE (Bower is my favorite), and either trade or release the rest. 

I don’t think there should be any plan to replace Hunter. He’s too good, and still young.. Sign Hunter long term for what it costs and the DE starters are set until Griffen starts to age out, at which point his contract (with very little dead money remaining) can be renegotiated. 

They’re here they’re here they’re here...

Landry is going early to mid 1st.

Sweat and Fitts have had multiple injuries  

Nwosu weighs 240 and is more like a SLB than an edge rusher but maybe he could play Barr’s role in nickel, freeing up Barr to play DE (push Griffen to DT). Vikings had him visit as one of their top 30.

Green seems most promising for what I think they need.

They swung and missed on Crichton, a similar DE/DT tweener at a similar size with comparable athleticism (Crichton passed the Force Player filter that year, but mostly on the 3-cone, while I think Green makes it from his jumps). They’ve also used 7th rounders on Weatherly and Odenigbo, who again are similar athletes, though less impressive, and would project to replace Robison if they developed. So I think Green would definitely be on their short list, if they can land him on day 2. 

Archived