New Mock with Trades.

bosko1616

Lets Go beat me too this LOL....I read the safety comment and off the top of my head thought this kid never saw Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Steve Atwater, Kenny Easly, Eric Turner, Lou Oliver and Darren Sharper NEVER play....LOL, and that's without really thinking about it....

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I’m a ton higher on safety play than you. I’ve seen defenses turn around based on good safety play. Imagine if we had two safeties that played within 20 yards of the LOS. 

Me as well.

Top shelf safeties can impact both the run game as well as pass game, play all three downs, offer schematic versatility, etc.

Also, no Dawkins??

14 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Minkah gives me pause, especially at 4. A big question must be answered: lockdown CB, or FS/hybrid? I believe a similar question was raised about Jalen Ramsey when he came out. Jacksonville felt lockdown CB, so they drafted him appropriately and were proven correct in that eval.

If we think Minkah is a shutdown CB, then jump at him at 4, but if we think hes more FS/hybrid, then there is no way. In the history of the NFL, I can think of only FOUR safeties I could validate taking top 10. Tatum, Lott, Polumalu, and Ed Reed, and all were big playmakers. Minkah doesnt seem to be a big playmaker, but more versatile, smart, and reliable.

I could just as easily see Minkah become Malcolm Jenkins/Antrelle Rolle, both good FS, but hardly worth top 10 picks.

I personally think its wiser to sign Tre Boston, a smart, instinctive, young vet with good coverage skills, and draft a shutdown type CB. At least, that would be my approach.

Antrel Rolle is the perfect comparison for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

11 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Lets Go beat me too this LOL....I read the safety comment and off the top of my head thought this kid never saw Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Steve Atwater, Kenny Easly, Eric Turner, Lou Oliver and Darren Sharper NEVER play....LOL, and that's without really thinking about it....

Seen em play, most at least, and all good safeties, but the position is not top 10. Question of philosophy I guess. Atwater, I just totally blinked on, so 5 safeties. 

Eric Turner is similar to Sean Taylor in terms of unrealized potential.

Sharper, who was great before he started operating by Bill Cosbys playbook,  didnt win a ring until he was an old vet, 13 or so years in his career, and that championship was hardly his doing. 

You guys are right, I keep forgetting about all those superbowls KC won with Eric Berry. Hes good, but come on. The 4 guys I mentioned before won superbowls.

Easley: no rings

Oliver: no rings

You boys are proving my point for me.

You need elite safeties in the NFL nowadays. You can't win with stiffs out there. Most elite defenses have at least 1 stud safety. The only really dominant defense without an elite safety that I can think of in the last 15 years would be the Urlacher-era Bears and this past year's Jaguars.

42 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You need elite safeties in the NFL nowadays. You can't win with stiffs out there. Most elite defenses have at least 1 stud safety. The only really dominant defense without an elite safety that I can think of in the last 15 years would be the Urlacher-era Bears and this past year's Jaguars.

I dont know, buddy. None of the safeties on the Patriots or Philly are world beaters. Best is Malcolm Jenkins, who was drafted 14th overall, which coincidentally is a good place to start drafting safeties.

Just now, Fatgerman said:

I dont know, buddy. None of the safeties on the Patriots or Philly are world beaters. Best is Malcolm Jenkins, who was drafted 14th overall, which coincidentally is a good place to start drafting safeties.

Malcolm Jenkins is an elite safety.

And I don't consider New England to be an elite defense. That being said, the best player on their defense is Devin McCourty.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Malcolm Jenkins is an elite safety.

And I don't consider New England to be an elite defense. That being said, the best player on their defense is Devin McCourty.

Gilmore and Malcolm Brown are pretty good too. And sure, Jenkins is elite, but again, drafted 14th overall, a good place to draft a safety.

11 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Seen em play, most at least, and all good safeties, but the position is not top 10. Question of philosophy I guess. Atwater, I just totally blinked on, so 5 safeties. 

Eric Turner is similar to Sean Taylor in terms of unrealized potential.

Sharper, who was great before he started operating by Bill Cosbys playbook,  didnt win a ring until he was an old vet, 13 or so years in his career, and that championship was hardly his doing. 

You guys are right, I keep forgetting about all those superbowls KC won with Eric Berry. Hes good, but come on. The 4 guys I mentioned before won superbowls.

Easley: no rings

Oliver: no rings

You boys are proving my point for me.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here.....stating that Eric Turner and Sean Taylor or unrealized Potential, makes me feel like your confusing unrealized PRODUCTION, because their careers were cut short by things that happen to all humans regardless of Job and economic status. Random acts of violence and cancer, can striker anyone of us on this board TODAY, just like it did them....with unrealized POTENTIAL like a Justin Blackmon or Jamarcus Russell, who pissed away their talent for drugs or drinking......to me that's like saying that Jerome Brown was an OK DT because he died in a car Wreck, or that Ernie Davis was not worth the top pick in the draft, because he later came down with Leukemia...or that you wouldnt have draft Bo Jackson in the top 10, because later he had a freak hip injury? 

With Darren Sharper, I focused on his years as a dominant Ball hawking FS, for multiple teams,  Not his poor choices post playing career.....and yes he does have a ring also...but its funny how you selectively say he was not responsible for it, when your naming safeties who played on Defenses with MULTIPLE HOF's playing along side them on the offense and defense. Another thing is look at is Guess who Ronnie Lott (one of your listed safties) is tied with on the all time INT list ;)

Also with Ed Reed....without a doubt one of my favorite players of all time....teammate of Sean Taylor at the U of Miami (there is an old article I probably wont be able to find, but they asked Ed Reed one time, who was better, him or Sean T.....Reed was emphatic about how much better Sean Taylor was than he was)..but the Ravens team that is considered the best (or 2nd best IMO to the '85 bears) Defense of all time, didnt even include Ed Reed? (reed was drafted in 2000)

And if were using your logic, then a player has to have a SB ring, to justify being selected in the top 5-Top 10, then if that was the case then your saying that Trent Dilfer, Joe Flaco and Nick Foles were all worth top 5/10 picks, while Dan Marino, Bernie Kosar and Jim Kelly would NOT be worth top 10 picks......remember football is a team game...and there are 22 starters needed to win a SB. One man winning one or not has nothing to do with their individual talent level....Individual talent level/potential IMO is what makes a person worth or not worth a top 10 pick....

IJS

Archived