My Pre-Combine Mock

mwalker

I haven't been posting or commenting in a while. No big reason, just busy. Thought I'd come back and chat draft.

A few things I'm assuming...

Bell is either signed to a long term deal or is franchised again.

Mitchell and Wilcox are both let go. We do not resign any running backs. Gay and Sensabaugh are not retained, unfortunately neither is Hubbard.

We do not lock up Dupree, and decide to wait and see. We keep all of our TEs.

My opinion is that leaves our needs as follows ILB, FS, OLB, S/LB HYBRID, WR, CB, RB, DT, OL (I think Bryant is in his last year, possibly Dupree)

In FA, I think we look at Avery Williamson and Eric Reid, but both end up too expensive. I think it's more likely we end up with Anthony Hitchens or Tre Boston.

We currently have Picks in rounds 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7. I've heard mixed views on whether or not we get a comp pick, so I won't guess.

More broadly, I think we place an emphasis of defense - specifically athleticism and tackling. 

So, my pre-combine mock:

RD 1 - LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH  (I'd prefer Rashaan Evans for our defense, but I think he's gone by our RD 1.)

RD 2 - S  KYZIR WHITE  (I want Justin Reid but think he's gone before our RD 2 pick. I choose White over D. Elliott. and A.Watts)

RD 3 - OLB TYQUAN LEWIS (He's not as 'bendy' as some EDGE players, but he's a powerful, experienced player. Again, great tackler.)

RD 5 - WR DEON CAIN (I think he's suffering from a lack of touches, mistaken as a lack of production. Good player, especially here.)

RD 5 - CB HOLTON HILL (He drops from character concerns, but is a real player at 6'2 205. This is an optimistic drop, I admit, but it happens.)  

RD 7 - LB JOEL IYIEGBUNIWE (A thumper, out of W.Kentucky. He likely tests his way in to the mid rounds, but as of now, we get him here.)

RD 7 - RB DARREL WILLIAMS (Athletic, tough, big, runner who's been stuck behind stars. I think he's a solid early, with low miles.)

35 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I haven't been posting or commenting in a while. No big reason, just busy. Thought I'd come back and chat draft.

Mitchell and Wilcox are both let go. We do not resign any running backs. Gay and Sensabaugh are not retained, unfortunately neither is Hubbard.

My opinion is that leaves our needs as follows ILB, FS, OLB, S/LB HYBRID, WR, CB, RB, DT, OL (I think Bryant is in his last year, possibly Dupree)

In FA, I think we look at Avery Williamson and Eric Reid, but both end up too expensive. I think it's more likely we end up with Anthony Hitchens or Tre Boston.

We currently have Picks in rounds 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7. I've heard mixed views on whether or not we get a comp pick, so I won't guess.

More broadly, I think we place an emphasis of defense - specifically athleticism and tackling. 

So, my pre-combine mock:

RD 1 - LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH  (I'd prefer Rashaan Evans for our defense, but I think he's gone by our RD 1.)

RD 2 - S  KYZIR WHITE  (I want Justin Reid but think he's gone before our RD 2 pick. I choose White over D. Elliott. and A.Watts)

RD 3 - OLB TYQUAN LEWIS (He's not as 'bendy' as some EDGE players, but he's a powerful, experienced player. Again, great tackler.)

RD 5 - WR DEON CAIN (I think he's suffering from a lack of touches, mistaken as a lack of production. Good player, especially here.)

RD 5 - CB HOLTON HILL (He drops from character concerns, but is a real player at 6'2 205. This is an optimistic drop, I admit, but it happens.)  

RD 7 - LB JOEL IYIEGBUNIWE (A thumper, out of W.Kentucky. He likely tests his way in to the mid rounds, but as of now, we get him here.)

RD 7 - RB DARREL WILLIAMS (Athletic, tough, big, runner who's been stuck behind stars. I think he's a solid early, with low miles.)

I've watched Vander Esch and I'm not as thrilled as others here are.  Doesn't mean I'm right I just don't  see it.

Like White.

Lewis is someone that I want to like but that entire front is hard to project minus Bosa.

I like Cain.  He's a solid bigger WR who plays bigger than he is.  I thought he was 6'4 but he's closer to 6'2.

Hill is nice there.

Iyiegbuniwe is someone I need to watch.

Williams is a one speed power house that Tomlin loves.

Overall I really like it.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, mwalker said:

So, my pre-combine mock:

I continue to see this name in a lot of mocks. I have seen some highlights on him and a few assorted defensive plays, but have not  had a chance to dive deep into his film yet. I see some good things and a few things that somewhat concern me, but the jury is still out for me as far as a number one pick.

I like Kyzir a lot.  I have him as a third or forth, but it is early yet. I actually have picked him in both of my mocks. It would be nice to have a safety who is physical and will tackle. He has some coverage skills as well, but more of an in the box strong safety type.

I don't know much about the rest of the players yet, but I like the positions you drafted.  I also think that your off season analysis is pretty spot on.  I would like to see us get Tre Boston, but he will be expensive as well coming off the season that he had.  With the resigning of Bell, we may end up with Timmons back for a year on an aging veteran hometown discount.

As far as your picks go, the 7th from the Giants is now a 6th round pick and we have been awarded an extra 5th round comp giving the Steelers a total of 8 picks with three in the 5th.

The Giants pick is a 7th as of now. Labriola has admitted he was wrong.  But no announcement has happen yet so you can still hope.

1. 28
2. 60
3. 92
5. 148 (9'ers could change coin toss)
5. 165
7. 220 (Giants) Maybe
7. 246

And no comp picks as per twitter.

I've checked 2 different sites that were updated as early as today and neither has the Steelers getting any Comp picks. So I don't know what's going on.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hands-out-compensatory-picks-for-2018-nfl-draft-cowboys-packers-big-winners/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/23/full-list-of-compensatory-draft-picks-awarded-for-2018-nfl-draft/

14 hours ago, jebrick said:

The Giants pick is a 7th as of now. Labriola has admitted he was wrong.  But no announcement has happen yet so you can still hope.

1. 28
2. 60
3. 92
5. 148 (9'ers could change coin toss)
5. 165
7. 220 (Giants) Maybe
7. 246

And no comp picks as per twitter.

I just saw that as well.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-not-awarded-compensatory-draft-pick/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/update-steelers-get-7th-round-pick-ross-cockrell-not-6th/

What's with all these sites putting out news and then retracting it?  LOL  Thanks for the update.

Archived