Is it time to blow it up and start anew?

Golfman

Last year was frustrating to say the least. It took me back to the 70's and 80's wacthing, knowing we had little change to win. We've been spoiled since Favre came to town, no doubt but what is the solution to keep it going long term. I've been wrestling with that thought a lot this off season. 

1. We have no guarantee Rodgers is going to be the same or near the same guy. 

2. Both collorbones have now been broken, he's what, 35 years old, and his arm strength wasn't the same when he came back. I understand he wasn't a 100% but do we get the same guy back.

3. Our margin for error was so small even before he went down. Go back and watch the games we won with him. Other than the Chicago game our wins were a one possession deal. 

I'm not suggesting we trade Rodgers, but if a whopper of a deal from Cleveland were offered you'd have to think about it. 

Do we draft Rodgers heir apparent since we do not expect to be in this position again while he's around and there should be a potential franchise QB available at #14. 

Do we just ride out this journey with Rodgers, hope we get a difference maker or two this draft. Hope our young guys step up and our defense becomes decent. Hope Nelson and Cobb have turnaround seasons. Hope we avoid the injury bug. 

I'd don't know the answer but am tempted to say, blow it up and get the next great QB now. Might be our last chance in a long while. 

Love to hear others thoughts. 

I don't know if breaking your collarbone would impair his arm strength or not.   I don't put a lot of weight into what we saw against Carolina last season. (Looking back we were foolish to rush him back like that.  I hope that isn't going to be a problem for him going forward.)  Quarterbacks like him are as rare as hen's teeth.  When you find one you hang onto them no matter what.  The Saints kept Brees even tho the team around him faltered for a couple of years.  Once they improved their defense they were a force yet again.  Rodgers is younger than Brees so I'm hoping Pettine and Gutey can fix our defense so we can continue to ride this journey with AR for at least 4 more years.  If we decide to blow it up and start over we absolutely will go back to the 70s and 80s.  Too many young QBs coming out of college today flame out once they get to the NFL so there is no guarantee Rodgers' heir apparent will be the answer.   

7 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The next great QB isn't out there this year.

Pretty much what every NFL team said about Rodgers.......... and Favre. I kow we can't roll with Hundley. It might be time to, at the very least, select the heir apparent and start grooming that person. 

3 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Only way that would make sense would be if we already had Rodgers replacement on the roster.  You can't just blow it up on the expectation that you'll get a replacement QB who is good enough soon.

Don't disagree, but you can get a guy like Bradford who could hold fort for 2 years while the 'alleged' replacement get ready. My other point would be I just don't think our roster is good enough even with Rodgers to get to the Super Bowl anymore. If could change with a few younger guys becoming elite and drafting a few studs however. 

I'm not sure what the "Blow it up" being proposed is.  It seems like it's predicated on trading Rodgers.  If they're really planing on going bare bones and re-building I think you need to clear; Matthews, Nelson, Cobb, Bulaga, and cut ties with Burnett.  Last year was a perfect storm of bad luck.  I don't think there needs to be a complete overhaul, but I do think that the front office and coaching changes are a plus.  The next month should be very telling on what the new leadership thinks of the current roster.

Good topic Golf.  We don't have anything behind Rodgers so the point is mute as of now.  If a franchise type QB drops to us at 14 Pack could take him.  Develop for a few years and let Rodgers play out his current contract.  Franchise Rodgers and then trade him for a boatload of picks.  Accomplishes a couple of things.  Preserves the cap and also gives us a decent back up in case Rodgers goes down again.  If we miss on the pick re up Rodgers and let him finish out his career in GB.  If the drafted QB shows promise tag and trade Rodgers.  Pretty ruthless not sure it's something the Packers would do.  

I am concerned about Rodgers coming back the same.  In the minority opinion on this he might be just fine.  Don't know.  Best way to protect the franchise is take a QB up high in this draft.  Possible we could trade back and still get a guy like Rudolph to develop and let it shake out.  I would be very hesitant to give Rodgers a monster contract until he proves himself on the field after the injury.  Also Aaron will be 37 at the expiration of his current contract.  2 more years right?  Not exactly a young guy and as you pointed out 2 broken collarbones.  

The other side is a guy like Rodgers in a generational type QB and not someone you want to bet against.  It is doubtful we will hit for a 3rd time.  Wouldn't trade him now and also wouldn't offer a monster contract either.  Would study the heck out of this QB class and seriously consider drafting one if the opportunity presents itself.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Last year was frustrating to say the least. It took me back to the 70's and 80's wacthing, knowing we had little change to win. We've been spoiled since Favre came to town, no doubt but what is the solution to keep it going long term. I've been wrestling with that thought a lot this off season. 

1. We have no guarantee Rodgers is going to be the same or near the same guy.
I don't see why not. A collarbone is not like a rotator cuff.

2. Both collorbones have now been broken, he's what, 35 years old, and his arm strength wasn't the same when he came back. I understand he wasn't a 100% but do we get the same guy back.
Rodgers is barely 34 (in December)

3. Our margin for error was so small even before he went down. Go back and watch the games we won with him. Other than the Chicago game our wins were a one possession deal.
All the more reason to keep a guy who makes a difference 

I'm not suggesting we trade Rodgers, but if a whopper of a deal from Cleveland were offered you'd have to think about it. 

Do we draft Rodgers heir apparent since we do not expect to be in this position again while he's around and there should be a potential franchise QB available at #14. 
My current take is the Packers do that after the 2021 season (AR will be 37, that season, 38 in December of that year) This assumes there is anyone good out there that year, often there isn't.

Do we just ride out this journey with Rodgers, hope we get a difference maker or two this draft. Hope our young guys step up and our defense becomes decent. Hope Nelson and Cobb have turnaround seasons. Hope we avoid the injury bug. 
Yes, but with less of the hope, more of the taking actions. Packers move on from both Nelson and Cobb in the next year or three.

I'd don't know the answer but am tempted to say, blow it up and get the next great QB now. Might be our last chance in a long while. 
You should never let a great QB go unless you are sure he is slipping (a lot) or you have his replacement in place.

Love to hear others thoughts. 

To me, the 'blow it up' time has just happened. That did not directly impact the players (though it will eventually), but it sure affected  the scouts, GM, coordinators, position coaches.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

To me, the 'blow it up' time has just happened. That did not directly impact the players (though it will eventually), but it sure affected  the scouts, GM, coordinators, position coaches.

I agree with much of you what you say. I guess blowing it up completely would mean trading Rodgers. The only way I'd do that and I'd still have to think long and hard about it would be if Cleveland offered something stupid. Like say their 2-1st, top 2-2nds and Myles Garrett. Before you dismiss it, look at what they are predicting Kirk Cousins is going to get! He's barely above average as a QB. I'd have to think about that given Rodgers age and IMO, health concerns going forward. Those may only be in my head and not reality. 

I think in order to really move the team with Rodgers forward we have to move from from at least tow of these contracts: Nelson, Cobb and Matthews. This would give us the cash/flexibility to add younger guys through free agency who could contribute. I'd be after Paul Richardson at WR and Fuller at CB from the Bears. 

Can we wait and see what we have with Pettine's defense before we get rid of the greatest QB we've ever seen play?  Hes not even 35 yet, the dude will probably play another 6 or 7 years. Your 'what ifs' are a lot less likely than the 'What if Rodgers comes back better than ever-- dominates the league for the next half decade' 

Why do folks want change? We changed our entire coaching staff---lets see what we got this year. If we go 2-14 with Rodgers starting every game then lets talk. 

As a Vikings fan there’s no way you should blow it up. Rodgers is the best player in football. You should dump as many resources as possible into the defense and ride it out for at least 4 more years. It worries many of us vikes fans that capers and Thompson are now gone. I feel that they were holding you back and now your going to fix the things that needed fixing. Should be an interesting next year. Skol

Blowing up a team with a HOF QB is just crazy IMO. I think we're probably still a year or two away from even going all in mood as a matter of fact. Next year Nelson, Cobb, and Matthews come off the books and Haha is the only free agent worth a real contract that we'd potentially have to sign. Thinking that if we dont go big this year in free agency, even with a Rodgers extension and potentially signing Haha, we should have +50 million easily in cap space going into 2019. That's plenty of money to pick up 2 or 3 real difference makers on defense and give Rodgers a top defense for a few seasons before he hits 40.

I'm not even sure how to go about it.

First off, the only way the Packers would even entertain the notion of blowing it up is if a team offered us a Godfather kind of offer.  Think like Myles Garrett, and the Browns 2 first round picks at a bare minimum to get the Packers to even consider that.  That's the kind of offer you'd need to get in order to justify moving Aaron Rodgers.  And even then, the PR disaster of dealing Aaron Rodgers is almost too much.  That's why I think it's highly unlikely at best that they'd even entertain an offer on Rodgers even if some team was willing to pay the price.

Secondly, would a team be willing to make that kind of Godfather offer?  My guess is not.  That's a TON of capital that you're giving up for Aaron Rodgers, and the next contract he's due.  That's probably too much for a team like Cleveland to stomach.

Archived