Is it time to blow it up and start anew?

Golfman

On 2/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Golfman said:

Don't disagree, but you can get a guy like Bradford who could hold fort for 2 years while the 'alleged' replacement get ready. My other point would be I just don't think our roster is good enough even with Rodgers to get to the Super Bowl anymore. If could change with a few younger guys becoming elite and drafting a few studs however. 

This is wishful thinking. Bradford is not reliable enough to count on for eight games, much less two seasons. And then, of course, the Packers wlll choose the rookie Qb who will step in and become a franchise QB, because that is easy to do. Which begs the question, if its that easy, why doesn't every team have a franchise QB? 

Now, I totally agree with your second thought, that with the development of some of the younger players, like Clark and a couple of the younger DB's; the additon of some youngsters, and, some role players in FA, with Rodgers coming back, this team is definitely SB ready. And AR will be ready to resume playing at his usual, unusually good level. 

1 hour ago, ricky said:

This is wishful thinking. Bradford is not reliable enough to count on for eight games, much less two seasons. And then, of course, the Packers wlll choose the rookie Qb who will step in and become a franchise QB, because that is easy to do. Which begs the question, if its that easy, why doesn't every team have a franchise QB? 

Now, I totally agree with your second thought, that with the development of some of the younger players, like Clark and a couple of the younger DB's; the additon of some youngsters, and, some role players in FA, with Rodgers coming back, this team is definitely SB ready. And AR will be ready to resume playing at his usual, unusually good level. 

I hope that is the case Ricky, but we watched more than a decade of Favre with no turn trip. It's not that easy and Rodgers has covered a lot of shortfalls. I honestly didn't think I would be saying this, but I like the idea of TT being gone. 

Just now, MathMan said:

sign a vet QB then.

We cant realistically roll with hundley as QB2.

And that's probably the most realistic situation if you're not wanting Brett Hundley to be your QB2.  There isn't a QB in this year's draft that will be on the board when the Packers pick with their non-1st round pick that is an upgrade over Brett Hundley.  It's a vet QB or Hundley, take your pick.

Just now, CWood21 said:

And that's probably the most realistic situation if you're not wanting Brett Hundley to be your QB2.  There isn't a QB in this year's draft that will be on the board when the Packers pick with their non-1st round pick that is an upgrade over Brett Hundley.  It's a vet QB or Hundley, take your pick.

Fair enough

I'll take a vet around the same caliber as Josh McCown or Matt Moore

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I can pretty much guarantee you that we won't pick a QB on Day 2 of the draft.  And I think the response from posters might be bordering on a riot.

I'm personally not married to picking a QB early. If we roll with Rodgers until he can't play anymore, then try and load up on talent. I do not think that should preclude us from restructuring Matthews, Nelson, Cobb or releasing them if they won't restruture. I think we have to be more active in free agency to upgrade some positions. I'm not convinced any of the three are upper echelon players any longer. 

On 2/23/2018 at 7:41 AM, joeybrowner47 said:

As a Vikings fan there’s no way you should blow it up. Rodgers is the best player in football. You should dump as many resources as possible into the defense and ride it out for at least 4 more years. It worries many of us vikes fans that capers and Thompson are now gone. I feel that they were holding you back and now your going to fix the things that needed fixing. Should be an interesting next year. Skol

Sound reasoning for a Vikes fan (though your appreciation of perhaps the most underrated Vike ever indicates an elite football mind).

Anyway, I completely agree. 

I think the Caper-previous GM duo is the principal reason the Pack has not been back to a SB since 2010.

Time for McCarthy and his new staff to show their mettle. 

To me, there is more reason for optimism heading into 2018 than there has been for many seasons.

53 minutes ago, MathMan said:

sign a vet QB then.

We cant realistically roll with hundley as QB2.

I've been pushing for Brock Osweiler for some time. The guy is a UFA, and could be gotten for around $6 million/year average. Is that too much for a backup? Its all relative. You get what you pay for, unless you want to rely on luck.Getting and keeping talent isn't cheap. But then again, the salary cap is going up again this year, which should make this situation more bearable.

Just now, ricky said:

I've been pushing for Brock Osweiler for some time. The guy is a UFA, and could be gotten for around $6 million/year average. Is that too much for a backup? Its all relative. You get what you pay for, unless you want to rely on luck.Getting and keeping talent isn't cheap. But then again, the salary cap is going up again this year, which should make this situation more bearable.

I would definitely take brock over hundley.

When your QB1 goes down, the season doesn't have to be over.

If Hundley was QB2 for Philly, We'd be seeing either a Minnesota or NE SB win

36 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm personally not married to picking a QB early. If we roll with Rodgers until he can't play anymore, then try and load up on talent. I do not think that should preclude us from restructuring Matthews, Nelson, Cobb or releasing them if they won't restruture. I think we have to be more active in free agency to upgrade some positions. I'm not convinced any of the three are upper echelon players any longer. 

Have a developmental talent behind Rodgers? Of course. That is just prudent. Trade AR and hope a yet unknown vet will somehow "keep things afloat" for a couple of years while an undetermined  rookie develops? That is not a good idea, IMO. Capers is now gone, something many have been wanting for years. And TT,  for better or worse (because Gutekunst is still an unknown) is also gone. MM is on a one year extension. The Packers are reshaping themselves, similar to what they did with the hiring of Wolf and Holmgren. We'll see how far this goes. We are, indeed, living in interesting times.

The only time to blow this thing up is when Rodgers leaves and even then that'll be quite the debate. I'm not willing to give up because I firmly believe that we're a solid TE and a pass rush away from a SB caliber team.

I’ll say this, whenever Rodgers is done here I want this team to go full rebuild and suck out loud for a year or two if we have to do so. We’re devoid of top talent from a near decade of picking outside the top 10, the best chance to get back to a top level is taking the Jaguars approach of drafting well AND making the right free agency additions when you have a stupid amount of cap to do so.

Archived