2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

I would like, at this stage, to expand the conversation currently in the Prospects thread to more specific positions, especially with the Combine occurring next week. 

The next positional group I'd like to discuss is the offensive line, since that'll be a high priority for them, as they could potentially look to need both guard and tackle help to help bolster protection for whatever quarterback is under center.  Currently, the only players that seem to be locked into their current positions are Riley Reiff at LT and Pat Elflein at C, although potentially even Reiff could be moved over to the right tackle spot...although I think there's a slim chance at best.  As far as the other positions, there is room for improvement or swapping around, as is the case of Mike Remmers.  Remmers will be starting somewhere, but it could be either at RG or RT (and potentially even LG) depending upon free agency and the draft.  Nick Easton could be back starting at LG (he's also a RFA), or he could be rotational C/G and Rashod Hill could be starting at RT or he could go back to being a backup OT.  

The other players on the line are either veteran backups (Jeremiah Sirles, whose also RFA) or young and inexperienced (Danny Isidora, Cornelius Edison, Aviante Collins, Cedrick Lang, Dieugot Joseph, Josh Andrews).

Based upon descriptions I've seen in various places, these are some of the names that I believe could be good fits for the team.

Guards

Will Hernandez, UTEP - I'm not sure I think he's a good fit because he seems to be more squatty than what our team looks for in an OL, but he's a very good player and will likely be available.

Austin Corbett, Nevada - Good quickness and size for an interior player and seems to have a very competitive player.  

Cole Madison, Wazzu - Very athletic, especially since he played in a pass-heavy offense and would likely be pretty good next to Elflein.  He seems to have fairly the same stature as Joe Berger.  

Tackles

Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame - Probably won't be available, but including him because he would be a great fit with his athleticism and could easily start at either LT or RT for this team.

Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State - Jack of all trades, master of none.  He isn't great at one thing, but he is pretty good at all of them.  He could potentially be a rotational OL at both RT and G.

KC McDermott, Miami - Another guy who could be a rotational player at both G/T...very aggressive player and  which Sparano may love, and pretty good size which matches the current squad of Vikings' linemen..    

What are your thoughts on these guys?  Anyone else that you think would be a good fit for the Purple Protectors?

Price would be a great pick in the 2nd round. 

Ragnow is flying under the radar because of his injury this past year, but it’s going to be interesting to see where his stock goes as the draft process unfolds. 

Hernandez might be my favorite guard (it’s a toss up with Wynn). He’s such a mean player. 

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Price would be a great pick in the 2nd round. 

Ragnow is flying under the radar because of his injury this past year, but it’s going to be interesting to see where his stock goes as the draft process unfolds. 

Hernandez might be my favorite guard (it’s a toss up with Wynn). He’s such a mean player. 

100% agree with this. 

Hernandez is so fun to watch. Would be interesting to see his fit. Outside of size, he is a very similar player to Brandon Brooks. Just a mean, aggressive player. Almost like a Larry Allen type.

Price seems like the perfect “fit” if he is in the second round. His only issues I have found is that a scout said he is “hard to get along with”, but with Elflein playing with him, maybe those two get along a little more.

would be interesting to see if they would put Price at guard if we were to get him, or if they would just leave Elflein. Both are supposedly extremely smart.

It seems to be a trend on our line to find players that can play multiple positions. 

Berger, Elfien, Sirles, Remmers, Berger. Could even include Reiff for playing both tackle positions. 

Would assume that won’t change. 

21 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

would be interesting to see if they would put Price at guard if we were to get him, or if they would just leave Elflein. Both are supposedly extremely smart.

If we land Price I would like to see him at G. I thought Elflein did well as a rookie C.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

not enough mass, not that good either tbh.

tall thing doesn’t bother me if they have the mass. He just looks awkward playing. So unbalanced.

Thats a good way of putting it. When you get that tall, the leverage battle becomes a major problem. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Thats a good way of putting it. When you get that tall, the leverage battle becomes a major problem. 

It’s really one thing I have always been able to compare to wrestling. Tall, lanky guys always struggle with leverage. 

Its weird calling a guy that is 309 pounds, lanky, but it’s fair to do so when your 6’9” tall. 

Watching him, you can see he struggled. He was good enough at the college level because he was just athletic enough, but he would need a lot of work. Someone will still way over reach for the guy

Archived