2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

One thing to keep in mind is where these offensive linemen have lined up along the line. 

During this time of year we tend to just assume that these players can move from one side to the other, with no issues. But it isn’t that simple. For a lot of these guys changing your footwork from one side to the other is like learning to use your other hand, and for some it comes very easy. 

While it’s fairly far down the list of concerns, it should be noted that players like Wynn, Williams, Hernandez, etc. have only played on the left side of the line. Whereas guys like Price and Ragnow have plenty of experience on the right side. 

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

One thing to keep in mind is where these offensive linemen have lined up along the line. 

During this time of year we tend to just assume that these players can move from one side to the other, with no issues. But it isn’t that simple. For a lot of these guys changing your footwork from one side to the other is like learning to use your other hand, and for some it comes very easy. 

While it’s fairly far down the list of concerns, it should be noted that players like Wynn, Williams, Hernandez, etc. have only played on the left side of the line. Whereas guys like Price and Ragnow have plenty of experience on the right side. 

Good points.  I look at it as we have a starter left tackle with Reiff , a starter at center with Elflein , and somebody on the right side with Remmers. 

So we do have some flexibility in taking the best OL regardless of what side they would play on, but could also look at what you mentioned between two similarly rated players. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Easton is the starter at LG. It’s going to take a lot to unseat him this year. And that would still leave a hole on the right side. 

I don't think (nor want Easton) locked into LG. If we draft Wynn or Daniels for example, I would want them at LG and slide Easton to RG.

I'd prefer to create a "strong side" so the LT-LG-C would hopefully be strong, RG-RT potentially weaker but give them help with a TE. I like the "strong side" so Cousins can tend to that side a bit more, knowing it's more reliable there.

Remmers can play either guard spot or RT, Reiff can play either tackle position, Elflein could play either guard spot — the 3 locks for the OL are very flexible. 

I don’t think Easton’s a guaranteed starter. If they draft Wynn, LG is probably his best position, and I’d expect him to be a big upgrade from Easton, even as a rookie. If they draft Williams, and he isn’t ready to start outside, or they see him as a guard, LG is probably his best fit too. Corbett is another college LT who probably moves initially to LG in the NFL. With a couple of those guys, especially Williams, we might eventually see him move outside to LT (with Reiff to RT), at which point Easton might end up starting again  

The other set of possibilities involves drafting a C/G like Ragnow or Price, or a pure G like Hernandez. If the Vikings see Remmers as a G going forward, the rookie would likely start at one guard spot and Remmers the other, with Elflein in between them. 

In many of these scenarios, the IOL ends up as Elflein, Remmers and a rookie, with Easton as the IOL backup — Berger’s role circa 2012-13. 

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s worth noting that Frank Ragnow has played LG, RG, and C in college.

Billy Price has also played all 3 spots.  Billy Price started at LG when Pat Elflien was the RG for Ohio State.  Then after the Buckeyes lost Taylor Decker they moved Jamarco Jones from RT to LT, Elflein went from RG to C, and Price went from LG to RG.

19 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If we draft Wynn or Daniels for example, I would want them at LG and slide Easton to RG

Don't like that idea at all. A lot of linemen have said switching sides on the line is like wiping with the opposite hand than you're used to, and it really screws them up. We saw how awful Fusco was when he moved from right to left, and Easton is better than Fusco ever was, I don't think he should be messed with

7 minutes ago, Robbroy45 said:

Don't like that idea at all. A lot of linemen have said switching sides on the line is like wiping with the opposite hand than you're used to, and it really screws them up. We saw how awful Fusco was when he moved from right to left, and Easton is better than Fusco ever was, I don't think he should be messed with

I get what your saying... But the goal would be to put Daniels\Wynn at the LG so they can grow & get accustomed to that for 5-10 years.

If Easton struggles at RG, move Remmers to RG & insert Hill at RT, have Easton as backup. Easton is not my priority in this situation

I rather prepare the rookie who we see a the long-term starter comfortable from day 1

Archived