2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

I agree with that.  When it comes to the OL I would much rather have a smart player who understands the position and plays with good technique over an athlete that is full of potential, but hasn’t shown an understanding of how to play the position.  OL is a tough position to teach and similar to wrestling even the biggest and strongest guys can be easily beaten with bad technique.  I think that is part of the reason why so many highly drafted OL have busted in recent years.

Center Billy Price‘s trip to the Scouting Combine was an unpleasant one as he partially tore his pectoral while doing the bench press in Indianapolis.

Price said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he feels he’s made excellent progress in his recovery and that he has regained full range of motion after the injury. He said his rehab work has progressed to the point that he’s benching a 10-pound dumbbell for the first time since Indianapolis. The expectation has been that Price will be ready to take part in training camp and his update doesn’t call that into much question, so the end result for Price might not wind up being all that different than it would have been if he’d avoided the injury altogether.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/billy-price-says-he-has-full-range-of-motion-after-partially-torn-pec/

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s a great article. Brandon Thorn is the guy Matthew Coller keeps bringing on the Purple Podcast to gush over Pat Elflein with him. 

My list at this point for OL:

No chance: Nelson, McGlinchey

Doubt they make it to #30 and not sure the Vikings take them if they did: Hernandez, Wynn. Hernandez is really good but I think they’ll want a zone scheme guy. Wynn is really good but there’s an injury concern. Both probably go before the Vikings pick anyway.

Good chance to be there at #30 and happy to see the Vikings draft them there: Ragnow, Williams. Ragnow is a better player, very high floor. Williams has some technical flaws, but he’s young and a good player already and has a chance of being a starting tackle. Both would be great scheme fits (great mobility, strong run blockers) and high character guys. Both attended the top 30. 

Good chance to be there at #30 but wouldn’t take them there without trading down into the early-to-mid 2nd: Price, Daniels. Both seem like pretty good but not great players. I’m not excited about Daniels because he seems undersized and plays a smaller game, and we already have Elflein for that. Price is a nice story with the connection to Elflein but I want a discount for the injury, not taking him top 40.

2nd rounders or 3rd, would be great for the 2nd Vikings pick: Corbett, Crosby, Jamarco Jones. All seem to have high floors. Would be most happy with Jones as a very likely starter at RT. 

Day 3 picks I would like based on what little I know: Gossett, Quessenberry, Cappa, Richardson, Noteboom

8 hours ago, Krauser said:

Hernandez is really good but I think they’ll want a zone scheme guy

This is a good point that I hadn't already thought of. I was got caught up in watching Hernandez completely take guys out of plays and was getting excited about him without even considering how he might fit into the Vikings scheme.

The draft is so fluid and it is hard to know exactly who will be there at 30 or into the second.  With IOL being a lower-valued position and good depth in the early rounds there is likely to be a first round player available at 30 (Wynn, Hernandez, Williams, Ragnow).

Either by staying, trading, back, or trading up it is imperative that the team gets a starting caliber offensive lineman.

49 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

With IOL being a lower-valued position

That's generally been the case, but it might not remain so in an era where multiple guards get >$10M AAV free agent contracts, and only one RB is worth more than $8M. 

43 minutes ago, Krauser said:

That's generally been the case, but it might not remain so in an era where multiple guards get >$10M AAV free agent contracts, and only one RB is worth more than $8M. 

Yes. Will be interesting to see if the value goes up in draft capital.  The longevity of IOL is certainly more than RB.

Archived