TCMD - Suggestions and Feedback

ny92mike

1 minute ago, ny92jefferis said:

Really just keeping everything at 5 years or less.  The prorated bonus is spread over a max of 5 years.  The only players that really are signed for longer deals are super stars.

giphy.gif

Really just keeping everything at 5 years or less.  The prorated bonus is spread over a max of 5 years.  The only players that really are signed for longer deals are super stars.

giphy.gif

Even 5 years is way too long for most deals. I think maybe 4 or 5 guys will get 5 years deals. 

5 years for the Superstars

4 for the really good players

3 or less for everyone else.

If you track the deals of real free agency, you'll see a good chunk are shorter term deals

Any ideas on restructures and extensions?  Are you guys good with the max 3.  I wouldn't want to go over that amount but if you guys have ideas on actual criteria for who is allowed to be have their contracts altered, that would be awesome.  I know that there were a few gm's that wanted to be able to extend a contract but couldn't because the current criteria prevented it.

I'd like to have the 5-year option. Sometimes you want to land a player for an extended period of time right from the start, that's part of the appeal to ink an impact player.

Re-structures is a pressing topic tbh. I actually think there should be 1 allowed per team. Multiple re-structures do not take place often in a single offseason. GMs in the mock obviously use this to create 'magic' cap space for a more bombastic offseason. 1 allows for GMs to make that much more wiggle room with a snap of the fingers but prevents the free-for-all that results from many of them.

8 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

So many other positions get five year deals though.  I'd hate to just limit that option to quarterback when irl every position gets them.

When they do though, the money is fairly consistent with no real % increase though. IE Josh Norman
16: $8,000,000
17: $20,000,000
18: $16,937,500
19: $14,500,000
20: $15,500,000

One of the first years is the big bonus pay out, and then it's fairly consistent. The last years aren't a 30 mil or whatever to artificially produce a higher average, once the bonus is paid out it's roughly 15mil.

Edit Von Miller is similar:
16: $11,500,000
17: $19,900,000
18: $22,400,000
19: $20,900,000
20: $21,400,000
21: $18,000,000

Scaling up doesn't really happen in long deals

Just now, PurpleMugen said:

I'd like to have the 5-year option. Sometimes you want to land a player for an extended period of time right from the start, that's part of the appeal to ink an impact player.

For the good young players, but not for the average guys. Like I signed Luke Wilson and John Brown to 5 year deals because that is what the formula asked for. That is too much. Those guys will get 1-3 year deals IRL 

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

For the good young players, but not for the average guys. Like I signed Luke Wilson and John Brown to 5 year deals because that is what the formula asked for. That is too much. Those guys will get 1-3 year deals IRL 

Maybe something like having the number of years be impacted by the amount offered.  Not sure if its even doable but for example.  If I offer say Cousins 29 million contract odds are its going to be at least a 5 year deal if not longer.  If I'm offering Landry Jones a contract is shouldn't be for anything but 3 or less. 

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

When they do though, the money is fairly consistent with no real % increase though. IE Josh Norman
16: $8,000,000
17: $20,000,000
18: $16,937,500
19: $14,500,000
20: $15,500,000

One of the first years is the big bonus pay out, and then it's fairly consistent. The last years aren't a 30 mil or whatever to artificially produce a higher average, once the bonus is paid out it's roughly 15mil.

Edit Von Miller is similar:
16: $11,500,000
17: $19,900,000
18: $22,400,000
19: $20,900,000
20: $21,400,000
21: $18,000,000

Scaling up doesn't really happen in long deals

That's why I'm suggesting a max of 5 years, so that the final year of the contract isn't just a base salary payout.  The 5th year of the contract would have the prorated bonus as well.

I do agree with you that, using the percentage increase of 40% the second year and 30% each year after does allow teams to heavily back load the deals.  Something in the lines of 40% the second year and say 15% each subsequent year after is probably more in line with the contract you posted.

The main factor in the formula for awarding players is the base salary though right?

Don't you have to divide the base pay by years to get APY then include bonuses to judge the contracts so that a 3 year competes with a 4 year or whatever? Like in the Leveon Bell situation where the Buccs won on APY, bonuses (both kinds), but offered 4 years instead of the Patriots 5 years. So the Patriots won, but I think the win was because the formula has total base pay as part of the formula, but not years factored in (APY).

33 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Even 5 years is way too long for most deals. I think maybe 4 or 5 guys will get 5 years deals. 

5 years for the Superstars

4 for the really good players

3 or less for everyone else.

If you track the deals of real free agency, you'll see a good chunk are shorter term deals

I know that not every player is getting a long term deal....Most of league was passing out 1 year prove it deals.

It's cool though, you're basically saying what I am...super stars are getting long term deals (5 year), average to good is typically 3 or less.

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

The main factor in the formula for awarding players is the base salary though right?

Don't you have to divide the base pay by years to get APY then include bonuses to judge the contracts so that a 3 year competes with a 4 year or whatever? Like in the Leveon Bell situation where the Buccs won on APY, bonuses (both kinds), but offered 4 years instead of the Patriots 5 years. So the Patriots won, but I think the win was because the formula has total base pay as part of the formula, but not years factored in (APY).

Long story short.  You'd think that it would need to divide the base pay by the years, but it doesn't.  The idea was that the player's preferred contract carried weight.  So offering anything less than that does hurt your odds.  We've mentioned this several times, that it's best to offer the number of years to the player that its asking for.

I haven't noticed it affecting to many of the contracts with the exception of a few.  

I will say that after this mock draft is over, that I'm going to be looking for help in sorting out this issue once and for all.

Long story short.  You'd think that it would need to divide the base pay by the years, but it doesn't.  The idea was that the player's preferred contract carried weight.  So offering anything less than that does hurt your odds.  We've mentioned this several times, that it's best to offer the number of years to the player that its asking for.

I haven't noticed it affecting to many of the contracts with the exception of a few.  

I will say that after this mock draft is over, that I'm going to be looking for help in sorting out this issue once and for all.

I agree, just it fits in the same conversation as changing the number of years requested by a player.
Maybe hitting 30/31 should be the goal of contract two. Like Solder is 29, what are the chances he lands a back loaded 5 year deal.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I agree, just it fits in the same conversation as changing the number of years requested by a player.
Maybe hitting 30/31 should be the goal of contract two. Like Solder is 29, what are the chances he lands a back loaded 5 year deal.

I'd give him a back loaded deal, wait that sounded all jacked up.

But I would give him 20 million at age 36 if I thought we could secure a left tackle this year irl...haha.

Archived