Thoughts on Vance's comments?

thebestever6

Joseph is hoping to land Cousins because that is all that standing between him and the unemployment line midseason.

I don't see him sticking around long. He's in over his head and the team is not as close as he would like to thing they are. Cutting Talib will be a big hit from a talent perspective, but he also brought a lot of attitude to that secondary (similar to Ward last season). And who else is going to be purged to afford Cousins price when he holds leverage?

Signing Cousins will have a ripple effect. Talib, Sanders for sure. Thomas and Wolfe I've read rumors on, but would doubt it. 

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I mean, what else was he supposed to say?  Regardless of his answer people would have thrown a fit.  Can you imagine how lit up this thread would’ve been if he said Denver was 2-3 years away from competing?

Coming from VJ, close prob = 3 years...that’s b4 we’re competitive again, gulp

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Joseph is hoping to land Cousins because that is all that standing between him and the unemployment line midseason.

I don't see him sticking around long. He's in over his head and the team is not as close as he would like to thing they are. Cutting Talib will be a big hit from a talent perspective, but he also brought a lot of attitude to that secondary (similar to Ward last season). And who else is going to be purged to afford Cousins price when he holds leverage?

Signing Cousins will have a ripple effect. Talib, Sanders for sure. Thomas and Wolfe I've read rumors on, but would doubt it. 

So after they get rid of those guys for Cousins does Vance renig on his comments?

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I mean, what else was he supposed to say?  Regardless of his answer people would have thrown a fit.  Can you imagine how lit up this thread would’ve been if he said Denver was 2-3 years away from competing?

Say nothing of significance say we're trying to field the best team possible. After going 5 and 11 don't mention us and championship team in the same sentence. 

18 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

He said Denver was very close to competing for a title. What are we to get out of that is it a ploy to get cousins? I'm not sure why he's hedging his bets it's better to be quiet and over achieve right?

Where did he say that? Do you have a link. I'm curious about the context.

Regardless, no one who's a part of this organization is ever going to publicly admit that a major rebuild that could take several seasons is needed. Since Mr. B has owned the team, the goal is a Super Bowl championship every year and seasons that don't end in that are regarded as the team not reaching its goal. It's why John Fox was fired. When the HC is reported to have said, "Isn't making the playoffs enough?" you're not going to last very long when John Elway is your boss. 

Furthermore, from a strategic perspective, it's smart for Vance to say this as if we project an aura of confidence potential free agents, Cousins included, may be more prone to signing here if they can be convinced we're not far away from contending. 

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Regardless, no one who's a part of this organization is ever going to publicly admit that a major rebuild that could take several seasons is needed. Since Mr. B has owned the team, the goal is a Super Bowl championship every year and seasons that don't end in that are regarded as the team not reaching its goal. It's why John Fox was fired. When the HC is reported to have said, "Isn't making the playoffs enough?" you're not going to last very long when John Elway is your boss. 

Furthermore, from a strategic perspective, it's smart for Vance to say this as if we project an aura of confidence potential free agents, Cousins included, may be more prone to signing here if they can be convinced we're not far away from contending. 

https://clutchpoints.com/broncos-news-vance-joseph-believes-denver-really-close/

The first point I think its best to say nothing but you may be on to something because he was then asked about Cousins who he said was under contract can't talk about him.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't see him sticking around long. He's in over his head and the team is not as close as he would like to thing they are.

Truth be told, I think landing Cousins actually increases the pressure on Vance as he doesn't have the excuse that we're weak at the most important position on the field. Draft one of these raw, roll-of-the-dice rookies and he has an out for a bad record that our supposed franchise QB is going through the expected growing pains. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Truth be told, I think landing Cousins actually increases the pressure on Vance as he doesn't have the excuse that we're weak at the most important position on the field. Draft one of these raw, roll-of-the-dice rookies and he has an out for a bad record that our supposed franchise QB is going through the expected growing pains. 

Totally agreed. I mean, at this point I'd be surprised if the Broncos aren't looking for a coach next season. Hopefully we can reload the talent and become a good destination. 

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree, but if you were Vance if you're going all in wouldn't you want the best hand possible?

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It could be an awkward situation to have the QBOTF (drafted or FA) if VJ isn't our long term answer at HC.

51 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

It could be an awkward situation to have the QBOTF (drafted or FA) if VJ isn't our long term answer at HC.

I think thats why Elway is keeping Musgrave I think elway looked at the landscape of the NFL and saw Musgrave as a top option to groom  a young qb.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, thebestever6 said:

I think thats why Elway is keeping Musgrave I think elway looked at the landscape of the NFL and saw Musgrave as a top option to groom  a young qb.

That's probably true, and I think the fact that we've been a turnstile for coaching lately meant Elway had to bite the bullet on the current staff and leave them in place if we ever want to retain top coaching talent going forward. You can't be recycling coaches every year, especially given our QB situation. Now, if Vance and Co. have another awful draft and awful season, he'll be out the door along with everyone but Bill Kollar.

Archived