1. 1. Biggest cause for Goffs improvement

• Experience>McVay>improved supporting cast
    • Experience>improved supporting cast>McVay
    • McVay>experience>improved supporting cast
    • McVay>improved supporting cast>experience
    • Improved supporting cast>experience>McVay
    • Improved supporting cast>McVay>experience

McVay. Supporting cast. Experience.

McVay. From what I have seen and heard, this wunderkind has a phenomenal football mind. He built a system from the ground up to play to Goff's strengths while shielding him from his weaknesses. He taught Goff how to be/think/read in ways to be a success on the field. And he tooled the offense to run through the run game, which helped tremendously in Goffs development by keeping defenses honest of Goff Goff off his ***. He is, without a doubt, the top reason for the fantastic rate of improvement.

Supporting cast. Whitworth was probably the most important addition to the offense. Moreso than any receiver. He anchored the line and gave MvVay the ability to do some shuffling around on the line to produce a decent overall unit. Whitworth made it possible to give Goff the time he needed to make plays.

The addition of Coop and Woods can't be ignored, though. While neither of them are Randy Moss, they catch everything you throw at them. Which was such a breath of fresh air after watching drive after drive stall the year before due to badly timed drops.

Those three additions gave Goff 2 of the 4 key ingredients he was missing his rookie year. 1. An offensive line he could trust to give him time. 2. Wrs that could catch. 

The other 2 being a running game and, of course, a good coach.

Experience. The potential was visible in his rookie season. He needed experience. He needed to catch up to the speed of the NFL game. He is still learning. And still has a way to go. He is still raw at times. However, he looks better and better every time he takes the field. Steady improvement. Thats the name of the game.

All that said, experience is not going to move your game forward as quickly as we saw Goff improve this year. He gained experience THROUGH the year. But the catalysts for the improvement were more about coaching and supporting cast, which led to the invaluable experience he needed.

I'd say McVay and his coaching staff are #1, the supporting cast is #2, and experience is #3. But it's hard to distinguish these things. All three of them worked together, along with Goff's natural ability and intangibles, to allow him to make the leap he did. Goff's stats over his final 8 regular season starts were as good as any other QB's. I hope to see him keep it up.

All i gotta say is Matt Ryan was a MVP in 2016 while Matt Lafleur was his QB coach and thats the best he has ever looked mechanics wise and throwing the long ball.  He goes to La and im sure was pretty hands on with Goff considering Mcvay runs most of the offense so i would say he helped him to improve tremendously.   Im sure both Mcvay and Shanahan's offenses helped alot as well but Lafleur seems to know how to work with QB's very well and to improve them alot.

I think you left out one other choice:

Experience plus McVay!!!

The talent was always there, after all, he went #1 overall in the draft, so all he really needed was more experience plus a HC/OC who knew how to get the best out of him. I do not think supporting cast played a large part in his coming of age, it was just a matter of time before his talent would bring him success!!!

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

All i gotta say is Matt Ryan was a MVP in 2016 while Matt Lafleur was his QB coach and thats the best he has ever looked mechanics wise and throwing the long ball.  He goes to La and im sure was pretty hands on with Goff considering Mcvay runs most of the offense so i would say he helped him to improve tremendously.   Im sure both Mcvay and Shanahan's offenses helped alot as well but Lafleur seems to know how to work with QB's very well and to improve them alot.

LaFleur is a good coach, but if you look at the ascents of Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff, there's one constant.

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

LaFleur is a good coach, but if you look at the ascents of Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff, there's one constant.

To be fair Matt Lafleur did coach Cousins as well early in his career as he was apart of that same coaching staff alogn with Mcvay for awhile lol  So his stamp is on that as well although he wasn't quite the Cousins we know now.  That is funny though that Lafleur has coached all 3 of the guys that were talking about as becoming good QB's.   It seems Lafleur, Shannahan, and Mcvay hover around each other alot and anywhere they go really good offenses follow most the time.

Hiring McVay. 

If you notice, the Redskins offense got worst drastically and the Rams offense got better tremendously and one thing was the same, McVay.

Now the weapons helped too plus underrated but Phillips changing the defense which allowed few points than in 2016 and forced more turnovers which gave Goff short field helped too. McVay though was the main reason. It helped Goff and really helped Gurley.

Archived