Double and Triple Draft dip?

mwalker

I know there are all kinds of draft strategies, but I wonder, and propose this question...

Would you prefer two safeties (one FS, one SS) and three LBs (2 inside, 1 OLB) to really solidify our weaknesses in this draft

(You could still spend two, late picks on WR and CB or OL)

vs

Trying to fill holes more broadly, with a pick each at FS, ILB, OLB, WR, CB, DT, and so on?

35 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I know there are all kinds of draft strategies, but I wonder, and propose this question...

Would you prefer two safeties (one FS, one SS) and three LBs (2 inside, 1 OLB) to really solidify our weaknesses in this draft

(You could still spend two, late picks on WR and CB or OL)

vs

Trying to fill holes more broadly, with a pick each at FS, ILB, OLB, WR, CB, DT, and so on?

The lazy answer is to say "it depends". If the talent is there then yeah. But you don't wanna go into the draft and say "I'm gonna draft 2 Safeties and 3 LBs no matter what". If you pigeon hole yourself like that you not only get sub par talent, you miss out on superior talent. You have to see how the draft falls to you or make aggressive moves up and/or down. With that said, if those 5 positions come up when they pick and the prospects at those positions are BPA or close to it, then most definitely pull the trigger. Bare in mind tho, that scenario is highly unlikely. 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

The lazy answer is to say "it depends". If the talent is there then yeah. But you don't wanna go into the draft and say "I'm gonna draft 2 Safeties and 3 LBs no matter what". If you pigeon hole yourself like that you not only get sub par talent, you miss out on superior talent. You have to see how the draft falls to you or make aggressive moves up and/or down. With that said, if those 5 positions come up when they pick and the prospects at those positions are BPA or close to it, then most definitely pull the trigger. Bare in mind tho, that scenario is highly unlikely. 

Agreed.   However, regardless if its the lazy answer...its the RIGHT answer.   

Yea, fair enough. And of course, you'd never pre-ordain something like that. But I'd love to see it, if the picks were there.

In many of the (often unrealistic, I know) mock simulations I've tried there are scenarios where the Steelers could come

away with a transformational haul at both positions.

Anyhow, fun to discuss. Good to see you two are still on the boards, as I've been away a while.

I think you have to remember that there will be some sort of free agency picks as well. The Steelers have surprised me the last few years with some unexpected picks and trades which they have traditionally not done. However, with the salary cap and other cap cuts/casualties, you may find a player that you like early or even late a la Joe Haden.

I think that Chieferific is 100% correct that you may have some positions targeted, but you should follow your draft board so that you can get the best value.  We have missed out on some very good players in past years when we needed a position and picked that position over talent (Jarvis Jones).  One that still stumps me is that we picked Troy Edwards over "Da Freak"Jevon Kearse.

To me if you don't see the value then look to trade the pick with someone looking to move up. The draft is very much about value as well.  The difficult part to me is when you pick below 20 consistently.  You do not get the opportunity to add premium quality over the years.  This is how Jacksonville was able to grab some very good defensive talent that helped them transform into a contender.  Cleveland on the other hand made some very poor choices in evaluating talent and up until last year, I think they made mistakes trying to reach for positions.  They may have missed their QB in 2017, but they didn't reach for one and added quality at the DL, Safety and TE positions in round one alone. 

Lastly, you usually can't look to do it all in one year.  If you have several holes or positions that you are looking to add depth, get younger, or even upgrade, you have to be smart about it. We have a tendency to get excited during the draft and Combine watching players run around in their underwear or lifting weights.  Stay true to your board, build your team through the draft, and re-tool a few positions with key free agent signings or trades. Most successful teams have done that consistently.  Evaluating talent is an art and not a science regardless of what most of us may think. There have been sure fire, can't miss prospects that are out of football like former Washington Redskins QB RGIII.  And then you have prospects like our own AB who made the team as a special teams player, but has emerged as the best WR in the game and has put up HOF type numbers.

For me it really does depend heavily on who is available. If you've got guys that you like enough to draft and do that absolutely you absolutely do that because linebacker and safety are our biggest issues there's no question about that however you don't draft the positions just to drop the positions either. End of the Steelers have always been value-based or at least tried to be and so even if there's a good linebacker on the board if they feel there's a better nose tackle wide receiver or maybe even a running back on the board that they could take advantage of then I think that's what they would do. So there is no definitive right answer here really we will at least double dip on at least one safety depending on how free agency turns out

Archived