2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Quarterback

swede700

I would like, at this stage, to expand the conversation currently in the Prospects thread to more specific positions, especially with the Combine occurring next week. 

The next positional group I'd like to discuss is the quarterback.  While no one the Vikings could potentially draft will be a starter for the team, it's quite possible that they draft someone who could potentially take over in a year or 2.  Right now, the only QB under contract for next year is Kyle Sloter (although Teddy could be as well depending upon the whole tolling thing) so they probably will need someone who can either be a backup or compete with Sloter for the 3rd QB job.

Based upon descriptions I've seen in various places, these are some of the names that I believe could be good fits for the team.

Lamar Jackson, Louisville - Immensely physically gifted, but really needs to probably RTP for 2-3 years before he sees the field, because he is so raw.  Some will be reminded of Fran Tarkenton when they watch him play.

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State - I'm personally not a fan of his, but I know others are.  I personally don't believe he has the physical skills to be successful at the NFL level, as he only has an average arm at best and isn't really athletic.

Kurt Benkert, Virginia - While probably not a future starter, has the physical skills to potentially be a good NFL QB.  

What are your thoughts on these guys?  Anyone else that you think would be a good fit for DeFilippo's offense?

I appreciate all the work you are putting into these prospect threads, disaacs. I’ve had a bad itch for more draft talk.

I’m honed in on the lines (both O and D) for rounds 1 and 2. No QB would excite me as much as a guy like Maurice Hurst, Taven Bryan, Isaiah Wynn, or Billy Price. However if Lamar Jackson falls to us in the first, he’d be very tempting. It goes without saying that his athletic ability is superb, but I’m perhaps just as excited about his character and throwing ability.

Of course he is not without faults. In particular his accuracy, while very good at times, can be inconsistent, and unfortunately that’s one skill that is usually not highly improved at this point... but it can happen (see Aaron Rodgers). I’d give him a “redshirt year” behind the QB we end end up resigning so he can focus on his accuracy consistency.

Baker is going to be great, regardless of apparent immaturity. And while he was seemingly a higher round prospect for a while, he’s now surely beyond our reach.

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Guessing how he views them. 

Agreed.  I didn't even personally look at anything on Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or Allen, since I expect them all to be gone before the Vikings would even have a chance (although in the back of my mind, I still sort of believe Mayfield will still be there, because 6-foot QBs don't go in the first round).  

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

is this how you view the prospects, or how you feel they will be drafted?

That is just who I would take, for this team. 

I'm guessing the actual order is Darnold/Rosen, Mayfield, then Jackson. Maybe through Allen in there too. 

Kyle Lauletta is worth a look for those of you who aren't familiar.

Very accurate, with great anticipation. An above average athlete as well who throws well on the run. Poise in the pocket isn't a negative but not overwhelmingly positive either and he still has some steps to take in the mental aspects of his game (which is really true of any QB protect).

Biggest issue for him is his arm. It's likely NFL caliber but is still something he'll have to make up for with good to great competence in other areas if he's ever to be more than a replacement level starter.

Comp is Alex Smith (maybe a poor man's Alex Smith if we're being honest). If the team chooses to bet on Teddy I think Lauletta in the ~4th would be a great selection.  Insurance policy who with some developmental upside, who in a best case scenario nets you a good return in a trade.

Archived