2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Quarterback

swede700

Yeah i agree, there's no way you can sign Kirk Cousins to a deal of that magnitude and then take a QB in round 1. BUT it would be a good position to be in if a team wants to trade up from the 2nd to get Lamar. We could get a nice haul in return potentially. 

If we sign Kirk, i still think taking a QB somewhere in the mid-late rounds would make some sense for depth purposes & a developmental guy. 

Be very curious what the Vikings do with their QB situation obviously.

Ideally these two would drop in the 1st round and we could get them as developmental prospects.  Doubt they would star but both have tons of potential, especially Josh Allen so would be great if he fell in the draft.

*Josh Allen Wyoming JR

*Lamar Jackson Louisville JR

These three would have best chance of starting but not sure any would be great players.  Would not mind Mayfield as the starter or Darnold to be honest but doubt they give up that much to get them.  Would be nice for the future because doubt Case or Teddy is a 5-10 year option at starting QB.  But better ideal situation would be if Allen or Jackson fell to late 1st round than spend a lot to go up and draft these guys.  Honestly though one could look down the road and if you want a young QB need to get one now because next year there looks to not be any real elite QB prospects unlike this year where you have 5-6 legit 1st rounders, sure there is no one clear cut #1 QB this year but all have a lot of ability and all could be a boom prospect but maybe could bust as well.

*Josh Rosen UCLA JR

*Sam Darnold USC RS SOPH

*Baker Mayfield Oklahoma RS

Could grab him for sure end of 1st round but more ideal would be end of the 2nd round, that would be a great option as well for a project backup.  

*Mason Rudolph Ok State

Then you have these guys, all who you could get late to super late in the draft.  Would be a nice developmental QB who you do not have to spend much on and if they do not turn out so what.  Ultimately not matter if they Vikings sign Teddy and Case, or Kirk and Teddy or just Kirk, regardless they need a young backup to develop if they want to go with a veteran guy as the starter.  All of these guys would be decent options, and all outside of Ferguson and Hill could potentially be a 7th round pick or even UDFA.  

*Riley Ferguson Memphis

*Kenny Hill TCU RS

*Chase Litton Marshall 

*Richard Lagow Indiana

*Matt Linehan Idaho

*Kurt Benkert Virginia

Not sure Kyle Sloter is a real option as a development QB for them.  Honestly I thought Taylor Heinicke had more potential and now he is on the Texans.   

I agree that signing cousins probably means there’s no chance at drafting Jackson, however man am I intrigued at his offensive skill set.. I’m not ready to entirely hitch my wagon to him as our starting quarterback especially since I think we’re built to win now and he’s a rookie but he kinda reminds me of kamara.. he doesn’t necessarily play one position he’s just a “weapon “ to be unleashed

Late round prospect that I'm interested in is Litton from Marshall. Watching his bowl game, he looks like he has a rocket for an arm, and likely would be available in round five if we wanted to take a flyer on a QB who has a lot of upside and a lot to learn.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Late round prospect that I'm interested in is Litton from Marshall. Watching his bowl game, he looks like he has a rocket for an arm, and likely would be available in round five if we wanted to take a flyer on a QB who has a lot of upside and a lot to learn.

Definitely a guy with all of the physical tools.

Lamar Jackson - 6022, 216, 9-1/2 hands

Baker Mayfield - 6005, 215, 9-1/4 hands

Mason Rudolph - 6045, 235, 9-1/8 hands

Josh Allen - 6047, 237, 10-1/8 hands

Sam Darnold - 6033, 221, 9-3/8 hands

Josh Rosen - 6040, 226, 9-7/8 hands

Archived