2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Quarterback

swede700

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Actually, no... really don’t have a better comp than that still. He basically still a slower Russell... kind of what everybody already knew.

He tested worse than Wilson across the board. He just isn't even close to RW athletically, so for me personally it just feels misleading to compare the two.  Even if they're statistically similar.

Fact is there really isn't much of a comparison for Mayfield, at least among successful NFL QBs. Which makes evaluating him a little tough I think.

None of this is to say I think he's a bust or whatever, just talking out load.

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No he’s not. He’s an electric player, but there are a lot of faults in his game. 

Marcus Mariota was a better version coming out of Oregon. 

I think I'm in the minority but I'll respectfully disagree.

From ohysical perspective, while its close, I think Lamar wins here. I believe he's both faster and less of a liner athlete.  His arm is also better by a fair margin.

Mentally I also think Jackson has an edge.  His offense demand more of him and he process information quicker. The kid can run through a full progression and makes good decisions with the ball far more than he doesn't.

With Mariota there was more projection here based on the offense he played in. He showed he had the traits for it, but Jackson is further ahead at the same point. Mariota is also a little conservative for my taste and doesn't have the same intuitive feel and anticipation for when routes will break open.

Finally Jackson is better under pressure imo

Mariota was in a better place mechanically, but I also think there's some hyperbole regarding Jackson on this front.

10 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

He tested worse than Wilson across the board. He just isn't even close to RW athletically, so for me personally it just feels misleading to compare the two.  Even if they're statistically similar.

Fact is there really isn't much of a comparison for Mayfield, at least among successful NFL QBs. Which makes evaluating him a little tough I think.

None of this is to say I think he's a bust or whatever, just talking out load.

It’s not the athletic testing I am comparing him to. It’s his play style, his release, and he has the ability to keep plays alive. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

It’s not the athletic testing I am comparing him to. It’s his play style, his release, and he has the ability to keep plays alive. 

I know, I get that. I said statistically they are similar, but if Mayfield doesn't have the same physical talent, how close of a player to Wilson can he really be, given the nature of that style?

31 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I know, I get that. I said statistically they are similar, but if Mayfield doesn't have the same physical talent, how close of a player to Wilson can he really be, given the nature of that style?

Because he isn’t as quick and fast? Wilson is a freak athlete. I knew that when comparing him to him long ago. Never expected Baker to even get close to that. Their play style is just similar in terms of release and making plays out of nothing. They are QB’s, both have rocket arms, accuracy is off the charts for both of them,  nice releases and release points. I’m not trying to compare who can win in a foot race, or run around the field. It’s just not something I look for in comps for QB’s 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Because he isn’t as quick and fast? Wilson is a freak athlete. I knew that when comparing him to him long ago. Never expected Baker to even get close to that. Their play style is just similar in terms of release and making plays out of nothing. They are QB’s, both have rocket arms, accuracy is off the charts for both of them,  nice releases and release points. I’m not trying to compare who can win in a foot race, or run around the field. It’s just not something I look for in comps for QB’s 

I just think it makes a difference in projecting Baker, due to the athletic demands of the style. Comparing him to Wilson is misleading in that regard imo

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I just think it makes a difference in projecting Baker, due to the athletic demands of the style. Comparing him to Wilson is misleading in that regard imo

Fair enough. 100% understand what you mean by that.  And like I said, I know it’s not the athletic part where he is matching Wilson. It really is everything else. Baker has more than enough to be an athlete at the QB position.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, gopherwrestler said:

I just think that team is far better than what they showed last year. 2-3 years they probably won’t. But I think they want to make a run. Give Eli everything he can possibly have, and try and make this thing go. Shurmur will help Eli out, I just think anything great they can get offensively will be huge. Barkley on that team is probably a top 10 RB on that team even with a weak offensive line.

They're better, but not far better.  I think the 11-5 record in 2016 is more of the aberration than the 3-13, because that's a team whose talent has been eroding for years.  Talent-wise, they are 6-7 win team.  Giving Eli an offensive lineman isn't going to change that.  

Archived