2018 Franchise Tag - Placed on Joyner

StLunatic88

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I want NRC on a long-term deal.

I'd rather have Allen Robinson. Getting Sammy back would be great, but he's replaceable.

Yeah, I can agree that he's replaceable, but I would much rather have Watkins. He has a year I the system and did all of the little things right. If he and Goff connected on a few more of those deep balls last year, people would be looking at him much differently. I think they connect on those plays this year.

I love Allen Robinson (huge PSU fan), but barring injury, Watkins is a much better WR.

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Guys, it ended up being Pick #55, not 35 like it would have been last year.

Sure it would be nice to have to use this year if Sammy isnt part of the long term of this team. But if all it cost was a pick outside the Top 50 to ensure the massive jump of our Franchise QB, Im completely fine with it.

We have completely wasted FAR more valuable draft assets than that with absolutely no return on them

This has been my point all along.  Considering the sunk-cost on Goff, one more Top 50 pick to ensure that Goff "made it" and was able to confirm himself as a franchise QB - thus eliminating the biggest positional need in the NFL (and for a team re-planting its flag in a massive market) for the next (probably) decade and a half - it was well worth it.  And it's a cost that I'm sure, if pressed, (and were it that simple) any team trading up to acquire the guy they think is a franchise QB would do in a heartbeat if it meant he'd "pan out."

As to NRC, I wouldn't be surprised if what we see with him , if it happens, is a synthetic 3-year deal, i.e. a 5-year deal that has some sort of out after year 3.

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Yeah, I can agree that he's replaceable, but I would much rather have Watkins. He has a year I the system and did all of the little things right. If he and Goff connected on a few more of those deep balls last year, people would be looking at him much differently. I think they connect on those plays this year.

I love Allen Robinson (huge PSU fan), but barring injury, Watkins is a much better WR.

Disagree. Robinson is the better WR. Sammy is still just potential.

I will say, one of the perks to having both the offensive system, the HC, and the QB we do, is that if we wanted to we could rotate a new WR1/2 through on an annual basis if we became the locale for rehabbing guys who got injured in contract years.  We have the RB and the other WR's that aren't going to require said guy to carry the lion's share... and if there hits a point where Goff clicks with said player better than he does with Woods (we'd see it on the field if it happened, and it'd be pretty clear), you move on from Woods (or restructure him if he wants to stay) and work out the long-term deal with that guy.

I forget who it was, but there was a team that managed to pull off this strategy really effectively within the past 5-7 years, I just can't remember who offhand.

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I will say, one of the perks to having both the offensive system, the HC, and the QB we do, is that if we wanted to we could rotate a new WR1/2 through on an annual basis if we became the locale for rehabbing guys who got injured in contract years.  We have the RB and the other WR's that aren't going to require said guy to carry the lion's share... and if there hits a point where Goff clicks with said player better than he does with Woods (we'd see it on the field if it happened, and it'd be pretty clear), you move on from Woods (or restructure him if he wants to stay) and work out the long-term deal with that guy.

I forget who it was, but there was a team that managed to pull off this strategy really effectively within the past 5-7 years, I just can't remember who offhand.

The Patriots? 

I think someone who can stretch the field ala Watkins can be achieved cheaper through Paul Richardson. Granted it's more of a risk since he is still unproven, but Watkins is still just potential at this point. I'd vote for Richardson knowing Reynolds could fill in as well.

3 hours ago, LARams91 said:

I think someone who can stretch the field ala Watkins can be achieved cheaper through Paul Richardson. Granted it's more of a risk since he is still unproven, but Watkins is still just potential at this point. I'd vote for Richardson knowing Reynolds could fill in as well.

Richardson is garbage, please no. I feel confident we'll still sign Watkins

3 hours ago, LARams91 said:

Richardson is an option whom I really like. There are others including:

WR Allen Robinson

WR John Brown

WR Mike Wallace

WR Terrelle Pryor (imo, no)

WR Marqise Lee

WR Jeff Janis or Brice Butler (if we are confident in Josh Reynolds)

WR Antonio Callaway (Draft)

WR Quincy Enunwa (RFA)

WR Tyrell Williams (RFA)

WR Equanimeous St. Brown (Draft)

WR Deon Cain (Draft)

WR Keke Coutee (Draft)

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling (Draft)

WR Jordan Lasley (Draft)

WR Darren Carrington (Draft)

2 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Going to suck watching the Niners land him. They have deeper pockets right now.

It is what it is. We can't pay Sammy for what he might be. We should pay him for what he is. If another team wants to take that risk, more power to them. He's a talented kid, but Woods, Kupp, and Gurley all had more receiving yards than he did in 2017. We can plug a cheaper deep threat in and do just fine.

3 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Richardson is garbage, please no. I feel confident we'll still sign Watkins

Richardson isn't garbage. The injuries concern me, but he has a lot of speed and has shown the ability to make circus catches.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Richardson is an option whom I really like. There are others including:

WR Allen Robinson

WR John Brown

WR Mike Wallace

WR Terrelle Pryor (imo, no)

WR Marqise Lee

WR Jeff Janis or Brice Butler (if we are confident in Josh Reynolds)

WR Antonio Callaway (Draft)

WR Quincy Enunwa (RFA)

WR Tyrell Williams (RFA)

WR Equanimeous St. Brown (Draft)

WR Deon Cain (Draft)

WR Keke Coutee (Draft)

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling (Draft)

WR Jordan Lasley (Draft)

WR Darren Carrington (Draft)

It is what it is. We can't pay Sammy for what he might be. We should pay him for what he is. If another team wants to take that risk, more power to them. He's a talented kid, but Woods, Kupp, and Gurley all had more receiving yards than he did in 2017. We can plug a cheaper deep threat in and do just fine.

I was talking about Robinson.  Niners will be after him.

7 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

The Patriots? 

Maybe, but for some reason I feel like it was someone other than them - or at least someone less obvious than them.  I almost want to say it was either Baltimore (just not with WR's) or the Niners during the Harbaugh years.

Archived