2018 Franchise Tag - Placed on Joyner

StLunatic88

37 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You don't even have to have a burner for the guy to be a deep-threat in this offense.  Someone like Marquez Valdes-Scantling out of South Florida in this draft isn't going to go until Day 3 because he probably isn't going to break 4.5 with his 40, but if you watch the tape, he's a consistent deep-threat with good size (high-6'3"/low-6'4"; 205 lbs.) who would have had more than the 6 TD's he posted this past season if his QB had better deep accuracy.  If you want someone maybe a bit more refined and ready to go, J'Mon Moore has a fair shot to make it to the 5th round.  But we spent a pick on Reynolds, presumably with this role in mind for him before we acquired Sammy, so why not give him a crack at the spot before rushing to replace him.

I'm not McVay, so I haven't seen Reynolds in practice, but I'd also give him a shot if Sammy walks. I loved Reynolds' film. I also think Mike Thomas could surprise. I'm not sold that we're SOL without Sammy. But if McVay thinks we are, we have options in FA and the Draft.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We traded our 4th. And no thank you on Bryant. There's a line for me on character. Bryant crosses it. If we don't feel that Reynolds or Thomas could handle the deep threat role, we could go after Paul Richardson or John "Smoke" Brown in FA imo.

Ahh I forgot about trading our 4th. Peters trade is still so new to me. Regarding Bryant's character concerns, I may not be up to date completely, but it is because he asked to be traded violating substance abuse policy twice? JuJu  proved to be a great #2 options vs. just a deep threat; that's just how the NFL works. But Bryant was beginning to come into his own progression-wise and felt he was more than deep threat i.e. wanted more touches/run more routes. He pretty much said 'Hey, great for JuJu, but I want more and if you can't  give it to me then trade me'. He did skip a mandatory team meeting that following Monday after venting his frustration about lack of playing time, but that's really nothing to me. Joyner pulled the something similar on Hard Knocks(minus skipping meeting) and we love him.

Pitt confirmed they are not trading Bryant so it's a mute point, but shows they value him still. With AB, JuJu, and Bryant they should have the best WR core in the league.

15 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I hope they tag Sammy just because it would be easier to lock down Joyner long term than Sammy. If Sammy tests the market, he's as good as gone.

I dont know why you think it would be easier to get Joyner back on the marker. He is a guy who has ACTUALLY shown that he is an Top Level performer at his position while Sammy has not. Joyner is widely known as one as the most coveted free agents, and he has made it know his entire career that he is betting on himself and plans on cashing in.

There are many more DB needy teams than WR needy teams (alot of teams went big for WRs last year)

28 minutes ago, G08 said:

Can I ask where you heard this? I don't trust LaCanfora

He's normally unreliable but seems to be locked in on Rams news. Where you should doubt him most of the time if it's Rams news he seems to have a good source.

39 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

He's normally unreliable but seems to be locked in on Rams news. Where you should doubt him most of the time if it's Rams news he seems to have a good source.

Just looking at your roster, you've got Kupp, Gurley and Woods soaking up targets and some studs on defense that are about to get paid. Not sure how they can afford ~$16 million for one year of Watkins.

25 minutes ago, G08 said:

Just looking at your roster, you've got Kupp, Gurley and Woods soaking up targets and some studs on defense that are about to get paid. Not sure how they can afford ~$16 million for one year of Watkins.

They easily can, especially since they traded away Quinn, and it doesnt look like they will be paying Tru. The only guys we have left that seems like we are paying would be Joyner, Sullivan, NRC and maybe Watkins.

57 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Wonder what this is about

I saw that and thought it was bizarre... maybe he was told he's hitting FA, maybe he was told they're going to tag him?

Was he healthy for you guys or was his foot still nagging him throughout the season?

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I saw that and thought it was bizarre... maybe he was told he's hitting FA, maybe he was told they're going to tag him?

Was he healthy for you guys or was his foot still nagging him throughout the season?

He was healthy all year, only problem was we traded for him so late he had very little time to acclimate to Goff and the offense.

Archived