2018 Franchise Tag - Placed on Joyner

StLunatic88

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Good.

Alright. Now I feel a lot better about our offseason. Joyner was the one guy that we couldnt lose. 

And now we can get on with the rest of it. Get me NRC and Sullivan on short deals to shore up those spots and the best see what it would really take to get Watkins back, and only sign him to a reasonable deal

Mad we couldn't work out a deal for Joyner long term even though I can agree he is more valuable than Sammy. Say GoodBye to Watkins now and our 2nd round pick was traded for nothing. We won't be able to match anything the 9ers, ravens, or Bears will be willing to offer. Come on Les. Prove me wrong

On 3/1/2018 at 3:43 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Ahh I forgot about trading our 4th. Peters trade is still so new to me. Regarding Bryant's character concerns, I may not be up to date completely, but it is because he asked to be traded violating substance abuse policy twice? JuJu  proved to be a great #2 options vs. just a deep threat; that's just how the NFL works. But Bryant was beginning to come into his own progression-wise and felt he was more than deep threat i.e. wanted more touches/run more routes. He pretty much said 'Hey, great for JuJu, but I want more and if you can't  give it to me then trade me'. He did skip a mandatory team meeting that following Monday after venting his frustration about lack of playing time, but that's really nothing to me. Joyner pulled the something similar on Hard Knocks(minus skipping meeting) and we love him.

Pitt confirmed they are not trading Bryant so it's a mute point, but shows they value him still. With AB, JuJu, and Bryant they should have the best WR core in the league.

Just a small tidbit here, only because it's a pet peeve of mine... it's "moot" point.  Mute is what you do to your TV when your wife is talking in the other room and thinks you can hear her even though she's only using a normal ton of voice.

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mad we couldn't work out a deal for Joyner long term even though I can agree he is more valuable than Sammy. Say GoodBye to Watkins now and our 2nd round pick was traded for nothing. We won't be able to match anything the 9ers, ravens, or Bears will be willing to offer. Come on Les. Prove me wrong

We've been through this.  No, it wasn't; that's pretty narrowminded.  Sammy was insurance to help ensure the development of Goff - which was achieved.  If he doesn't re-sign because we get outpriced in the market by the Niners or Bears (we can match whatever the Ravens put on the table, their cap is pretty limited and lacking much in the way of flexibility), there's a better than decent chance of Watkins returning a 3rd round comp pick next year.  Both of those would be a ROI, i.e. far from "nothing."

I know we don't NEED Watkins, but I would feel a lot better about our offense if we get him back. Continuity is everything, and I think a Goff/Watkins connection could be deadly for a long time.

Would also like to see us look into Allen Robinson if Watkins leaves, but I feel like their prices will probably be around the same. Definitely preferred to tag Joyner, but man I want Sammy back.

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Why be mad? How many free agents have been signed to a long term deal before hitting free agency this year? I’ll give you a hint it’s only two or three and one is a kicker! Players want free agency, the smart ones will hit it on their second deal because it maximizes what is usually the players last or only big contract. Getting mad because the player is smart makes no sense we’ve also this wasting a second round pick is just silly and we’ve gone over it multiple times. This doesn’t mean we lost him, Snead has been great for the last couple off seasons

Snead and McVay didn’t trade a 2nd round pick for Watkins if they wasn’t thinking long term. They are going to work hard to keep him and the only way he doesn’t return is if he doesn’t want to. Of course other teams are going to throw tons of cash but the Rams were wanting to keep Watkins before freeing up 11.5m by trading Quinn. The Rams are going to make a fair offer to Watkins to put the ball in his court. Does he want to go to a rebuilding team like the Browns, Jets, Niners, or Bears who will throw more cash? Or do he want to still get paid and stay with a contender with the best offensive minds in the league? 

We already established Tru is the odd man out. I can’t imagine the Rams not bringing back both Tru and Watkins. Joyner was tagged which made sense. Now it’s about getting Watkins deal done and seeing Tru walk because he don’t fit Wade scheme just like Quinn didn’t. Tru was replaced by Peters and Quinn will be replaced a natural 3-4 EDGE in the draft.

24 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Just a small tidbit here, only because it's a pet peeve of mine... it's "moot" point.  Mute is what you do to your TV when your wife is talking in the other room and thinks you can hear her even though she's only using a normal ton of voice.

THANK YOU!

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

We've been through this.  No, it wasn't; that's pretty narrowminded.  Sammy was insurance to help ensure the development of Goff - which was achieved.  If he doesn't re-sign because we get outpriced in the market by the Niners or Bears (we can match whatever the Ravens put on the table, their cap is pretty limited and lacking much in the way of flexibility), there's a better than decent chance of Watkins returning a 3rd round comp pick next year.  Both of those would be a ROI, i.e. far from "nothing."

And exactly. I'm hoping the Bears back up the freaking Brinks truck for Watkins, which means that ya'll likely will get a 3rd round comp pick next year.

Guys, it ended up being Pick #55, not 35 like it would have been last year.

Sure it would be nice to have to use this year if Sammy isnt part of the long term of this team. But if all it cost was a pick outside the Top 50 to ensure the massive jump of our Franchise QB, Im completely fine with it.

We have completely wasted FAR more valuable draft assets than that with absolutely no return on them

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Alright. Now I feel a lot better about our offseason. Joyner was the one guy that we couldnt lose. 

And now we can get on with the rest of it. Get me NRC and Sullivan on short deals to shore up those spots and the best see what it would really take to get Watkins back, and only sign him to a reasonable deal

I want NRC on a long-term deal.

24 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I know we don't NEED Watkins, but I would feel a lot better about our offense if we get him back. Continuity is everything, and I think a Goff/Watkins connection could be deadly for a long time.

Would also like to see us look into Allen Robinson if Watkins leaves, but I feel like their prices will probably be around the same. Definitely preferred to tag Joyner, but man I want Sammy back.

I'd rather have Allen Robinson. Getting Sammy back would be great, but he's replaceable.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I guess it depends what you consider "long term". I had advocated a 3 year deal for him as our Slot CB, in todays NFL is that long enough?

I'd want something longer. He just turned 26.

Archived