2018 Franchise Tag - Placed on Joyner

StLunatic88

PLEASE let this be the way Snead & Co are thinking!

I have been saying this for months, Sammy doesnt deserve Tag money, he isnt something that we cant live without, and he hasnt shown to be a top performer at his position on any sort of consistent basis.

On the other hand, Joyner has been all of those things, and with possibly moving on from Tru we can not lose LaMarcus.

Ya'll want nothing to do with Sammy Watkins? Or you just don't want to tag him?

Reading the tea-leaves, what are the odds you think that the Rams do in fact tag Watkins? I'd have to think if he hits FA the Bears (and other teams) will be gunning for him.

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Why tagging Joyner instead of extend him ? i would tag Watkins instead, it's less risky that way. 

Obviously signing a long term deal is the more desired outcome, but Free Agency opens in 2 weeks. And it seems more an more likely that those agreements wont be in place prior to that. We need to make sure we retain the rights to one of them, and I think that it is more important to hang onto Joyner.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Sign Joyner long term and tag Sammy. If we can't sign Joyner long term then tag him. Trade a 4th for Martavious Bryant to replace Watkins.

We traded our 4th. And no thank you on Bryant. There's a line for me on character. Bryant crosses it. If we don't feel that Reynolds or Thomas could handle the deep threat role, we could go after Paul Richardson or John "Smoke" Brown in FA imo.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We traded our 4th. And no thank you on Bryant. There's a line for me on character. Bryant crosses it. If we don't feel that Reynolds or Thomas could handle the deep threat role, we could go after Paul Richardson or John "Smoke" Brown in FA imo.

You don't even have to have a burner for the guy to be a deep-threat in this offense.  Someone like Marquez Valdes-Scantling out of South Florida in this draft isn't going to go until Day 3 because he probably isn't going to break 4.5 with his 40, but if you watch the tape, he's a consistent deep-threat with good size (high-6'3"/low-6'4"; 205 lbs.) who would have had more than the 6 TD's he posted this past season if his QB had better deep accuracy.  If you want someone maybe a bit more refined and ready to go, J'Mon Moore has a fair shot to make it to the 5th round.  But we spent a pick on Reynolds, presumably with this role in mind for him before we acquired Sammy, so why not give him a crack at the spot before rushing to replace him.

Archived