Marcus Peters traded to Rams

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, OleXmad said:
23 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Are Chiefs in semi-rebuild mode?

they certainly aren't in win now mode,so maybe they are gathering draft stock until a few years when Mahomes is ready to compete for a title

The Chiefs aren't at all in rebuild mode, they have a great roster (When Healthy anyway) whatever compensation they get for Peters won't help them make up for the fact they just gave up their best defender for picks that probably won't result in nearly what he brought to the team (off the field stuff aside)

then I guess they ***ed up

32 minutes ago, MathMan said:

they certainly aren't in win now mode,so maybe they are gathering draft stock until a few years when Mahomes is ready to compete for a title

A rebuild would be a stretch, but I made a lengthy post in the KC forum about what I think the reasoning is behind this trade, and basically, I think that the front office has accepted that we probably won't be terribly competitive next year. I don't think they're going so far as a rebuild, as it appears we'll still retain all of our second contract players in their late 20s to early 30s (Houston, Schwartz, Berry, Kelce, etc.) and we have enough talented guys still on rookie contracts that we won't be a bad team. But I think when they opted to commit to Mahomes, they knew next year wasn't likely to be one where we'd contend for a superbowl or anything, so they decided to rip the bandaid off with a few moves that will hurt us, but be necessary sooner or later anyway (cutting DJ, trading Smith, cutting Hali, etc.) I think the team had already decided not to extend Peters in 1-2 years for the cost he'll carry, so they opted to move now.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

A rebuild would be a stretch, but I made a lengthy post in the KC forum about what I think the reasoning is behind this trade, and basically, I think that the front office has accepted that we probably won't be terribly competitive next year. I don't think they're going so far as a rebuild, as it appears we'll still retain all of our second contract players in their late 20s to early 30s (Houston, Schwartz, Berry, Kelce, etc.) and we have enough talented guys still on rookie contracts that we won't be a bad team. But I think when they opted to commit to Mahomes, they knew next year wasn't likely to be one where we'd contend for a superbowl or anything, so they decided to rip the bandaid off with a few moves that will hurt us, but be necessary sooner or later anyway (cutting DJ, trading Smith, cutting Hali, etc.) I think the team had already decided not to extend Peters in 1-2 years for the cost he'll carry, so they opted to move now.

good stuff. Would be a win-win if this was KC mindset

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, the rumored compensation would be pretty close to that. 4 + 7 + conditional 2019 third. I wouldn't be surprised if there were an additional piece along with this package (maybe a flip of picks somewhere), but I wouldn't be at all shocked if the 4/7 future 3rd is accurate. 

We don't have a 7th. But a conditional pick in 2019 makes sense.

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:

do you see Andy Reid as the LT coach?

Absolutely. They've really showed no sign of any desire to move on, and he made it through the GM transition, so I wouldn't expect him to leave unless there's no progress or regression under him and Veach. The only coach I see as being on the hot seat right now is Sutton. I think they spend the offseason investing most of our resources (cap space and draft picks) in the defense, and if it still looks as bad as last year, they'll move on there. Otherwise I think the current regime is safe.

4 hours ago, MathMan said:

I thought you rebuild around your young talented players and didn't trade them away to los angeles for what seems so far like nothing of real value. 

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I thought you rebuild around your young talented players and didn't trade them away to los angeles for what seems so far like nothing of real value. 

They don’t want to deal with his attitude long term. They’re taking a chance they Fuller can be good for them and not act like a child. 

Sure he’s not as talented as Peters, but Fuller is a good young corner too and they got a 3rd from the Redskins in the Alex Smith trade. If the Chiefs get a 2nd or 3rd for Peters then that’s two extra draft picks this offseason and they presumably have his replacement in Fuller.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Still no word on the compensation?

Pretty sure King's speculation of it being a 3rd round pick this year and a 2nd round pick next year is going to turn out to be accurate.  Seems like one of those non-report reports.  Just like the speculation of Peters getting traded was "just speculation."

Fitting for an elite player who had coachability and personality concerns who asked to be traded. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If Peters only nets a 2nd, you would think Bryant only is like a 4th right?

If that. Peters is an elite talent, Bryant is talented but not even close to elite. It seems easier to scheme WRs to be successful as well, much more so than CBS. 

That being said if Chicago went in on a 4th for him, I wouldn't bat an eye as we need WR help desperately. But the gap between the two is more than a 2 round gap IMO. 

Archived