Marcus Peters traded to Rams

WizardHawk

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can tell yourself that, but it's not true. KC has a lot of talent on offense, but Peters was a rare CB who created turnovers. How many games you venture Peters turned from the CB spot? 

We still have talent on defense, too. Peters is a top 10, maybe fringe top 5 at his best, CB in the NFL. We have a top 5 S, edge rusher, RB, and TE still on this roster. I would not take Peters over Berry or Houston in this defense. Or Chris Jones, actually, given his progress.

As for how many games he turned, depends on the time you're talking. Last year, probably one. Most of his impact plays came in losses or games we would have won without. 3 of his INTs came against the Chargers in games we had well in hand. One against Pittsburgh, which we lost anyway. The Denver game, he was definitely a difference maker though, between the INT and the fumble returned for a touchdown. Took Charles out of the game with that play. But he wasn't overwhelmingly shut down at any point in the season. Maybe the games after the suspension, but we're talking two blowouts against the Chargers and Dolphins there.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Berry is great, when he's playing. Best player in 2017....Peters. We don't know what Berry will be coming back

Again, no. Peters was maybe our 6th or 7th best player last year. Smith, Kelce, Hunt, Hill, Jones, and Houston all had a greater impact. Berry certainly would've if healthy. You've overrating the guy's importance to the team because a rival just traded him away. If you don't want to believe me, PFF had 6 Chiefs in their top 101 players last year, and none were Peters. He's a very good CB, and there's probably a few teams where he would be their best player, but he absolutely wasn't for us.

So Kareem Hunt is a top 5 RB even though he wasn't even the best rookie RB?  Interesting. 

And is Justin Houston still considered a top 5 pass rusher? This isn't 2014 anymore. 

While Marcus Peters maybe wasn't KCs best player per se, I'd argue he was theier most tradeable asset KC had on that team. Eric Berry is great, but he is a 30+ year old oft injured S with serious health issues. Kelce is a great player but is also a loudmouth and has a concussion history. 

KC is just too conservative and boring of a organization. They panicked because Peters was an outspoken emotional guy and got rid of him.  They will regret this, especially after watching Amerson get toasted 

Sorry but my problem with the trade is the fact Andy Reid wanted no part of him. A HC who had no problem signing Vick out of prison knowing the Smitt  storm about to occur and TO out of SF with Garcia.

A HC who knows the importance of having a Great Secondary and CB's in order to succeed on Defense. You let possibly the best in the NFL on the cheap go?? I don't want to hear anything about contracts 2-3 years from now, not being able to resign him, especially when said player can be Franchised.

There has to be more to this situation then what is being leak/reported IMO. Locker Room Cancer? Confrontation with Coaches? Players? Something? Because it literally makes no sense coming from Andy Reid. Bill Belicheck? Sure! AR, not so much.

Especially for the crap compensation they're getting coming back.

Much of the lack of interest in Peters from other franchises may well be linked to the perceived depth of this year’s cornerback class in the draft. 

Front offices are possibly overvaluing draft prospects again- they feel that they can get the next elite quarterback in Arlington at the end of April and not have the personality issues which Peters brings to the table. 

I suspect that Peters is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder, having been overlooked by so many teams. 

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

So Kareem Hunt is a top 5 RB even though he wasn't even the best rookie RB?  Interesting. 

And is Justin Houston still considered a top 5 pass rusher? This isn't 2014 anymore. 

While Marcus Peters maybe wasn't KCs best player per se, I'd argue he was theier most tradeable asset KC had on that team. Eric Berry is great, but he is a 30+ year old oft injured S with serious health issues. Kelce is a great player but is also a loudmouth and has a concussion history. 

KC is just too conservative and boring of a organization. They panicked because Peters was an outspoken emotional guy and got rid of him.  They will regret this, especially after watching Amerson get toasted 

Yes, Kareem Hunt was obviously a top 5 RB last year. He led the league in rushing and was 3rd in YFS. There being another spectacular rookie does not diminish that.

Houston probably isn't a top 5 pass rusher, but a top 5 edge, yes, he's at least very close. He's one of the best run defenders on the edge in the NFL, and spent a lot of time in coverage to mask some injuries and aging declines we had last year. He's still a spectacular player. And his production as a pass rusher still wasn't far off of Mack or Miller last year anyway. Maybe top 10 is more fair, but that puts him in line with Peters at a more important position. Though older, admittedly.

Peters clearly wasn't our most tradeable asset given the compensation that we got back for him. It isn't you that deems who is the most tradeable asset, it's the rest of the league, and nobody wanted him. I'm not a huge fan of trading him, I have no problem with people saying it was a mistake, but you can't say he was an incredibly tradeable asset and then say, wow, why didn't they get more for him? They shopped him for 3 weeks. Almost nobody was interested. It isn't like they turned down a bunch of better offers because they're morons.

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If you look at stats Kareem hunt was Robbed and was the best rookie of the year.  Personally I did not like Marcus Peters, and I think he had a bad year. The crazy thing is his bad year is better than the average CB.

The AFC West QBs are sort of happy to see Peters gone because they struggled when throwing his way. Too bad the AFC West QBs has to see him again this upcoming season as the division plays the NFC West division.

The reason why the compensation was so low is because the Chiefs made it that way. They didn’t want Peters anymore and everyone knew it. That destroys any good compensation. Peters is a strong personality and not a cancer. Did he ruin the Chiefs locker room? No. Again the owner didn’t like his antics with the National Anthem protest and neither did the KC fans/community. Him arguing with coaches, it happens to a lot of players. Throwing of the flag was bad but not as bad as domestic violence (Hill) or trying to deliberately hurt someone (Gronk did to White) but I don’t see them on the trade block. The Chiefs trying to free up cap space didn’t want to give Peters a long term deal in a few years when the likes of Berry will either be 33yrs old near retirement or already gone and now Peters will be the vet/leader and best player on the defense for younger players to look up too and follow. So the Chiefs just decided to move on now instead of later. Plus as someone mentioned, this draft class is deep at defensive back so the Chiefs feel like they could find a potential good young player. 

22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Berry is great, when he's playing. Best player in 2017....Peters. We don't know what Berry will be coming back

Best defensive player in 2017 was Chris Jones. Peters was very inconsistent and had some mediocre games. Against the Raiders, he was not even that good. His play was a prime reason they lost. 

Bottom line, this was an ownership decision, choosing to take a hit now for a stronger financial position in two years. There is also a team-is-family element to this. Hunt is very much a believer in unity.

J

Archived