Rams expected to make trade for Marcus Peters

RamRod

Do you all think Trumaine Johnson is washed? Supposedly, we (Browns) are seriously looking into him, but from a distance I was impressed with his film available on youtube of this season. He's seems like he lost a step seriously in the last few years.

Am I missing something? Is he still good?

41 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Do you all think Trumaine Johnson is washed? Supposedly, we (Browns) are seriously looking into him, but from a distance I was impressed with his film available on youtube of this season. He's seems like he lost a step seriously in the last few years.

He's good - but for the money he's commanding he's more scheme-limited* than you'd probably prefer - particularly if your team doesn't run that scheme.

* I don't mean he's going to suck it up in an out-and-out man-coverage scheme, but he's not likely to perform in it up to the level that you'd expect from the AAV he's going to get.  He's also the type that needs deep safety help because while he can typically handle guys in-phase in the short and intermediate, he doesn't always show the long speed to consistently carry speed-demons who get a step on him.

Speaking specifically to the Browns, Gregg's system was a mixed bag for him.  Ideally Tru is best fit for a zone-heavy scheme, particularly the Cover-3 shells that have become popular around the league.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

27yrs old last season he only had 2 tds scored on him all season. Fitz in Arizona and Julio in LA in the playoffs. 3yrs ago he had 7ints which was like top 5 in the NFL and was 2nd to only Norman In fewest QB rating when thrown against him. So between the last 3yrs two of which was very good and one was blah. I think he is a top 10 CB but the money he will demand seems like top 3 CB money so if you look at the money you will think overpaid but Tru is very good as a player.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Great zone CB. Only a good M2M CB. We don't want to pay him like a top 5-10 CB to be only good in our scheme.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd love to get my hands on one of Aqib Talib, Malcolm Butler, or Bashaud Breeland.

If we could add Talib, bring back NRC and make sure to Tag Joyner. Wow wow wow that would be a damn good secondary. I wouldn’t even worry about our LBs as long as we snag a NT too. 

Love the trade. I dont post much on here these days; but had to for Marcus. Hung out with him a few times growing up and know a couple of his cousins really well. Not a bad guy at all; is a bit of a hothead but most of us are where we grew up, just an animated person at the end of the day. With Wade Phillips our DC, think he will mesh perfect into Wade’s culture. I think his character issues are way overblown; and with 2 years of team control left at a cheap contract, hell of a steal.

Gonna be a lot more Rams jerseys around Oakland #Yeeee

1 hour ago, chris00cm said:

How is there nothing on the compensation yet? The anticipation is killing me.

Two thoughts on this, the first being more likely than the second:

1) Snead doesn't want to give away anything about his free agent priority list.  At this point all that acquiring Peters gives away of what kind of hand he's holding is that Tru is almost surely being let to walk.  If, for instance, the rumor is wrong and our 1st was involved in the deal it could/would frame to a lot of other teams that we're confident/planning on satisfying any pressing needs we have via FA because, barring trading up using future picks, we likely wouldn't be drafting until near the midpoint of Day 2.

2) They have a package that both sides have found amenable, but Snead knows that they have interest in Quinn, just not at the valuation we have on him, so they're holding off on formally announcing the compensation until after KC has had a chance to see if they can acquire something they're willing to part with that would split the difference on valuation.  It's not bloody likely, but it's possible.

Another not likely but possible scenario is that the Chiefs put out a request that the terms not be disclosed because they felt they were selling low - the only way I see this being possible though is if the call to trade Peters (following his rumored request following the playoff exit) came from Lamar Hunt and management is trying to save face with the crowd through season-ticket renewal period and hoping to have another piece of good news to makeweight the dissatisfaction from the fans at the return on Peters.

Just now, JonStark said:

So what's going around on twitter is that it's a 4th, 7th, and conditional 3rd next year.

If that is true, that is the best deal I've ever seen. 

Don't hold your breath on that. It's from a little known writer who covers the Raiders from the east coast for CBS. We'll find out soon enough what we gave up for him.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Don't hold your breath on that. It's from a little known writer who covers the Raiders from the east coast for CBS. We'll find out soon enough what we gave up for him.

Plus, I don't think we have a 7th this year.

Archived