The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm not one to comment on whether or not this is the right way to do things but this doesn't settle well with me

On the one hand, it's a lousy thing to do. On the other hand, he's at least being honest and up front with them on doing what's best for them and transferring so they aren't sitting the bench.

A semester of coaching college athletics was enough to show me why I could never do it, with things like this being at the very top of my list. If you want to build a great team, you have to be cutthroat, and they're a horrendous football team. He has a chance to poach a lot of people in the portal and sign a big class due to his name and brand, so he's going to do it. 

The kids are an unfortunate casualty in all of this. That's the reality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

On the one hand, it's a lousy thing to do. On the other hand, he's at least being honest and up front with them on doing what's best for them and transferring so they aren't sitting the bench.

A semester of coaching college athletics was enough to show me why I could never do it, with things like this being at the very top of my list. If you want to build a great team, you have to be cutthroat, and they're a horrendous football team. He has a chance to poach a lot of people in the portal and sign a big class due to his name and brand, so he's going to do it. 

The kids are an unfortunate casualty in all of this. That's the reality. 

I think my biggest beef w/ it is his wording. You can tell the kids you're not going to play them but don't **** on them which is how I took his comments. I do agree w/ you that this wouldn't be for me either. I don't have the ability to just demean these guys like he did there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think my biggest beef w/ it is his wording. You can tell the kids you're not going to play them but don't **** on them which is how I took his comments. I do agree w/ you that this wouldn't be for me either. I don't have the ability to just demean these guys like he did there.

Yeah, he sounded like an idiot talking down to a bunch of kids that he has never met/have any rapport with. Give me a break with the “repeat after me” garbage. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This I wholeheartedly subscribe to. A simple "Hey guys, nice to meet you. I'll be honest, it's in most of your best interest to move and utilize the portal. If any of you needs help in that regard, I'm making myself and my staff available to find you a home somewhere and wish you nothing but the best. This is the unfortunately reality of the position you all are in and I felt like it was my responsibility to tell you the truth. If any of you have questions, my door is open and I'll shoot straight with you."

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So you basically want him to be passive in his words? Give me a break, they were 1-11 which means there was a bunch of poor coaching,poor attitudes, poor effort and poor attention to detail. I don't blame him for his approach, he needs to send a CLEAR message, he wants no parts of guys who refuse to do the little things in order to run a successful program, to hell with their feelings. These aren't middle school kids, these are men who were told real words, he is not going to kiss anyone *** from a 1-11 team.

What you fail to realize is if he comes in trying to be friends with these guys, all they are going to do is relax and resort back to their old, lazy ways, they need a shock, this was done for them to go back to their dorms and look themselves in the mirror and decide whether they really want to pour their whole self into this program or transfer to a place where the effort required isn't as high as what would be required at CU.

Prime sent a clear message 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So you basically want him to be passive in his words? Give me a break, they were 1-11 which means there was a bunch of poor coaching,poor attitudes, poor effort and poor attention to detail. I don't blame him for his approach, he needs to send a CLEAR message, he wants no parts of guys who refuse to do the little things in order to run a successful program, to hell with their feelings. These aren't middle school kids, these are men who were told real words, he is not going to kiss anyone *** from a 1-11 team.

What you fail to realize is if he comes in trying to be friends with these guys, all they are going to do is relax and resort back to their old, lazy ways, they need a shock, this was done for them to go back to their dorms and look themselves in the mirror and decide whether they really want to pour their whole self into this program or transfer to a place where the effort required isn't as high as what would be required at CU.

Going as far as to say that their parents were embarrassed of them/had to put up with them was a bit much in my opinion. That said, I have no issue with the rest of the message, especially this part:

Coach Prime pointed out that nothing was going to stay the same, from the uniforms to how Colorado conducted business. Sanders also noted that he sees the biggest problem with the team being that not enough people appreciate what they have, or believe in what they can be. “I have a problem when young men, with everything in front of them, don’t believe.” Sanders said. “That’s a problem”

He continued, “It’s a spirit around this team, around this school that is not traditional and in some kinda way you guys have accepted it and you’ve begun to be complacent with it.” At which point the new coach noted the players who chose not to come to his introductory meeting. “Some of the guys who aren’t here, who are so supposed to be here, those are the ones. All that’s gonna stop.”

Coach Prime also drove the point home that the facilities at Colorado are so vastly above what most student athletes get, and that a 1-11 record doesn’t reflect what the team should be capable of. “Our kids would go absolutely crazy to be in the situation you are in ... but you don’t respect it.”

He's 100% right on the mentality, the not respecting what the university brings, and how where he came from kids would kill for those opportunities and facilities, as well as the "no shows".

Context matters here IMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm not a Deion fan, but I have no issue with this. Some kids will take it as a challenge. Others will transfer. But Colorado needs to do some house cleaning. We're doing the same at UF. A ton of guys who aren't up to snuff and are here because Mullen was a lazy recruiter were basically told to look for greener pastures.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

High 3 star TE Jackson McGohan (the BMOC in the town I live in) is almost certainly committing to LSU on his visit this Saturday from what i've heard after decommitting from Cincinnati after Fickel left.  Crazy good hands and super athletic.  Not that fastest, but not slow either (I would guess around 4.7 ish, maybe a touch faster), has good agility and elite body control.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

High 3 star TE Jackson McGohan (the BMOC in the town I live in) is almost certainly committing to LSU on his visit this Saturday from what i've heard after decommitting from Cincinnati after Fickel left.  Crazy good hands and super athletic.  Not that fastest, but not slow either (I would guess around 4.7 ish, maybe a touch faster), has good agility and elite body control.

Had to coach against him a couple of times. He was impossible to defend in HS. Good ball skills, great high point ability, and has some natural ability to flex out wide. He continued to improve each year, showing flashes of capability with being VERY good. He'll need to add some size to that frame, but he has the potential to do so.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He sent a clear message and they weren't going to be a part of the team and he wouldn't even be coaching them lol. That kinda nullifies why you feel it's OK. If they're kids he's going to coach, yeah, less of a problem w/ it. The kids he's essentially refusing to coach though (telling them they need to go), yeah, a bit to much in my opinion. 

It's all opinion though. If you don't have a problem w/ it, nothing wrong w/ that. I can certainly see why some wouldn't but I don't like some of it.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

He sent a clear message and they weren't going to be a part of the team and he wouldn't even be coaching them lol. That kinda nullifies why you feel it's OK. If they're kids he's going to coach, yeah, less of a problem w/ it. The kids he's essentially refusing to coach though (telling them they need to go), yeah, a bit to much in my opinion. 

It's all opinion though. If you don't have a problem w/ it, nothing wrong w/ that. I can certainly see why some wouldn't but I don't like some of it.

Thats fine but you do know this is a business and he will be judged on if he wins or not, would you put your livelihood in the hands of guys who dont give their all? 

I certainly wouldn't, I think its fair to say the least....

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Had to coach against him a couple of times. He was impossible to defend in HS. Good ball skills, great high point ability, and has some natural ability to flex out wide. He continued to improve each year, showing flashes of capability with being VERY good. He'll need to add some size to that frame, but he has the potential to do so.

He's probably around 225-230 now, he and some of his teammates came to one of our last pee wee practices in October to talk to the kids, and he's definitely not skinny.  He was mostly used out wide this year, drove me nuts they didn't put him in motion more to create mismatches.  Was real hard to take down in space too, they should have schemed him more WR screens given our limitations at QB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't think he ever said he wouldn't coach them. I believe he said something along the lines of "if you aren't going to work hard for it, I won't be coaching you." Obviously paraphrasing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Thats fine but you do know this is a business and he will be judged on if he wins or not, would you put your livelihood in the hands of guys who dont give their all? 

I certainly wouldn't, I think its fair to say the least....

Oh I absolutely agree. There are many avenues he can take to accomplishing that goal. Again, if he is going to coach the players he's saying this to, I get it, but he's essentially forcing some out and w/ that context, I feel what he's saying to those kids is questionable IMO. I don't expect everyone to agree but I'm just explaining my stance on it.

• Like 1