Jump to content

The Official Recruiting Thread


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, buno67 said:

@NateDawg @TheRealMcCoy

The one thing that truly gives me hope that Carmen is truly a lock for tOSU is the Meyer effect. I like Helton and it looks like he has things looking up for USC and he is building a wall around the local talent. I just dont see him having the power to go and pick someone right out of buckeye country. I also would be more concerned if he didnt do the same stuff after his Clemson visit.

I ultimately agree with your overall point, but Its not so much the Helton effect as it is the usc/LA effect I'd be "worried" about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buno67 said:

@NateDawg @TheRealMcCoy

The one thing that truly gives me hope that Carmen is truly a lock for tOSU is the Meyer effect. I like Helton and it looks like he has things looking up for USC and he is building a wall around the local talent. I just dont see him having the power to go and pick someone right out of buckeye country. I also would be more concerned if he didnt do the same stuff after his Clemson visit.

That's a fair point.

Helton has done a pretty good job recruiting, but his out of state guys who were top recruits have really just been on the west coast or more so this side of the country.

Like he pulled Jay Tufele from Utah, but that's still the west.

It's definitely a long shot, but he's the out of state recruit I want the most, so I'm gonna keep hoping until he signs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That's a fair point.

Helton has done a pretty good job recruiting, but his out of state guys who were top recruits have really just been on the west coast or more so this side of the country.

Like he pulled Jay Tufele from Utah, but that's still the west.

It's definitely a long shot, but he's the out of state recruit I want the most, so I'm gonna keep hoping until he signs.

yeah thats the kind of radius USC has. That they should be able to go into the rockie mountain region and grab the big time recruits. Kinda like tOSU can do with the NJ/DMV area. Kinda like @1King kinda said the usc/LA effect helps but I dont think that alone is enough to grab a talent like Carmen away from a program like tOSU. To me I think Helton needs to established himself even more before he is able to go it an area like tOSUs backyard and be able to take a recruit. Maybe if USC gets back to where it once was under Pete, than I can see it coming in after kids like that but I dont see them being there yet. In reality tho, USC doesnt really need to recruit out here. As long as USC get the west coast/mountain region, they should be a great program once again

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 10:28 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

Pretty busy weekend for Oregon at their Saturday Night Live camp.

Commits:

4* TX WR Miles Battle

3/4* TX CB Verone McKinley

3* OR TE/DE Teagan Quitoriano

3* PA OL Justin Johnson

'19 4/5* TX WR Arjei Henderson

Supposedly there is 3-4 silents too. Very good class so far. Not sure if they will all stick (probably not) since they're from all over the country but this staff recruits like crazy.

More SNL action:

3* GA LB Andrew Johnson. Might be my favorite guy we've had committed. Insane offer list and film

4* OG Steven Jones. Big mauler. Cristobal likes a different type of OL than before.

 

Still 3 silents apparently...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

More SNL action:

3* GA LB Andrew Johnson. Might be my favorite guy we've had committed. Insane offer list and film

4* OG Steven Jones. Big mauler. Cristobal likes a different type of OL than before.

 

Still 3 silents apparently...

Jeez. Are you guys gonna fill up before September?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, buno67 said:

yeah thats the kind of radius USC has. That they should be able to go into the rockie mountain region and grab the big time recruits. Kinda like tOSU can do with the NJ/DMV area. Kinda like @1King kinda said the usc/LA effect helps but I dont think that alone is enough to grab a talent like Carmen away from a program like tOSU. To me I think Helton needs to established himself even more before he is able to go it an area like tOSUs backyard and be able to take a recruit. Maybe if USC gets back to where it once was under Pete, than I can see it coming in after kids like that but I dont see them being there yet. In reality tho, USC doesnt really need to recruit out here. As long as USC get the west coast/mountain region, they should be a great program once again

tbh USC should always recruit 5* kids nationally. That brand is a draw for anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbh USC should always recruit 5* kids nationally. That brand is a draw for anyone.

I agree with that but with a young coach, you need to focus on the local talent because they are going to be easier to get.

To me if you are trying to rebuild your program up, IMO you do that by building a fence up around the easier local talent and than start expanding. 

To me that was one issue with Texas ans Strong. Strong should of been able to recruit better at Texas because he was a pretty well known and proven coach at the time but he truly didnt focus on keeping the top talent in house. That allowed the likes of tOSU to come in and get the big time talent. Another example is tOSU when they hired Tressell. Cooper was one hell of a national recruiter but wasnt really doing anything on the field with them. When Tressel took over and had to "rebuild" tOSU, he did it by locking down all the big time talent in the state and than started to adventure out.

To me I dont think its a great idea for a HC who is trying to build up a program, to immediately go after all the 5* players in the country. I would go after the local 5*/4* type kids and really try to build something and than use that momentum to spring board into getting the big time recruits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, buno67 said:

I agree with that but with a young coach, you need to focus on the local talent because they are going to be easier to get.

To me if you are trying to rebuild your program up, IMO you do that by building a fence up around the easier local talent and than start expanding. 

To me that was one issue with Texas ans Strong. Strong should of been able to recruit better at Texas because he was a pretty well known and proven coach at the time but he truly didnt focus on keeping the top talent in house. That allowed the likes of tOSU to come in and get the big time talent. Another example is tOSU when they hired Tressell. Cooper was one hell of a national recruiter but wasnt really doing anything on the field with them. When Tressel took over and had to "rebuild" tOSU, he did it by locking down all the big time talent in the state and than started to adventure out.

To me I dont think its a great idea for a HC who is trying to build up a program, to immediately go after all the 5* players in the country. I would go after the local 5*/4* type kids and really try to build something and than use that momentum to spring board into getting the big time recruits. 

You're USC - you already have a fence around Cali for everything except the one QB Stanford wants and the occasional UCLA cat. You also own the mountain areas if you want.

USC should never have to take a step back recruiting and focus on a small base. It should always be able to croot nationally without losing anything on the home front.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...