Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

·
22m

Among the teams interested in trading for #Chiefs CB Marcus Peters were the #Browns and #49ers. This also means #Rams CB Trumaine Johnson is moving on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/967098992453660672

Trumaine, TP, and Mccaron should be reasonable targets in free agency.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/967098992453660672

Trumaine, TP, and Mccaron should be reasonable targets in free agency.

Yes they could be. I had Butler down as a CB but there are a few ??? with him. I would love it if we got Trumaine, Pryor and McCarron in FA. Add another vet or two for leadership and we could stroll into the draft with a clear picture of who we plan on targeting

That is all

mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Yes they could be. I had Butler down as a CB but there are a few ??? with him. I would love it if we got Trumaine, Pryor and McCarron in FA. Add another vet or two for leadership and we could stroll into the draft with a clear picture of who we plan on targeting

That is all

mastercheddaar

I also really like the idea of a FS so we don't HAVE to draft Minkah.  

Lemarcus Joyner or Tre Boston or someone like that I would really enjoy in FA since Pryor will be cheaper and McCarron will have a contract we can get out of after Darnold starts playing :-P.

30 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I also really like the idea of a FS so we don't HAVE to draft Minkah.  

Lemarcus Joyner or Tre Boston or someone like that I would really enjoy in FA since Pryor will be cheaper and McCarron will have a contract we can get out of after Darnold starts playing :-P.

Lamarcus Joyner is 99.99% heading back to Los Angeles. They're not going to let both Trumaine and Joyner walk. Trumaine is a virtual lock to be in a different uni next season now.

Looking at the draft and FA list, this is a terrible year to need a FS.

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Lamarcus Joyner is 99.99% heading back to Los Angeles. They're not going to let both Trumaine and Joyner walk. Trumaine is a virtual lock to be in a different uni next season now.

Looking at the draft and FA list, this is a terrible year to need a FS.

Yeah and I think that's part of the problem.  Unfortunately last year was a GREAT year to need a FS.  Draft Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Budda Baker, Marcus Williams, Justin Evans, Desmond King, I thought there were a LOT of options that we could have benefited from.  In free agency there was Tony Jefferson, Bradley McDougald, TJ McDonnald, Barry Church, and this was AFTER Eric Berry resigned.

Unfortunately we didn't get one, and Peppers didn't look like he could play the position.

That being said, this year I wouldn't mind if we at least took a look at Joyner (unless he resigns), Eric Reid, or Tre Boston, even take a look at Bradley McDonald.  I think any upgrade over what we have will be a huge addition to the team.  That being said, other than Possibly Fitzpatrick, don't see much of a true free safety in the Draft, Watts or Elliot in the second round maybe? 

I don't know where Rapoport got that the Browns were in on it unless he just assumed so. A handful of other sources, including Schefter, have said that they specifically heard that the Browns were NOT interested (like, not even wanting to talk about it). Which makes sense since Dorsey was there and this seems like a 90% character/locker room move.

Trumaine Johnson is washed....he has no speed and explosiveness left in his legs....he was exposed on vertical routes by slower WRs (Alshon Jeffrey and Dez Bryant) as well as faster ones like Julio Jones.

I was really disappointed in his tape this year.  Pay Kyle Fuller whatever he wants....pass on Trumaine Johnson. Johnson imo isn't an upgrade on what we have and isn't better than other options in free agency or the draft.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Trumaine Johnson is washed....he has no speed and explosiveness left in his legs....he was exposed on vertical routes by slower WRs (Alshon Jeffrey and Dez Bryant) as well as faster ones like Julio Jones.

I was really disappointed in his tape this year.  Pay Kyle Fuller whatever he wants....pass on Trumaine Johnson. Johnson imo isn't an upgrade on what we have and isn't better than other options in free agency or the draft.

I agree with this, but I have a feeling we're getting Trumaine. I continually mock him to us despite having the same reservations you have about him. He's also right in the danger range for paying free agents. He's going to get 1 last fat contract this off-season and probably never be better than he is at this moment. I don't want a 30 year old slow corner making top 15 CB money on the roster in 3-4 years and this is what's going to happen with Trumaine.

Browns - $110m

2nd is the Jets with $84m.

We're in great shape looking into the future. But still I don't think we need to reach in free agency this year. Just be shrewd, spend by all means but don't give Trumaine Johnson a giant contract when he'll be washed before halfway through it.

We probably aren't doing anything major this year with the rookie QB/free agent QB combination. So hold back a bit and next year we can really make the push.

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Our fan base is overly paranoid with the salary cap. Good teams know how to get out of bad deals.

True. I'm guilty of this. If they frontload deals to push a guy over the line, that's cool.

I dislike having old guys on big money and diminishing talent, but there are ways to avoid that whilst still getting some good years out of them.

38 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I dislike having old guys on big money and diminishing talent

This.

I generally dislike free agency because you are almost assuredly paying top of the market price for everything.  If a player signs with us, it’s not to win it’s simply for money, no two ways about it.

Most great don’t hit free agency either, so you end up paying good players like great players just because they’re available.

Id prefer if they filled some holes with moderately priced, stop gap vets and look for the “core” pieces via the draft. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

I generally dislike free agency because you are almost assuredly paying top of the market price for everything.  If a player signs with us, it’s not to win it’s simply for money, no two ways about it.

Most great don’t hit free agency either, so you end up paying good players like great players just because they’re available.

Id prefer if they filled some holes with moderately priced, stop gap vets and look for the “core” pieces via the draft. 

SIgning a bunch of free agents has worked for Philly and Jacksonville. They both destroyed the theory that you can’t buy contenders.

Finding talent in free agency is no different than finding talent in the draft.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

SIgning a bunch of free agents has worked for Philly and Jacksonville. They both destroyed the theory that you can’t buy contenders.

Finding talent in free agency is no different than finding talent in the draft.

Signing a bunch of good free agents has worked for them.

Signing marginal free agents won't work for anyone.

Trumaine Johnson is marginal talent at this point in his career.

Archived