Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

I personally believe that so far in free agency, we've made nothing but lateral moves and haven't truly gotten any better. Committing to Peppers as an overhang/box player is a no brainer, so I guess that makes us better. Randall is perhaps an upgrade at FS, but the CB's are essentially the same. We desperately need at least 1 if not 2 more outside CBs to drastically improve this secondary.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I personally believe that so far in free agency, we've made nothing but lateral moves and haven't truly gotten any better. Committing to Peppers as an overhang/box player is a no brainer, so I guess that makes us better. Randall is perhaps an upgrade at FS, but the CB's are essentially the same. We desperately need at least 1 if not 2 more outside CBs to drastically improve this secondary.

Can’t sign what’s not there (or not interested).

Id imagine we’ll see a big investment at CB on draft day.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Can’t sign what’s not there (or not interested).

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely just pointing out my belief that for all of the "moves" we've made in the secondary, we haven't gotten better in that department. We'd better address this via the draft outside of going QB #1 overall. 

Granted, if for whatever reason we decide to load up on OL, WR, and RB, then you can't address everything in one off-season. If they hit on 2 or 3 different critical position groups and get better in those areas, I'll handle getting torched in the passing game if we improve in other areas. I'd always take fixing/hitting on 75%.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Id imagine we’ll see a big investment at CB on draft day.

And if we do, I hope it's HIGH. I'm not interested in the shotgun approach to fixing that position in rounds 5-7 like we tried with WR a few years ago.

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We DRAMATICALLY improved the QB position (even if Tyrod is average) in free agency and improved the WR core. I just hope we bring back Pryor.

Just now, candyman93 said:

We DRAMATICALLY improved the QB position (even if Tyrod is average) in free agency and improved the WR core. I just hope we bring back Pryor.

Sorry @candyman93 I was speaking solely on the DB situation. I DEFINITELY agree about the WR and QB positions!

Just now, candyman93 said:

All good!

I think the upgrade at QB will at least help us win 2-3 more games next year, maybe more.

I've been on record as to saying that IF Tyrod stays healthy a full 16 games, I think that he alone is worth a minimum of 5 wins.

43 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Don't get Allen Hurns Now !!!!!! I'll cut you

I agree. He has been injured a lot and probably isn't worth the risk of the money it would take to get him here. You're right that we should probably just top up one more wide receiver somewhere in the draft. Good thinking and great threat.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree. He has been injured a lot and probably isn't worth the risk of the money it would take to get him here. You're right that we should probably just top up one more wide receiver somewhere in the draft. Good thinking and great threat.

He’s 26 years old and better option then Pryor in my opinion. If we don’t sign him I have the feeling the ravens will and we’ll regret atleast not driving up the price. I don’t even want to address WR till the 3rd day. I’m also intrigued by Jarius Wright 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

He’s 26 years old and better option then Pryor in my opinion. If we don’t sign him I have the feeling the ravens will and we’ll regret atleast not driving up the price. I don’t even want to address WR till the 3rd day. I’m also intrigued by Jarius Wright 

If we can get him fairly inexpensively by taking advantage of his recent injuries, then I'd be all aboard. That said, I have this feeling that for him to sign to the Browns that we might have to shoot him at least eight or nine per year, and I don't want to do that with having to pay Landry and Josh as well--too much tired to one position. I like Hurns well enough but just not sure I see it happening with who we already have. I see us keeping Corey Coleman and starting him, so we're really talking about our fourth wide receiver here. I don't think Hurns will accept wide receiver #3 or 4 money. I think he wants wide receiver #2 money, which doesn't make a lot of sense right now. I'd love to sign him to a prove-it deal, though, though I doubt he would want to sign that here.

13 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If we can get him fairly inexpensively by taking advantage of his recent injuries, then I'd be all aboard. That said, I have this feeling that for him to sign to the Browns that we might have to shoot him at least eight or nine per year, and I don't want to do that with having to pay Landry and Josh as well--too much tired to one position. I like Hurns well enough but just not sure I see it happening with who we already have. I see us keeping Corey Coleman and starting him, so we're really talking about our fourth wide receiver here. I don't think Hurns will accept wide receiver #3 or 4 money. I think he wants wide receiver #2 money, which doesn't make a lot of sense right now. I'd love to sign him to a prove-it deal, though, though I doubt he would want to sign that here.

Yes absolutely I didn’t think he would demand that much if that’s the case it’s a no from me. But if we can’t get him for a decent price then all for it. I really like his game when he gets going. Would compliment what we have really well. Idk from all reports it sounded like Coleman was all but gone 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

Yes absolutely I didn’t think he would demand that much if that’s the case it’s a no from me. But if we can’t get him for a decent price then all for it. I really like his game when he gets going. Would compliment what we have really well. Idk from all reports it sounded like Coleman was all but gone 

I like Allen Hurns, and he may be just what we need as far as our wide receiver core. It really saddens me if the team is already giving up on Corey Coleman. I've been hearing that around here for a while now, but I'm still curious if there is actually any substance to all that rumor. I just don't understand why they would give up on a former first-round pick after only two seasons that have been marred by random injuries that should not reoccur. I honestly want to give him this entire season before we choose to move on. His contract is very reasonable, so there is really no incentive to cut him or trade him for pennies. I hope Dorsey is listening.

I think Allen Hurns would be a nice pick up as insurance for Gordon (possible suspension) and Coleman (possible injury).  I would still like to see Terrelle Pryor come back also.  Our WR core was so bad last year that we need as much quality and quantity as we can get.

Peace!!!

Archived