Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

With the $59 million the Browns carried over, they have to use it or lose it per league rules. This will be the 2nd large carryover for 2 years meaning the Browns have to use it. 

Depending on what the Browns do, that's alot of money. Per spotrac, the Browns have $110 mil after dead money, and before the raise in the salary cap. So the Browns could have around $122 mil in 2 weeks. 

With $59 mil to spend, and none of our own players to resign as the Browns did that last year (besides JT), they're in a tough position to having to bring in a heavy load in FA.

Even with 3 players averaging $15 mil/yr from FA, the Browns will still need to spend another $14 mil somewhere.

Hopefully JT wants to keep playing and chooses to extend his contract. That will help. 

9 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

With the $59 million the Browns carried over, they have to use it or lose it per league rules. This will be the 2nd large carryover for 2 years meaning the Browns have to use it. 

Depending on what the Browns do, that's alot of money. Per spotrac, the Browns have $110 mil after dead money, and before the raise in the salary cap. So the Browns could have around $122 mil in 2 weeks. 

With $59 mil to spend, and none of our own players to resign as the Browns did that last year (besides JT), they're in a tough position to having to bring in a heavy load in FA.

Even with 3 players averaging $15 mil/yr from FA, the Browns will still need to spend another $14 mil somewhere.

Hopefully JT wants to keep playing and chooses to extend his contract. That will help. 

Duke Johnson is worth an extension immediately and would heavily consider extending Danny Shelton as well. I am also hoping that we use some mid and late rounders to trade for veteran players who would also come with higher salaries. We do have one player I hope to re-sign but it would obviously be a cheap deal is Marcus Martin. He is still incredibly young for already being in the NFL for 4 years at 24 and also has 24 career starts. He provides great insurance and depth to our offensive line.

Danny still has this year and his 5th year option, so I don't see them resigning him before that. I do agree they should resign him, after the 5th year. 

I agree with Martin getting an extension.

I'm curious if Dorsey will resign Johnson due to his love of drafting RBs every other year?

15 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I would resign Josh Gordon on a deal that won’t cost us much if we have to cut him. That will help with the money we have to spend this year. 

He’s locked up for 2018 and a restricted FA after that.

Realistically we have him for at least 2 more seasons if we want him.  After that, see where he’s at.

I’m not sure who it benefits to sign Josh Gordon to a long term deal right now.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s locked up for 2018 and a restricted FA after that.

Realistically we have him for at least 2 more seasons if we want him.  After that, see where he’s at.

I’m not sure who it benefits to sign Josh Gordon to a long term deal right now.

As long as we can get out easy it benefits us to tie him up

6 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Just need to get some pieces that are not strong in the draft.

FS = #1, imho

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why would he sign now though if that’s the case?

How do you establish his value?

I agree with them that you make the effort to extend him with a smart deal. I agree with you that he probably wouldn't do it because he can increase his worth considerably in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I agree with them that you make the effort to extend him with a smart deal. I agree with you that he probably wouldn't do it because he can increase his worth considerably in the meantime.

Most like he doesn’t sign, but we would be stupid not to try. Who knows maybe he really needs the money having been out so long. 

Crazy how young he still is

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/02/latest-on-2018-salary-cap

Looks as though the Cap is likely going up by an additional $11-12 million this year to 178/179 million.  

I'm getting a little pi$$ed at the NFL for continually moving the goal posts.  Sure, we've got a TON of cap space this year, but if a bump of $12 million allows a cap-strapped team to hang onto a player that they'd otherwise not have a chance of retaining, that Dorsey has targeted as someone that he wants to bring to Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/02/latest-on-2018-salary-cap

Looks as though the Cap is likely going up by an additional $11-12 million this year to 178/179 million.  

I'm getting a little pi$$ed at the NFL for continually moving the goal posts.  Sure, we've got a TON of cap space this year, but if a bump of $12 million allows a cap-strapped team to hang onto a player that they'd otherwise not have a chance of retaining, that Dorsey has targeted as someone that he wants to bring to Cleveland.

Look on a bright side: It allows us to overpay more without being cap-strapped.;)

Archived