Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

On 2/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, dawgpound1816 said:

With the $59 million the Browns carried over, they have to use it or lose it per league rules. This will be the 2nd large carryover for 2 years meaning the Browns have to use it. 

Depending on what the Browns do, that's alot of money. Per spotrac, the Browns have $110 mil after dead money, and before the raise in the salary cap. So the Browns could have around $122 mil in 2 weeks. 

With $59 mil to spend, and none of our own players to resign as the Browns did that last year (besides JT), they're in a tough position to having to bring in a heavy load in FA.

Even with 3 players averaging $15 mil/yr from FA, the Browns will still need to spend another $14 mil somewhere.

Hopefully JT wants to keep playing and chooses to extend his contract. That will help. 

Extend contracts on players that we feel the team can build around? 60 million is a ton of cap to spend. I'm going to come out and say there is no reason we cannot get some vet exp on this team and fill a few holes on the defense and WR core. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think he’s saying he’d rather draft a guy to play qb and pay the corners.

Exactly 

Kenny Vaccaro might be another option but I think hes a better fit at strong safety 

Tre Boston and Davon House especially are names I think we might target

Wouldn't mind dropping some good money on a few one or two year deals for potential impact guys that can't quite get a long deal. You see some instances like that every year.

Maybe it's a Ziggy Ansah on a two year deal for something like 10-12m per. There's your impact pass rusher without locking you into a long term deal that you regret half way through.

I'd also like to see us make a push for Allen Robinson if the Jags don't tag him. Wouldn't be against Sammy Watkins even though he's been a letdown considering his draft hype. As long as it's not ridiculous money.

Definitely one of the three top corners.

15 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Wouldn't mind dropping some good money on a few one or two year deals for potential impact guys that can't quite get a long deal. You see some instances like that every year.

Maybe it's a Ziggy Ansah on a two year deal for something like 10-12m per. There's your impact pass rusher without locking you into a long term deal that you regret half way through.

I'd also like to see us make a push for Allen Robinson if the Jags don't tag him. Wouldn't be against Sammy Watkins even though he's been a letdown considering his draft hype. As long as it's not ridiculous money.

Definitely one of the three top corners.

I'd be stunned to see Sammy Watkins leave L.A. after the year he had. 

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd be stunned to see Sammy Watkins leave L.A. after the year he had. 

I'm not so sure. The franchise tag is $16m and that's a lot for a receiver that had 500 yards (albeit 8TDs). They also have Joyner to consider. They likely won't value Watkins the same as other teams on the open market who have more money to spend and have a fresh view of Watkins' potential.

Gurley, Woods and Kupp all had more receiving yards and catches for the Rams last year.

15 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I'm not so sure. The franchise tag is $16m and that's a lot for a receiver that had 500 yards (albeit 8TDs). They also have Joyner to consider. They likely won't value Watkins the same as other teams on the open market who have more money to spend and have a fresh view of Watkins' potential.

Gurley, Woods and Kupp all had more receiving yards and catches for the Rams last year.

I would like to see us grab some DB's in both free agency and the draft.  I thought that Vacarro played FS for some reason.  Did he play SS with New Orleans?

5 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I would like to see us grab some DB's in both free agency and the draft.  I thought that Vacarro played FS for some reason.  Did he play SS with New Orleans?

Yeah he's more in the mold of Peppers/Kindred than a centerfielder at this point. Injury issues and history of PED use.

I watched him against Gronk this year. They were using him in that matchup. He got manhandled but Gronk does that to everyone. Still I don't think he's that good and I don't think he fits what we need at safety.

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Engelwood/Ohio native Kurt Coleman could have Cleveland written all over him if he has anything left in the tank. The Panthers just cut him.

Why would they cut Kurt Coleman? He didn't have a horrible year. Is he just a cap casualty? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived