Marcus Peters traded to Rams

Chiefs_5627

12 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

I think Peters was as advertised coming out of college; unquestionably gifted on the field, can be a headache and at times, emotionally out of control

If you can't/won't tackle, half of your being "gifted" is non-existant. Peters is unprofessional and selfish beyond description. I suspect Peters will be a non-starter much sooner than later. I mean really, Peters can be beat deep too - we've all seen it. And getting beat deep when you're playing 10 yds. off the ball is about as sad as you can get. The Rams will finally get tired of him eventually.

Late to this party, but....if he was that great, how come so little (by some peoples terms) in compensation?  And don't tell me the Chiefs got 'hosed'.  It was probably a good read on his worth...give some, take away more.  My bet is he'll cost his new team two losses with his inability to control his testosterone. Takers????  Bottle of Makers Mark and a dozen good cigars.

3 hours ago, jimmydee said:

Late to this party, but....if he was that great, how come so little (by some peoples terms) in compensation?  And don't tell me the Chiefs got 'hosed'.  It was probably a good read on his worth...give some, take away more.  My bet is he'll cost his new team two losses with his inability to control his testosterone. Takers????  Bottle of Makers Mark and a dozen good cigars.

It's a money thing. He will be getting a big raise after next season, for which we had no cap space.

Also, the discipline problem is serious.

J

Ok folks, my two cents.

1. This was not a money thing. Peters could have been kept on the team for two more years easily. 5th year option would have been more expensive than his current contract, but way below the going rate for a shutdown corner.

2. His performance was not an issue. Some complain about him playing 8 yards off. I think that was by intent. First: If it wasn't he'd been benched two plays into freelancing. Second: Playing off allowed him to do the thing he does best: go after the ball. Third: Playing off covers a whole lot of ground. Give'm the two yards. Pick'em off the next time.

3. This is about controlling the guy. It was well known he may become a headache. Obviously NOW the team had enough of it. Punting balls into the stands (unsportsmanlike), throwing flags around (unsportsmanlike), showing up without socks, taking the rest of the game off (weird), getting into issues with coaches (bad thing with Andy around), considering tackling as a "business decision". And that's only what we know of. Guess there have been other things behind closed doors.

4. (speculation) Team reputation. You have some guys performing extremely well. Everyone and their mothers will mentionsome of them as role models. On the current Chiefs: DJ, Berry, may be Tamba. Peters performed at the same level. But I never heard anyone mentioning him as a role model. Coincidence?

Bottom line: This was about cleaning up the locker room before things get out of hand. And if it was that: Good luck LAR. 

Okay I can agree with a lot being said, but playing off ball does absolutely nothing to help a guy from getting beat...  in fact playing off leaves him more susceptible to getting beat deep. 

Peters was at his best playing close where he could use his excellent feet to disrupt WRs before they got up to speed.

Secondly, I don’t care if people talk bad about Peters... but I can say that he was 1 of maybe 2 guys that looked liked they gave a damn the 2nd half of that playoff game.

He’s going to be an excellent fit with what Wade Phillips likes to do, opposed to our conservative style

7 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Okay I can agree with a lot being said, but playing off ball does absolutely nothing to help a guy from getting beat...  in fact playing off leaves him more susceptible to getting beat deep. 

Peters was at his best playing close where he could use his excellent feet to disrupt WRs before they got up to speed.

Secondly, I don’t care if people talk bad about Peters... but I can say that he was 1 of maybe 2 guys that looked liked they gave a damn the 2nd half of that playoff game.

He’s going to be an excellent fit with what Wade Phillips likes to do, opposed to our conservative style

I would agree he was an emotional hot head but when you take plays off its hard to say he gave a ****.  It is very easy to mistake giving a **** in respects to having a bad sore looser attitude.  Maybe it was both, I don't know.

Archived