Morgan Burnett/Derwin James

Deekster37

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Derwin James.  He's the next Steve Atwater.  He has legit Hall of Fame potential. 

Whoever drafts him will get a top 3 safety for the next decade.

Except, the NFL is now a passing league and a Safety who is an in the box type, are simply not in demand. The league's HC's and DC's want Safeties who can handle man to man coverage as their top ability and I am not sure James fits that mold..

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Except, the NFL is now a passing league and a Safety who is an in the box type, are simply not in demand. The league's HC's and DC's want Safeties who can handle man to man coverage as their top ability and I am not sure James fits that mold..

Nah.  He fits that mold too.  I don't think you've watched Derwin James play all 3 years at Florida State.  This year they played him more in the box but he has the versatility to play all over the field.  He's actually a free safety and not a strong safety.

Derwin James is the rare guy that is physical enough to play in the box but he also has the range and athleticism to play single high free safety.  Steve Atwater was a similar anomaly.  He was also 6'3" 215 lbs with the versatility to play free safety while also being known as one of the fiercest hitters ever. 

Derwin James will be the best safety in the NFL for a majority of his career (or at the very least one of the best).  A talent like this doesn't come along very often.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I actually think the league is trending towards a safety/linebacker hybrid league where an extra safety is put on defense to either converted to linebacker or play the role of one. New England has a lot of three safety looks. Arizona and he LA Rams have former safety first round picks playing linebacker full time. James is like a new school/old school player that is good enough to transform the scheme he is utilized in to optimize his presence on the field.

Last I checked James can play deep, in the box, cover the slot, hit, blitz and couple that with tremendous size, range, athleticism, leadership and football character.

He played only two years in college while being moved everywhere to take advantage of his versatility and I imagine played a linebacker role as a prep. He'll only get better in coverage as he gains more experience in the back of a defense. 

Derwin James is an elite talent. Morgan Burnett is a very good player approaching 30 years old. I'm taking Derwin James all day...not even a thought.

Derwin James > Minkah Fitzpatrick

Harrison Smith is a terrible comparison for Derwin James. Harrison Smith is nowhere near the athlete that James is and I don't think James diagnoses as well as Smith. Two different players IMO.

James won't play linebacker. Doesn't need to. You don't want him taking on blocks. He can make plays behind the LOS lined up as a deep safety. He's got that kind of closing speed. You waste that asking him to sift through garbage at linebacker. He's going to play FS or SS.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Derwin James is an elite talent. Morgan Burnett is a very good player approaching 30 years old. I'm taking Derwin James all day...not even a thought.

Derwin James > Minkah Fitzpatrick

Harrison Smith is a terrible comparison for Derwin James. Harrison Smith is nowhere near the athlete that James is and I don't think James diagnoses as well as Smith. Two different players IMO.

James won't play linebacker. Doesn't need to. You don't want him taking on blocks. He can make plays behind the LOS lined up as a deep safety. He's got that kind of closing speed. You waste that asking him to sift through garbage at linebacker. He's going to play FS or SS.

I agree I like everything said here

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's a better athlete than Harrison Smith though.

Yes he is. Smith is one of the few players on defense who improves each level with his responsibilities. I think Smith is even a capable blitzer in addition to his coverage ability and in the box skills. Derwin James does all those things you ask Harrison Smith to do.

Archived