Would you rather?...

bucsfan333

Sign a guard like Andrew Norwell for ~$12M per year or Josh Sitton for ~$8M per year -OR- draft Quenton Nelson at seven and pay him ~$3.8M? All three are plug and play guys.

The $5M-$10M difference could be the deciding factor in whether or not we can resign our own guys in a couple years. And Marpet is gonna get a similar (or higher) contract when it's time.

What do you think?

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sign a guard like Andrew Norwell for ~$12M per year or Josh Sitton for ~$8M per year -OR- draft Quenton Nelson at seven and pay him ~$3.8M? All three are plug and play guys.

The $5M-$10M difference could be the deciding factor in whether or not we can resign our own guys in a couple years. And Marpet is gonna get a similar (or higher) contract when it's time.

What do you think?

This is going to come off rude but how do you know you get Nelson at 7? No gurarentee. 

No gurantee Norwell comes here either. 

Heres the thing: we are going to extend Ali Marpet. At center it’ll cost 6 million. If it’s st guard possible 8 million. 

We need to get a left guard. No doubt about it. Looks like we’re keeping sweezy. 

Im not sure what licht plans to do but he’s done a good job evaluating OL players coming out of the draft. 

Denver could easily sign Cousins and take the Mauler Nelson at 5. 

16 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

What do you think?

Personal what I would do is grab Sittion at 8m. Red has a point about, you never know if Nelson will be there. Sittion can play 3+ years left and we can use the draft pick in the first on another position whether that be CB, FS, DE, DT or even trade back

To simply answer your question @bucsfan333 I would sign Norwell. Give me a lock down G for the next 5-7 years to pair with Marpet. I truly think our GM will be able to maneuver the cap as need be to sign our guys but we need to invest in our OL and get the best guys who won’t be patchwork.

Additionally, I think we’ll move back from 7 and gain some draft picks, so that goes into consideration as well when I made my above comment. However, if we were to sign Norwell and stay at 7 and Nelson was BPA. I’d draft him. Norwell-Marpet-Nelson. Jameis should put up all pro numbers and we should be able to run whenever we want to. I’m all about the lines this off-season.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind any of the three...

To answer the question though,  I'd prefer Norwell. He's an elite guard and just coming into his prime. Sutton is still very good, but there is definitely more upside with Norwell, Sitton has plateaued and will be trending downward here soon...

How about this scenario. We sign either Norwell or Sitton. In the draft the board plays out to at #7 Nelson is the BPA. Do you pull the trigger?

I would, that would give us the makings of an elite interior line. Similair to what Cowboys had...

Just now, REDandPEWTER said:

CAn you pay marpet, Norwell and if Smith balls out, him too at LT? 

That's pretty much the question I'm asking.

Norwell at $12M, Marpet at $11M, and D Smith at $10M puts us at $33M a year on just those three. Add in Evans' $18M and Jameis' $28M and we're looking at ~$79M in just those five guys. That's a lot of cheddar invested in just a few guys on offense.

We could save ~$10M by drafting a guard.

6 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

LT would cost more than a Center. 

The highest paid LT in the NFL (Okung) makes $13M. I understand that the best players don't always make the most money. But I don't think D Smith is gonna cost much more than $10M.

Either way, we're still looking at ~$80M invested in five offensive guys if we spend big on a guard in free agency.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

That's pretty much the question I'm asking.

Norwell at $12M, Marpet at $11M, and D Smith at $10M puts us at $33M a year on just those three. Add in Evans' $18M and Jameis' $28M and we're looking at ~$79M in just those five guys. That's a lot of cheddar invested in just a few guys on offense.

We could save ~$10M by drafting a guard.

We could find a good guard within the first three rounds of this draft. I don’t know our payroll but it could be sky high if we don’t invest the $ properly.

20 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Would marpet. Really cost 11 million? No pro bowls. No all pro selections. I get 6-8 or 9 million range. But 11? 

I don't know. And we shouldn't have to bid on him since I'm sure we'll lock him up well before he becomes a free agent. But the market has been set. And with the cap going up every year, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to make close to that.

Archived